New 2017 PRS SE Custom having issues with tuning stability

Haxasaurus

Hey everybody, I'm super stoked to have gotten my dream guitar this past week but I'm having some issues that maybe you'll be able to enlighten me on a bit.

When I got the guitar, it seemed well enough set up from Sweetwater, but I didn't pay much attention as I was going to replace the strings with a thicker gauge. I replaced the stock strings with some 10-52s and tuned down to drop C and realized the strings weren't quite fitting in the nut slots very well. I took it to a guitar tech and had him widen out the slots and he also made them a bit deeper for better intonation on the first few frets. When I brought it home I set the neck almost totally flat, adjusted the action and the intonation and thought I was good to go.

After having some initial tuning instability, I looked up here on the forums some ideas and found out I could adjust the floating trem (first one I've owned) to make it perpendicular to the body of the guitar (to compensate for the increased tension from the thicker strings). After I did that, I noticed some improvements but it's definitely still not ideal. I re-set up the guitar because of the changes I made to the trem and put some pencil graphite in the nut slots to lubricate them. Still, a little bit better, but not nearly what I was expecting.

For example, if I play through a 3-5 minute song (without using the trem or any insane amount of bending), it's almost guaranteed that I need to re-tune at least one string as it will be several cents off from when I started. And because I need to re-tune that one string, it's likely to throw off another string (is the trem really that sensitive? haha). I know it's not a lot, but when you play a full chord you can hear is nastily ringing out. Now, if I do bend heavily or use the trem, it doesn't really stand a chance.

I'm kind of at a loss here because the only thing that I'm aware of that I haven't adjusted is the pivot screws on the trem, mostly just because I'm not too knowledgeable of them. I want to love this guitar so much, but this flaw is kind of preventing that. To add, the strings are definitely stretched in by now and I have about 2-3 windings on all of the tuning pegs (about how much I normally do). I don't hear any "pinging" when I am tuning so I am relatively sure the nut is cut correctly. Also, the pickups are the recommended length away from the strings (per the PRS setup guide) so I don't think that's an issue.

Any clues?

So after some thought, I'm almost completely sure that the issues I'm having is coming from the fact that this guitar has a floating tremolo. I think it's just the nature of the beast, unfortunately. I'm thinking of getting a tremel-no system to install to either hardtail the guitar or set it up for dives only. Does anyone have any experience with this and think it would alleviate my issues?

edit: Actually, I'm having second thoughts about this...I imagine the guitar was designed for bending of strings and use of tremelo without compromising tuning stability too much. I don't think I'd want to resort to buying an aftermarket product to fix this.

Last edited:
If you are sure that the trem has been leveled using the trem claw springs, and the nut is cut correctly and the nut slots are absolutely smooth with no burrs for a string to catch on, and lubed, then it may be an issue with the 6 knife edge screws. Those screws can be adjusted but only a certain way and they have to be precise or you will damage the knife edge. Id never give advice out on how to do that because im no expert and id hate to see you damage it.

If you are sure that the trem has been leveled using the trem claw springs, and the nut is cut correctly and the nut slots are absolutely smooth with no burrs for a string to catch on, and lubed, then it may be an issue with the 6 knife edge screws. Those screws can be adjusted but only a certain way and they have to be precise or you will damage the knife edge. Id never give advice out on how to do that because im no expert and id hate to see you damage it.
Hey, thanks for your input! I'm not totally sure how to see there aren't any burrs on the nut without a microscope but just looking at it, it seems smooth. Maybe I'm just overreacting and this is everyone's experience? I've never played a guitar with a floating tremelo so I really don't have much to compare it to besides my hard tail guitars.

Man, I'm struggling with the same thing. The floating bridge is the culprit because when I tighten the the claw springs and drop the bridge down to the body, the problem goes away. I'm a relative newbie, and haven't played a zillion guitars, so I don't really know what is "normal," especially regarding the PRS's tremolo.

I've had it "professionally" set up twice, with no real improvement. I think its the nature of the design.

Fabian

I feel ya. I've decided to send it back...trems are just NOT for me I guess. I'm going to replace it with the Mark Holcomb signature, mostly because it has a fixed bridge. The less moving parts, the better it is for me. I love everything about the guitar, the way it feels, plays, and sounds, but if it can't keep in tune for more than a song, it's not for me.

I feel ya. I've decided to send it back...trems are just NOT for me I guess. I'm going to replace it with the Mark Holcomb signature, mostly because it has a fixed bridge. The less moving parts, the better it is for me. I love everything about the guitar, the way it feels, plays, and sounds, but if it can't keep in tune for more than a song, it's not for me.

It took me ages to figure out how to get them to stay in tune, but going forward i plan to stay away from PRS trems as well, the design in my opinion is not great, its too prone to issues, but its debatable.

It took me ages to figure out how to get them to stay in tune, but going forward i plan to stay away from PRS trems as well, the design in my opinion is not great, its too prone to issues, but its debatable.
Yeah there's definitely a learning curve with this trem that I wasn't expecting, but it is still doable. It's just that the cons outweighed the pros for me in this case.

If you have locking tuners then you don't want 2 or 3 string wraps. Put the hole in line with the fretboard and pull string through tight. Clamp it tune it cut off the extra. Should be less than one wrap when up to pitch.

If you have locking tuners then you don't want 2 or 3 string wraps. Put the hole in line with the fretboard and pull string through tight. Clamp it tune it cut off the extra. Should be less than one wrap when up to pitch.
Thanks for chiming in! Unfortunately, I don't have locking tuners, just the stock PRS ones.

Back