New "Knob-model" feels too loose.

JEM10th

Hi!

recenly bought a set of 2 Speednobs in the new model for my PRS Custom 24. I have a small tendency to arthritis in m thumb, and the new model seems less slippery constructed.
Tookoff the 5-way rotary-switch knob and tried the new knob. It did just fall into Place an feels loose enough to fal of in a gig.

Problem is that the shaft on the rotary-pot is solid so i cant use the trick to split it apart to make it tighter.

Any ideas would be great, i still want to be able to take it off later so gluing is out of he question.

One might think it would be some allen wrench locing screws in those knobs, as they are Heavy priced for a piece of plastic......... :confused:

Yess i´ll try that. Thanks man :)
I´ll guess that he rotary pot shaft is slightly thiner tan Volume and tone pot´s shafts...
Expesive little buggers anyway... :D

A small piece of aluminum foil, over the shaft of the pot, made it tight enough to not fall of. Temporary solution that works. :)
Still thin its a Heavy price for a small piece of plastic, but it´s a PRS original, som it´s Worth it. :D

The USA Core models have the control speed knobs (for tone and volume pots) attached in the factory, using a piece of black tape, they were very tricky to remove, the new replacement lamp shade knobs are very lose too.

For a guitar that oozes perfection in every other sense, I just don't understand why the control knobs aren't made to fit, especially as they are so expensive. It's a small detail, but one which really baffles me; does everyone have to use tape or enlarge the opening in the shaft of the pots to make original PRS control knobs fit?

The problem is some shafts and knobs are metric others are imperial. The size differences are only small but enough to produce problems where knobs are loose or too tight to push on if you don't make sure your fitting the right knob to the right spindle.

Don't let me get near it. I recently found my old hot glue gun and since then I've been finding all sorts of things to glue. hahaha

The shaft on a 5-way is different from "normal" or "regular" volume and tone pots. When I'd remove the knob to do a proper cleaning of my CU22, I had to set that knob aside, or else I'd play the "This one's not it" game.

The problem is some shafts and knobs are metric others are imperial. The size differences are only small but enough to produce problems where knobs are loose or too tight to push on if you don't make sure your fitting the right knob to the right spindle.

I thought the problem was that the USA PRS knobs were made to fit the imperial sized shafts of the pots used on core models, which were perhaps larger than CTS pots. This is because they were too loose on the CTS pots I had installed on my SE, however, when I tried to fit them to my McCarty which has the standard, original pots as installed by PRS at the factory, they were also loose on those. The question is, which imperial PRS guitars are the Lampshade control knobs made for? Someone please come up with the answer! I have no clue at all which pots the PRS control knobs are made to fit. Perhaps this is a mystery only PRS can answer?

I solved the problem by opening the slot in the shaft with a couple of screw drivers. First a smaller one, then a larger one.... opening it a little at a time and checking at each stage until the knobs slipped on tight enough. I didn't want to open them too much and then have to risk damaging the splines while closing them.

You can buy SE knobs for metric pots, and USA pots for imperial sized pots. I still can't understand why PRS don't make them the correct size to fit their pots..... ???

Not wanting to do PRS out of a parts sale but those knobs and pots aren't unique to PRS you can buy them anywhere. If I was having issues I would buy the knobs from where I bought the pots or vice versa.

Last edited:
AllParts sells copper sleeves that are designed for this purpose and for mounting hex nut mounted knobs that tend to not go on straight after tightening. They are $2.50 for 5. AllParts has a 10 dollar order limit however. I found that these sleeves work well for loose or wobbly knobs and don't spread the shaft possibly breaking a tang.

Back