New guy with ground hum noise issue - SE Santana

Take guitar to a guitar shop (usually well grounded) and try it on a clean Fender amp, also with a overdrive pedal to test amount of buzz with gain on. If no buzz you know its your home setup or grounding at home. These arent as quite as Les Pauls but man the tone is just so better. Mine buzzes at my old home but not when played elsewhere. PRS Dragon and HFS pickups are great to throw in btw...same they put in the real Custom 24s.
*HFS and Vintage Bass pickups, not Dragon.

What kind of amp is it. Not all Marshall DSL's are built the same and mine had the fire from the mainboard to the FX loop poorly routed close to the AC wires. That created a lot of hum. Also if you have your amp near a busy outlet with an fx loop. Make sure the cables don't go too close to the wires in the outlet that can cause a hum.

Hum in the middle position splitting the two outer humbuckers is due to the single coils on either side not being in phase with one another. So they basically buzz like two single coils. One of my guitars did that so I swapped a couple of the 4 wires around and flipped the magnet. Lots of info online. That made them humbucking in the middle position.

Not sure what to suggest about electricity in the house. My older California home has no ground in the study. But humbuckers don't make any buzz unless they are split into single coils. Single coil noise is normal and not very pleasant. But if both coils are supposed to be active then it should be humbucking (which basically means no hum). I actually tried to ground the outlet by attaching a wire from ground to the cast iron water pipe under the house. Found out that at certain times of day a low voltage was passing through the water pipe and made noise worse.

Most of the time I don't have much noise on my rig, I don't really do really high gain though. My DSL tube amp is quieter than my CODE50 on the buzz noise front.

Does your amp buzz with nothing plugged in. What if you plug a cable without a guitar attached. you can move it around see where any rf or magnetic interference is in your room. Move it near a power source, lights etc and it will hum. Make sure your cables are not damaged. if one of the solder points in the plug is loose it will make a racket too.

I just got a CU 24 floyd and have similar problems. I got a 1 spot CS-7 that removed a lot of noise from my pedal board, especially from digital reverb and delay but I still get a little buzz from the guitar. My OD pedal and G10 wireless relay seems to boost the faint 60 cycle hum that remains.

The remaining noise seems to be radio emissions or something because it seems to be directional with the angle of the guitar. Today I decided to add some copper shielding to just the control cavity since I don't want to change strings. The guitar already has shielding tape and I wasn't impressed with the input jack (replaced the jack while I was in there. Removed all the electronics, probed all the solder joints with a toothpick just in case, seemed fine. Installed the copper tape and closed it up. Buzz is greatly diminished. It's still there with volume over 7 on the guitar but a fraction of the old loudness. A little hum with coil tap which is normal since with only about 10% of the second coil sounding your not getting full humbucking.

I'm probably going to get a Furman M-8Lx lights filter/conditioner since I have a modeling amp, tube amp, pedal board, computer, marshall woburn speaker, couple of lamps, two monitors etc all plugged into one outlet and being in an older house that's not grounded, I tapped the outlet with a seperate wire to cast iron plumbing outside. Registers as grounded outside, but it's probably not very good.

Anyway, the copper shielding tape made a pretty big difference in my case, and that was just the control cavity. The New power supply helped with the pedal noise.

Back