NAMM 2016 - 1st Time Attendee - What to expect?

CVS

Not so new member
Even though I only live 30 miles away from Anaheim, this will be the 1st year that I will attend NAMM. I am excited to finally get the opportunity to go!

In general terms, what should we (speaking for 1st timers) expect?
Should we plan on going for more than 1 day?
Will PRS let you demo their products? Some question for other guitar and amp exhibitors?
Is there a best time to arrive - depart each day?
Are there any "must see / visit" exhibits / booths?
Is there anything we should do in advance of attending(ignoring the badge process which I understand)?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I haven't been to one in years but I showed up when it opened and left when I was tired. The noise is ridiculous so I wouldn't bring small children or the elderly. Or a significant other if they gripe a lot.

Expect to see freaks, geeks, weirdos, famous people and posers. You may also see freaky geeked out weird famous people posing for pictures.

Generally you can touch whatever is out there and the reps are really good people for the most part.

That's about it.

Sorta like sex for the first time.

I haven't been to one in years but I showed up when it opened and left when I was tired. The noise is ridiculous so I wouldn't bring small children or the elderly. Or a significant other if they gripe a lot.

Expect to see freaks, geeks, weirdos, famous people and posers. You may also see freaky geeked out weird famous people posing for pictures.

Generally you can touch whatever is out there and the reps are really good people for the most part.

That's about it.

Sorta like sex for the first time.

You were watching me?????

Hello!
I'm slated to be there doing demos with Keeley Electronics.

There's way too much to see to take it all in - so the best advice I'd have is to pick a few booths you really want to see, make it a point to find them and see them, and anything else is gravy. Its easy to get overwhelmed (and lost), so also make sure to take time to eat and breath! :)

Hope you enjoy the show!
Jack

Hello!
I'm slated to be there doing demos with Keeley Electronics.

There's way too much to see to take it all in - so the best advice I'd have is to pick a few booths you really want to see, make it a point to find them and see them, and anything else is gravy. Its easy to get overwhelmed (and lost), so also make sure to take time to eat and breath! :)

Hope you enjoy the show!
Jack
Thanks for the advice. I went to the NAMM web site and had a look at the floor plan and booth layout. It is overwhelming. So then I decided to download the Xcell file that contained the names & locations of all the exhibitors and have made a short list of the ones I really want to see.

Hope to run into you at the show.
Carl

It is like Disneyworld to a 10 year old.....

I walk that thing over and over and over. I love seeing all the "stuff" and all the folks I only get to see once or twice a year...

I have asked my CHO (Chief Houshold Officer - my wife) for "additional" funding. My request is being "evaluated":)

Well that's good! Just make sure to have a lawyer present and document everything, that way if any additional funding did happen to present itself, you would be free from any liability both legal and financial.
I'm not sure if all of this is necessary, bcs I'm not married, but it does seem to be a good idea ;)

I attend Anaheim show annually, and here are my general thoughts.

It is the Mecca for music instrument enthusiast, there is just so much to see and touch. You will see brands and products that you have never seen or heard of before. It is a great place for start up vendors to introduce themselves and their products to the world. Many of these start up vendors will be in the Section "E" which is essentially the basement of the Convention center. Section's A,B,C, D on the Main floor have most of the well established vendors. On levels 2 and 3 you will find some of the larger brands such as, Roland, Fender, Gibson, PRS, and Peavey. If you are looking for Yamaha you will have to go next door to the Marriott.

People generally attend the show for two reasons, First reason is to check out the latest equipment and actually be able to speak to the smartest person in the booth. The Second reason has multiple reasons including: seeing and being seen with Rock stars and other musical celebrities, Stand in line and get autographs by some of these same Celebrities and to grab as many free bags as possible.

The show gets progressively busier each day. Sat tends to be the most crowded as this is when most celebrities are invited to make appearances, and more locals drive in and fill the convention center.

I admit it is hard to deny the novelty of seeing some of the 80's rock legends walk around or seeing many of the "You Tube" icons walking around and making videos.

But really I come to see and touch new equipment and see the demos, and the Best day for this is Thursday. This first day is always the most productive for me as the crowds are less and you can actually walk around without getting bumped by people wearing backpacks. I Stay until about 2pm on Friday and then I head out to Airport to get out before it gets too packed.

