NCED!

justmund

Plank Spanker
New Classic Electric Day!

I've been after a 1988 Classic Electric for a long time, and when this one popped up on the local market for very reasonable dollars, I had to jump on it.

It's no secret the original Alder-bodied CEs are favoured around here, this one sports a 2-piece body with a bit of subtle figuring. I'm guessing they saw this one had a bit o' flame and decided to stain it, rather than the usual one-piece body + opaque finish. Unfortunately the serial number has been taken off this one due to a neck refinish, there's nothing under the pickups or neck either, but the headstock logo gives it away as being an '88.

I was originally planning on a white refinish, but after seeing the top I'm now hesitant... I will change the pickups out, not sure what for just yet. Maybe the uncovered 53/10s from my S2 Mira (which could get some P90 lovin'), or a 59/09 bridge and a Fralin Big Single for the neck.

It does need some work, there's a shim under the nut and the frets aren't great. I've got a new nut kicking around so that will go in too. The tone speed knob isn't original (it goes to 11?) but pretty sure I've got some PRS ones in the parts drawer too.

Less talk, more pics:

36169137281_8770d95bed_k.jpg

36169144571_09ff2f617c_k.jpg
36169132461_99185f2d60_k.jpg

36260602916_5b4a3f4c92_k.jpg

36302509535_83f80cb128_k.jpg

Sweet as sweet! I think you're right to be hesitant on a paint job. I dig the finish, and top.

Sweet score! I agree with above...keep it this color, but fix that christmas tree!:eek: Gonna put the 5-way back in?
Beautiful guitar.

@toothace the original 88 CE's didn't have the rotary. They came with a 3 way switch that had the middle setting be a coil split of both buckers. Very interesting wiring.

That's an amazing looking piece of alder. When you first texted me a pic I thought for sure it was maple.

Thanks guys!

Beautiful guitar.

@toothace the original 88 CE's didn't have the rotary. They came with a 3 way switch that had the middle setting be a coil split of both buckers. Very interesting wiring.

I had forgotten about this too! I might put a Freeway 6-way toggle in it when I change the pickups out ;)

That's an amazing looking piece of alder. When you first texted me a pic I thought for sure it was maple.

So did I! I should have checked the lower horn (hehe); there's no seam there where the cap would usually show (no binding).

Score!! Those early CE's are badass rawk machines. That toggle switch is not standard issue -- IIRC it was a metal toggle and then the 5-way rotary in that model as it evolved.

I vote for keeping that finish too.

And the stock pickups are pretty good if they're matched with an amp that relies on preamp gain for its dirt (Boogie, Soldano, etc.). Less so if you're into Marshall/Fender-style dirt.

Back