Need help Phase I tuner replacement

Kfowler8

Hi guys. I could use your help. I’m sure this has been asked before t some point. I have a Private Stock from 2002. #297. I’m the original owner. The guitar has the old style phase I winged locking tuners in gold.

Well I was doing some maintenance last night and One of the thumb screws on the tuner broke off. Unfortunately the other half of the screw is in the tuner shaft. If I could get it out, all I’d have to do is replace the thumb screw. I don’t see anyway to remove it though.

So I believe I’m going to need a new tuner. I was going to call PRS on Monday and see what they say. I know tuners generally aren’t covered by the lifetime warranty but maybe they’ll make an exception since it’s a Private Stock. If not, do you know any place I can get a single gold winged tuner? I really don’t want to replace all six if I don’t have to.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi guys. I could use your help. I’m sure this has been asked before t some point. I have a Private Stock from 2002. #297. I’m the original owner. The guitar has the old style phase I winged locking tuners in gold.

Well I was doing some maintenance last night and One of the thumb screws on the tuner broke off. Unfortunately the other half of the screw is in the tuner shaft. If I could get it out, all I’d have to do is replace the thumb screw. I don’t see anyway to remove it though.

So I believe I’m going to need a new tuner. I was going to call PRS on Monday and see what they say. I know tuners generally aren’t covered by the lifetime warranty but maybe they’ll make an exception since it’s a Private Stock. If not, do you know any place I can get a single gold winged tuner? I really don’t want to replace all six if I don’t have to.

Thanks,

Kevin

Maybe a call to John Mann? Doesn't look like he has gold, but he may be able to fix the one you have.

https://us.prsaccessories.com/collections/guitar-cases-and-gig-bags/products/prs-multi-fit-case

Of course, I'd call PRS first and see what they say.

Good luck!

If you have pick tools it's possible sometimes to use them to catch an edge and turn them out.

You could also take it off the guitar and use a soldering iron to heat the material around the broken screw. Might let surrounding material expand enough to allow broken screw to turn out.

Good luck

If you have pick tools it's possible sometimes to use them to catch an edge and turn them out.

You could also take it off the guitar and use a soldering iron to heat the material around the broken screw. Might let surrounding material expand enough to allow broken screw to turn out.

Good luck

That’s a good idea. I’ll try that.

I did hear back from John Mann. I’m going to send him some pics. So that’s a viable option.

Back