New for 2017. Does this guitar remind you of something?

charliefrench

This caught my attention. A new guitar model from our good friends at Gibson. These photographs were captured at the company's stand in the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas recently (not by me).

Looks nice I think but it reminds me of something and I cannot figure out what it is. Maybe a guitar from another manufacture? Have you guys ever seen a guitar similar to this?

gibson-solidbody-1200-80.jpg

Gibson%20NAMM%2017_zpseoeo0r2n.jpg

Lollers. Single volume, tone knob, pickup selector. The shape's not quite the same, so they could argue that it's a natural evolution of something between an offset guitar and a standard double-cut guitar shape. Probably a standard contemporary Gibson scale length, too.

Lollers. Hey, look at that, I don't have G.A.S. I do wonder what pickups they're putting in it and what tone woods they chose, whether it's a one-piece, 3-piece, or 5-piece neck, etc. Just curious though.

A couple folks on the Hamer board thought it reminded them of Bakers. I think our Mr. Baker is more tempting to pick up.

Looking at these again, the 23rd and 24th frets are not exactly accessible, are they?

Once upon a time, I had a mess of Gibsons. Now down to two----And one of them is for sale. (I suppose I will hold on the ES-335 for sentimental reasons). Nothing there remotely tempts me.

Throw some EMGs in there... put ibanez on the headstock and sell it for 700... and it would sound reasonable. I still wouldn't be interested though.

Only Gibson I have left is a Goldtop. It only took me 2 years of playing every goldtop I put my hands on to find a good one. And the neck fretwork binding on one side is still awful.

When I first saw that, thought it was an updated Spirit model. Might be for all I know.

While I don't mind the lower level Gibson SG stuff, the best Les Paul I played in the past year was an Epiphone with P90's. Nice neck on that one.

I've heard guys complain when the lowest of the 3 controls is the switch. It's just too far away and you hit the other controls if you try to do it quickly. I wonder why they didn't choose the back one?

Oh, and I think it's ugly.

How about the green LP with a trem in the photo?

Back