New Birds In My Nest

veinbuster

Zombie Three, DFZ
I got a call about noon yesterday saying the FedEx was really excited about a box he had just delivered to the Mrs. She wouldn't let him open it so it waited until I got home. I watched it out of the corner of my eye for a while as I tended to a few things, but finally got some pliers, pulled some giant staples and took a look inside:
CK_45PWithPaisleyCase.JPG

Quite nice. The Adirondack top looks enough like Sitka that I don't think I could identify it by sight.
CK_BirdsOfAFeatherTopFromDoug.JPG

I have never played an Adirondack top before. I like the effect it has on bracing, so time to give it a try. DFD and Gun at WildWest had looked after the guitar before shipping, and I guess the FedEx guy really did like it because it was spot on in tune out of the case.
CK_63PPlaysBirdsOfAFeather.JPG

I thought it might sound quite a bit like other guitars made from rosewood and spruce, but it is quite different. Not quite as dominant a bottom end as some, perhaps in part due to the smaller package of the Angelus. The most noticable difference was how quickly the harmonics presented themselves. Some players talk about notes blooming, but on this guitar the harmonics are right there. I suspect the Adirondack plays a large roll in this, but I'll have to find another guitar with that top to see if there is a pattern. Regardless, the harmonic treatment is noticeably different from any of my other acoustics.

After about an hour, I decided to check out the elctronics: Fishman Matrix. I don't often use the onboard electronics in an acoustic, but wanted to know what they sounded like. Not instructions for the two controls, but one was clearly volume. The other I don't quite want to label as tone because it didn't really have the typical tone control impact. It seemed to just shift the mids a bit. I was mostly playing the guitar and didn't take the time to fully explore the controls. Plugged straight into a Fishman SA220 it sounded - well pretty much like an acoustic guitar, just a bit louder than when it is sitting on your knee.

Probably the easiest acoustic neck there is to play, but most of you who have played a PRS acoustic already now that. Enough babble. You'd probably like a closer shot of the neck.
CK_80BirdsOfAFeatherTopNeck.JPG

Last edited:
Congrats! That is incredible. Great review!

Just a question. Does your wife usually let the FedEx guy open your packages for you? :iamconfused: I'm happy when mine doesn't just toss the package on the doorstep or leave it for someone else to "discover".

Fantastic!

I have the Adirondack top on my Tonare Grand, and you're right about the harmonics being right there; I suspect that the PRS bracing design and other features also account for a good chunk of that.

I wonder if you're the first on the internet to get one?
I was told that it was the first one. Not really sure and that didn't influence my interest.

Just a question. Does your wife usually let the FedEx guy open your packages for you? :iamconfused:
Very rarely. It only came up because the FedEx guy was so excited about what he expected was inside the big box from PRS.

Wild West had this one in their last case opening vid right? I saw that (and the teasers from PRS on here), and then I was waiting for it to show up on the WW website. I guess it didn't 'cause you already bought it.
Congrats on one of the most stunning acoustics ever!

Tom

I was told that it was the first one. Not really sure and that didn't influence my interest.

Very rarely. It only came up because the FedEx guy was so excited about what he expected was inside the big box from PRS.

History that can't be erased like the old guy who went to GC to sell his Strat that was the second one made($50k).

Back