New guy here with a few EG questions

fishyfishfish

Hi everyone! I am new here, and while I have a couple PRS guitars, I just picked up a 1993 PRS EGIII, and have a few set up questions.
The main problem I have with this guitar is that when I put on a set of 10's (What I use on my other guitars) and set up the action just like my other guitars, this sucker is very hard to play. It almost feels like I put on a set of 11's. Am I missing something on the EG that others don't have? I tried a set of 9's (To light) a combo set (Kinda funky) every measurement and action adjustment I have made has been cloned from my CE22, and this thing plays way hard, kind of like my old Strat I had. Just night and day from my CE and McCarty, am I missing a piece of the puzzle?
Thanks for any help!

Old EG set up

Hi everyone! I am new here, and while I have a couple PRS guitars, I just picked up a 1993 PRS EGIII, and have a few set up questions.
The main problem I have with this guitar is that when I put on a set of 10's (What I use on my other guitars) and set up the action just like my other guitars, this sucker is very hard to play. It almost feels like I put on a set of 11's. Am I missing something on the EG that others don't have? I tried a set of 9's (To light) a combo set (Kinda funky) every measurement and action adjustment I have made has been cloned from my CE22, and this thing plays way hard, kind of like my old Strat I had. Just night and day from my CE and McCarty, am I missing a piece of the puzzle?
Thanks for any help!

I had an older bolt-on PRS that didn't "cooperate" when I attempted the same thing. My main concern was the higher string height towards the body. After a lot of different adjustments were made, I finally took the leap and attempted a shim under the neck. I used a large triangular pick (thin), cut to fit. After readjusting (raising) the bridge saddles, it got much better. Of course, thats only if the string height above the 14th fret is your issue. BTW...thats probably my favorite SAS now. I also took a idea from one of the Private Stock guys and moved one wire and now I have the single coil sounds with tone knob down...love it!!!!! see you all next week...

Back