New 594 E string breaking at bridge saddle

xinu

Hello all,

I just bought a new PRS 594 and only after a few hours play I've broken 2-10 gauge E strings. The break appears to be at the front of the saddle.

I've taken a close look at the saddle and there doesn't seem to be any burrs at the edges or in the saddle string grove but the slot does feel sharp at the edges (not chamfered in the least). If I put my finger nail at the front edge of the saddle grove I can just about file my nail on it.

Is this the typical feel of 594 saddle? If not, what should I do to diagnose further or correct?

Cheers,

Greg

I'd get some sandpaper, fold it in half, and gently smooth it down... but that's me.

I'd guess it's a metal defect. If it was purchased retail you can take it back and get a new saddle from the retailor. Or you can do it yourself like Sergio says above.

Well, taking it back to the dealer for a fix would be a day trip to solve a hopefully reasonably small problem.

Sergio's solution sounds simple to me and no doubt has been done before to resolve this kind of string stress.

Thanks for the advice. I was just wondering if what I was describing sounded to be the likely cause. And a cure for the cause.

Another idea... you can put that saddle on the low E and put the low E in the high E location. Probably won't break the low E string (but I could be wrong).

There was a bad batch of 594's. I'm handling the disposal, just send it over.
Yes, I had an email on that already and just sent it off to the disposal location. Hopefully is the same address as yours.

Another idea... you can put that saddle on the low E and put the low E in the high E location. Probably won't break the low E string (but I could be wrong).

Thanks for that. Good idea! Plan 'B'.

Back