New Basement Studio

That Ravens sign is the shizznitt!

:) I thought that might your attention, Shawn!

RavensNeon1.jpg

Reactions: SLY
Some before and after...

Here is a view from what will become the hall into the studio, before and after:

before1.jpg

after1.jpg

A view through the shop wall into the studio. The near pole is buried in the shop wall and the 2 far poles are in the hallway wall. Before and after:

before2.jpg

crowded1.jpg

The double doors by the new closet. Note the concrete floor, the half insulation, inadequate security and the lack of any ceiling... Before and after:

before3.jpg

after3.jpg

Now with upgraded handle lock, deadbolt, iron bar into the concrete, alarm and a couple of other things I won't divulge...

Reactions: SLY
Outstanding result :D

I see the TD-20, you a drummer too?

I have been playing drums since 1964....

The acoustic set is in their cases. It is a 1971 Ludwig in 'psychedelic red' with Paiste cymbals. A true classic.

I have only been seriously trying my hand at guitar for about 6 years.

Last edited:
Unbelievable work rugerpc! It is amazing!!

(can you come over to my house next?)

Pretty impressive to see from start to finish. Congrats on the new space but by the looks of things you already are in need of an expansion :D

The room shrank when I started putting stuff in there - fortunately, it has everything in it I want at the moment except a couple of comfy chairs...

Fantastic!

Unbelievable work rugerpc! It is amazing!!

(can you come over to my house next?)

Thanks guys. I can't stop looking at the pics myself. I sit here in my office and look at the pics of the studio at home. I'm sure that that reveals something psychologically unflattering, but I'm not sure what...

Anyone want a run-down on the tools used? (Tim Allen grunt here...)

Before I go all Tim Allan on you, I had to start in the very beginning.

The basement was a big project. Though I can conceptualize pretty well in my head, I know from other projects that I can get a better plan if I actually make a plan.

So, some measuring and drawing were the first order of business. Even rough sketches help nail down details that are only finalized as you are actually putting up walls.

plan.jpg

Measure and mark...

My main measuring tool was a 30' Lufkin rule. For longer bits, where I was planning hallways and general room locations, I used a 100' tape. But the Lufkin was the workhorse here.

I used the plumbob in the near right for one wall before I realized how much it would slow me down and bought the 3 axis laser level in the center of the pic. I ended up using it for the layout of almost everything in the basement from the walls to the ceilings to the shelves in the closet. Simply indispensable.

Also indispensable: levels, steel rules, framing square, speed square, chalk line, drywall T square, surveyor's string, telephone twine, voltage sensor and outlet tester. The telephone twine has a sticky wax coating which lets you secure a line just by wrapping a couple turns around a nail ore something - no knot needed - thus speedy and un-doable. It does tend to get interesting when discovered by a long-haired cat as the larger cat and I found out. It only took an hour to free him....

And of course marking things like pencils, Sharpies and paint and Post-Its.

MeasureNmark.jpg

Back