Name your "Guilty Pleasure" Album

I was reminded of a guilty pleasure while shopping today, when I heard it over the loud speakers at the store.

I saw Aldo Nova at Market Square Arena, when Fantasy was a hit. Got the album. Still have it. And yet, I felt weird hearing the song. The lyrics are like a cheese stick with grated cheese and parmesan cheese, dipped in cheese sauce. It's the same chords over and over, with a super-simple lead that points out the chorus.

These days, and I can't say why, I don't want to like the song. But once in a while, I think about it, and I'll crank it.

The video just adds extra cheese on it, and you might say this is the case about many songs and videos. I think that I'd been used to metal being self-aware as it harbored a sense of humor. With artists like Aldo Nova, I got the opposite impression, and there was just something that feels odd about that. It's the difference between being goofy on purpose, and being serious while coming off as goofy in an unintended way.

This might be my best self-definition of "guilty pleasure."
Saw your video and it reminded me of these guys, when I saw them a couple of times at Norwich University in the late ‘80’s.

I started my usual you tube trawl and happened across this track.

Nice to see the guitarist using a PRS

That leopard skin suit ROCKS!!!

If I remember correctly, he wore it during the concert.

The cat suit lives on, having been passed to a new generation.

jools-holland-st-vincent.png

Saw your video and it reminded me of these guys, when I saw them a couple of times at Norwich University in the late ‘80’s.

I started my usual you tube trawl and happened across this track.

Nice to see the guitarist using a PRS

I like the the...uh, hand singing ? What's that smell??? Ah! Of course copious amounts of chhheeesssseee! Wow that was almost completely a dud...The PRS as always, a saved it!

I like the the...uh, hand singing ? What's that smell??? Ah! Of course copious amounts of chhheeesssseee! Wow that was almost completely a dud...The PRS as always, a saved it!
I think it’s supposed to be theatrical rock!

It impressed the hell out of me when I was 17!o_O

I was reminded of a guilty pleasure while shopping today, when I heard it over the loud speakers at the store.

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! First of all, where the hell were you shopping GuitarDrummer?! Secondly, How do I get there!!!!

I had this single on a 45 that I literally wore out! Which in turn was the VERY reason... my dad bought gave me my very first set of headphones...apparently, long term hearing damage wasn't a "thing" back in the day...that's what I tell the Ginger Goddess every time she says my music is too loud...my standard response is.... HUH?

I'll have to remember next time to yell...you can thank my dad, Radio Shack and Aldo Nova....While pointing at my ears...good one bro!

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! First of all, where the hell were you shopping GuitarDrummer?! Secondly, How do I get there!!!!

We were at Fry's Electronics (of all places), in Woodland Hills, CA.

To get there, set your GPS to: 34° 10' 52.799" N 118° 35' 43.984" W

That's so awesome! Flirtin' with Disaster was the theme song to my very first speeding ticket...Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, Lynard Skynard (duh, I'm from Alabama) among others were on one of my mix tapes aptly labeled, "Cruzin Tunes". Sounds like our "formative years", were eerily similar boogie. My hard earned cash, was blown on...girls, of course tires, gas (I mean, who doesnt love a good burn out) car audio, concert tickets. Oh and on parachute pants, hair products and well....drugs...ahhhhh, those were the days! Good times!
Ok, this is getting kinda creepy-close to my life...including the parachute pants. If you say you had the silver-grey ones I’m gonna freak. Did you fall out of a cute girl’s moving car window at 30 mph at age 16?

Ok, this is getting kinda creepy-close to my life...including the parachute pants. If you say you had the silver-grey ones I’m gonna freak. Did you fall out of a cute girl’s moving car window at 30 mph at age 16?

WOAH! When I read the first part, I started really getting weirded the hell out. Because, I did in fact have a silver-grey pair, and a blue pair, and a...well, you get it, I was quite the collector of parachute pants...my closet looked like a bag of Skittles...it's true. Besides, you can never have to many pairs of shiney nylon, pants with numerous zippered pockets....I've waited 35 years for them to make a comeback...sigh....

Nope, we're good, never fell out of a cute girls car window at 16....However, I did jump from a cute girls bedroom window when I was 16, when her dad came home early from work one afternoon...girls couldn't resist the parachute pants or the mullet...the peach fuzz mustache was just straight up overkill...ahh, the glory days.

Last edited:

I saw Aldo Nova at Market Square Arena, when Fantasy was a hit. Got the album. Still have it. And yet, I felt weird hearing the song. The lyrics are like a cheese stick with grated cheese and parmesan cheese, dipped in cheese sauce. It's mostly the same chords over and over, with a super-simple lead that points out the chorus.

These days, and I can't say why, I don't want to like the song. But once in a while, I think about it, and I'll crank it.

The video just adds extra cheese on it, and you might say this is the case about many songs and videos. I think that I'd been used to metal being self-aware as it harbored a sense of humor. With artists like Aldo Nova, I got the opposite impression, and there was just something that feels odd about that. It's the difference between being goofy on purpose, and being serious while coming off as goofy in an unintended way.

I love this album. Loved the song, but the gem - to me, anyway - that tipped me over to getting the album was "Foolin' Yourself". The harmonies in the chorus grabbed me the very first time, and they've never let go.

I don't really care for her style, I guess because that was all I heard in the car with a teenage daughter. I gotta give credit to the producers and engineers that make Taylor sound the way she does. I've heard the raw unfiltered tracks from some of her live performances, and she couldn't hit a single noted on key. Her timing was off and she kept dropping words. Her song writing ability is decent, so I will giver her that.

Love to hear raw unfiltered tracks.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOAH! When I read the first part, I started really getting weirded the hell out. Because, I did in fact have a silver-grey pair, and a blue pair, and a...well, you get it, I was quite the collector of parachute pants...my closet looked like a bag of Skittles...it's true. Besides, you can never have to many pairs of shiney nylon, pants with numerous zippered pockets....I've waited 35 years for them to make a comeback...sigh....

Nope, we're good, never fell out of a cute girls car window at 16....However, I did jump from a cute girls bedroom window when I was 16, when her dad came home early from work one afternoon...girls couldn't resist the parachute pants or the mullet...the peach fuzz mustache was just straight up overkill...ahh, the glory days.
Woah! C’mon bro, save some for the ladies! :Do_O

He did in the ‘70’s he was quite the heart throb so I’m told!

Anyway JT doesn’t worry about screaming fans, when Bruce Springsteen, amongst others, performs at his tribute concert.

Just love this song, I do a very poor version of it. Still gets me every time

Back