I don't stay around for Sat or Sunday anymore, It is just nuts. You feel like you are in a herd of cattle. It becomes nearly impossible to get into any of the booths to see or talk to anyone and booths that are not crowded.. Well lets just say they don't have anything to draw the crowd or celebrities for that matter.

Wear comfortable shoes, I would eat a nice heavy breakfast, as the food in the convention center is not that great and if you are on a schedule you may not want to stop to eat. They have a half of dozen food trucks outside and those are pretty good, but there are several places to get Alcohol and coffee.

Enjoy the show, take pictures, post them on FB and make all of your friends jealous.

Last edited:
I attend Anaheim show annually, and here are my general thoughts.

It is the Mecca for music instrument enthusiast, there is just so much to see and touch. You will see brands and products that you have never seen or heard of before. It is a great place for start up vendors to introduce themselves and their products to the world. Many of these start up vendors will be in the Section "E" which is essentially the basement of the Convention center. Section's A,B,C, D on the Main floor have most of the well established vendors. On levels 2 and 3 you will find some of the larger brands such as, Roland, Fender, Gibson, PRS, and Peavey. If you are looking for Yamaha you will have to go next door to the Marriott.

People generally attend the show for two reasons, First reason is to check out the latest equipment and actually be able to speak to the smartest person in the booth. The Second reason has multiple reasons including: seeing and being seen with Rock stars and other musical celebrities, Stand in line and get autographs by some of these same Celebrities and to grab as many free bags as possible.

The show gets progressively busier each day. Sat tends to be the most crowded as this is when most celebrities are invited to make appearances, and more locals drive in and fill the convention center.

I admit it is hard to deny the novelty of seeing some of the 80's rock legends walk around or seeing many of the "You Tube" icons walking around and making videos.

But really I come to see and touch new equipment and see the demos, and the Best day for this is Thursday. This first day is always the most productive for me as the crowds are less and you can actually walk around without getting bumped by people wearing backpacks. I Stay until about 2pm on Friday and then I head out to Airport to get out before it gets too packed.

I don't stay around for Sat or Sunday anymore, It is just nuts. You feel like you are in a herd of cattle. It becomes nearly impossible to get into any of the booths to see or talk to anyone and booths that are not crowded.. Well lets just say they don't have anything to draw the crowd or celebrities for that matter.

Wear comfortable shoes, I would eat a nice heavy breakfast, as the food in the convention center is not that great and if you are on a schedule you may not want to stop to eat. They have a half of dozen food trucks outside and those are pretty good, but there are several places to get Alcohol and coffee.

Enjoy the show, take pictures, post them on FB and make all of your friends jealous.
Thanks for the detailed report. I am definitely planning to go on Thursday and one other day. (I live nearby) I plan to demo as much "stuff" as I can.

Expect lots of people. Like tons of people :D. Thursday and Sunday are the best days to go for demoing products IMO. I feel those are the least crowded days. Saturday is always super hectic, but usually are plenty full of rock stars walking around and in booths signing autographs. As others have mentioned try to set certain brands you want to scope and spread it out accordingly. One day usually isn't enough to see everything so its best to spread it out if you can. Most importantly, have fun. It's a great way to check out new products for the year and you can meet some really cool people.

Thanks for the detailed report. I am definitely planning to go on Thursday and one other day. (I live nearby) I plan to demo as much "stuff" as I can.
Enjoy your self, it is truly a site to see and a experience unlike most people get to see. Go on Thursday to check out equipment and go on Saturday to people watch.

One other important thing, I assume you have a NAMM Show badge reserved in your actual name. They post guards at every entrance door and you must show both your NAMM Badge and Your ID. If they don't match the will not let you in. In the Past Too many people use to share their badges and the Show was even more crowded than it is now.

I have printed out a bar code that has my name on it and according to the instructions, I have to go to "Badge Will Call" to get the actual badge (the bar code gets scanned). I should be all set. On Thursday, I plan to visit PRS, Fender, Fishman, Collings, and Electro Harminox and maybe Roland (if time permits). Not sure which other day I am going yet. I have my local mom and pop guitar store to thank for this opportunity.

Back