Name your "Guilty Pleasure" Album

WOAH! When I read the first part, I started really getting weirded the hell out. Because, I did in fact have a silver-grey pair, and a blue pair, and a...well, you get it, I was quite the collector of parachute pants...my closet looked like a bag of Skittles...it's true. Besides, you can never have to many pairs of shiney nylon, pants with numerous zippered pockets....I've waited 35 years for them to make a comeback...sigh....

Nope, we're good, never fell out of a cute girls car window at 16....However, I did jump from a cute girls bedroom window when I was 16, when her dad came home early from work one afternoon...girls couldn't resist the parachute pants or the mullet...the peach fuzz mustache was just straight up overkill...ahh, the glory days.
Ok, that’s better. If you had said you’d also dated a twin, then I would have sworn you were my doppelbänger...err...doppelgänger. (Sorry, I couldn’t resist)

And another one came to mind. Anyone remember April Wine?

PEW PEW PEW PEW!!!!1

LOVE these guys! Man, me and my buddies listened to Harder Faster and Nature Of The Beast a ton back in the early 80's. April Wine was the first concert I ever saw in '81. Uriah Heep opened for them. Great show!

Very cool Les! So in essence they were the godfathers Techno? I Dig Daft Punk...but these guys are actually artist. Not knocking Daft Punk, just saying they're basically cool DJs with a cool gimmick, they just don't seem as original now, hmmm...Kraftwerk is visual, musical and performance art all rolled into one...Very cool, I've learned something new today and I appreciate it!

Daft Punk are actually good musicians, and it shows in their productions, their writing, and work. They’re more than DJs by miles and miles. Just put one of their songs from that grammy winner on, and try to duplicate all the parts to get a feel for the difficulty involved.

But as with many other pop-electronic musicians, they’ve been influenced by everyone who came before them, and that has to include Kraftwerk. The very fact that DP made such use of vocoders tells you something, since the first pop use of them was on “Autobahn.”

What is sad, is that a real artist like JT has probably never heard fans scream like that for him at a concert before. :(

Yeah, he has. I’ve been where it happened, long, long ago.

Incidentally, Taylor Swift is a real artist, too. It’d be a lot cooler if folks sportin’ big criticism understood how difficult it is to make records that the public actually wants.

Few have done it. Many have tried and failed.

Last edited:
Yeah, he has. I’ve been where it happened, long, long ago.

Incidentally, Taylor Swift is a real artist, too. It’d be a lot cooler if folks sportin’ big criticism understood how difficult it is to make records that the public actually wants.

Few, if any, here have done it.
Thanks Les, your knowledge is appreciated.

Steelheart...Firehouse...enuff said!

Daft Punk are actually good musicians, and it shows in their productions, their writing, and work. They’re more than DJs by miles and miles. Just put one of their songs from that grammy winner on, and try to duplicate all the parts to get a feel for the difficulty involved.

Hell yeah, they’re amazing. Random Acces Memories has been stuck in my car’s CD player for years straight. On top of that... I’d like to see anybody who doesn’t think that DJs and electronic music producers are “real artists” try it. Go ahead, I’ll wait.

Hell yeah, they’re amazing. Random Acces Memories has been stuck in my car’s CD player for years straight. On top of that... I’d like to see anybody who doesn’t think that DJs and electronic music producers are “real artists” try it. Go ahead, I’ll wait.

A thousand pardons...just read my post and corrected it...what I was attempting to convey to say was Daft Punk in particular, are IMHO the highest form of art in this genre, to me anyway...and that they we NOT just cool DJ's with a cool gimmick...my bad, my dyslexic a$$, and my 4th glass of wine, apparently interrupted my brain to finger transmission...I shouldn't drink and post...

I've tried for years to get some of the more closed minded music buddies of mine to appreciate DP, if for no other reason for the production value alone. R.A.M. is one of my all time favorites I would literally place in in my top 10 albums of all time!

Bottom line, art will always be subjective. To me, anyone who can move a crowd or for that matter a single person to dance, cry, break $h!t, or evoke an emotion (good or bad) for that matter is what I consider as "a real artist". Again, sorry for the buzzed post fellas. ;)

True. She was also named after James Taylor, so I assume they had some mentoring going on. I'd like to be a fly on that wall.

Me, too.

Plus, anyone who’s ever performed on a very loud stage, in a big venue (even using in-ears), with sometimes things working so you can hear everything, and sometimes not, knows how hard it is to stay on pitch from time to time.

People used to post snippets of Led Zep to show how off Jimmy Page was at times. Yeah, that happened at times. But he wrote and played the f^cking parts, produced the records, and wrote the music for the songs. Not a bad day’s work. I’ll forgive him for not being a “real artist.” :rolleyes:

I edited my post so as not to offend the real artists. I will bow out of the conversation so you can stop with the rolleyes. ;)

Every time you get a little too comfortable and say something like you're talking with friends, you get a quick reminder. I meant the "manufactured star" in a way that needed explanation. Without one, I've apparently offended people here and Jimmy Page. Statement retracted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back