New guy with ground hum noise issue - SE Santana

What you're hearing is electro-magnetic interference. Moving the guitar around is altering it's relative position within the magnetic flux field. The fact that it happens to more than one guitar would suggest there may be an earth problem with your rig somewhere. ie the transformers are not benefitting from usual screening/earth connection OR the other probable culprits are electric light dimming switches, and chordless phone systems somewhere in very close proximity. Tip...... If things around you don't change, then change the things around you. Take your basic amp + guitar to a completely different environment/location and see if that makes any difference.

I tend to agree. I moved my rig out to my livingroom and didn't have the problem. So would I need to just move my rig or is there something I can buy to help? Kinda don't wanna take up the livingroom and I have 5 pets that shed. They aren't allowed in the jam room but I can't keep them out of the livingroom.

What you're hearing is electro-magnetic interference. Moving the guitar around is altering it's relative position within the magnetic flux field. The fact that it happens to more than one guitar would suggest there may be an earth problem with your rig somewhere. ie the transformers are not benefitting from usual screening/earth connection OR the other probable culprits are electric light dimming switches, and chordless phone systems somewhere in very close proximity. Tip...... If things around you don't change, then change the things around you. Take your basic amp + guitar to a completely different environment/location and see if that makes any difference.

Can someone explain what is meant by an earth problem? Does this mean I need to get my rig to a repair shop or do I need an electrician to fix the wiring in my apartment? I really need some help as I haven't been able to plug in and play in at least 2 weeks. My next move is selling all my gear b/c it's pointless to own if I can't use it.

Can someone explain what is meant by an earth problem? Does this mean I need to get my rig to a repair shop or do I need an electrician to fix the wiring in my apartment? I really need some help as I haven't been able to plug in and play in at least 2 weeks. My next move is selling all my gear b/c it's pointless to own if I can't use it.
The term "earth" (as used here) is another way of referring to "ground" - a possible earth problem meaning a bad ground somewhere, but you've already looked into that...

I've looked into a ground issue in the outlets in my apartment with an outlet tester and they all show correct grounding. So would this issue presumably be in my rig? Could something have gone bad in my amp. I had a mili-second power outage where everything just flashed off and back on in the blink of an eye. my comp rebooted but everything else seemed ok. I was playing and had my amp and pedalboard all on when this happened. Could something have shorted in my amp or my power supplies or my pedals?

I saw a topic on another forum about noise entering into your gear, and they talked about line conditioners.
Much different than an ordinary surge protector, and this one here was recommended to me.
Furman M-8X2 400V Power Conditioner
Sweetwater has them also, but I bought one a few minutes ago from Amazon so I can have it by this Friday.

You might check into one of these.
The reviews are very good on them.
They are rack mountable too.

M-8x2-quarter.jpg

M-8x2-rear.jpg

Please let me know how well it works. What kind of noise issues are you having?

Please let me know how well it works. What kind of noise issues are you having?
The only noise I am getting is when I split the coils on my SE Custom 24, or switch from middle position to treble.
Will fire up my amp and guitars a bit later and report back.
I think my noise though is coming from the guitar itself, and not a line issue.

Here is my issue:

I had this same problem once. It drove me bonkers.

Then I went to the store and bought an outlet tester. Turns out the outlet I was using was the only one in the house that had no ground.

400-030.jpg

I still deal with noise in the line from time to time - even with a Furman power conditioner in the loop. Turning off the air filters I run in the big rooms always helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a noise issue last year. Drove me nuts because it coincided with me swapping some pups and I was convinced I'd messed up the wiring.

After much messing around testing everything each way we could we determined the source was outside the house. Went away in the end.

What I will say is that the body can act as an antenna and direct some of that noise to your guitar. If you touch the guitar strings, bridge, pup covers and the noise goes away I think your guitar is probably ok.

Any street lamps outside? Can you get hold of another amp to test or take your amp setup somewhere else.

This can be a bee-itch, but you'll have to go through things methodically and try taking things out of the equation to see if anything changes.

Worst humming issue I had turned out to bethe halogen lights in the ceiling of the room directly below where my amp was situated. Only happened when they were on!

OK, I only plugged in my SE Tremonti Custom to my new amp yesterday, and it was hooked to the new Furman line conditioner.
No hum in middle pickup position, a little on the neck pickup, but lots of hum on the bridge pickup.
Pretty much the same as the SE Custom too.
I pretty much think it is the SEs, as my 2012 Gibson '61 Reissue SG does not do this.

The SE Custom is worse if you pull the tone control to split the coils.
It will be interesting to see how the 408 compares to my SG as far as hum goes once it shows up.

I just purchased a NEW cu22 and its doing the same thing. My 03 cu22 and 06 cu24 dont do it at all. But they dont have the alumunim tail peice. Kind of a bummer, as Ive had the guitar a few days and really not impressed. Pretty bad hum.

Take guitar to a guitar shop (usually well grounded) and try it on a clean Fender amp, also with a overdrive pedal to test amount of buzz with gain on. If no buzz you know its your home setup or grounding at home. These arent as quite as Les Pauls but man the tone is just so better. Mine buzzes at my old home but not when played elsewhere. PRS Dragon and HFS pickups are great to throw in btw...same they put in the real Custom 24s.

Take guitar to a guitar shop (usually well grounded) and try it on a clean Fender amp, also with a overdrive pedal to test amount of buzz with gain on. If no buzz you know its your home setup or grounding at home. These arent as quite as Les Pauls but man the tone is just so better. Mine buzzes at my old home but not when played elsewhere. PRS Dragon and HFS pickups are great to throw in btw...same they put in the real Custom 24s.

How about using an inexpensive receptacle tester to see if there's a wiring problem:

https://www.amazon.com/ELECTRICAL-RECEPTACLE-TESTER-OUTLET-PRONG/dp/B002Q3R7HI

It's not a wiring problem, it's just noise. I'm assuming we're talking about guitar direct to amp, right? If not, try that. Next, see what other things are on that circuit. Next, physically move to a different room and see if the noise goes away. If you're anywhere near a computer it will pick that up too. Then if there's still noise you have two options: try an isolation transformer or buy a noise gate. There is just so much more emf out there today than even five years ago. It's everywhere and guitars are basically antennas.

Back