Name your "Guilty Pleasure" Album

I was watching a video on Jello Biafra's YouTube channel

I love Jello. Dead Kennedy's is one of the few punk bands that gets better with age.

Speaking of synth pop, a Depeche Mode song comes on. My wife says, “I really love Depeche Mode.”

My son says, “Wait...you know who Depeche Mode are?”

Well hello, yes, we were on Earth before you were born and actually listened to cool music.

My first concert. I totally didn't get then why/how wearing a leather-daddy body harness was... uhhh... how do you say... different?

Blackfoot. Ricky Medlock takes me back to being a teenager instantly. It also spurs an inner redneck rampage causing Molly Hatchet to join the rotation. Skynyrd would join them, but I still play several of their tunes on Saturday nights as it is.

DID WE JUST BECOME BEST FRIENDS!
Wait? Redneck...hey I resemble that remark!o_O
Dude its like you were watching my YouTube play list tonight. I had a conversation today with a friend about Rickey Medlocke just this afternoon. I saw Blackfoot in the mid 90's at a place called the 5 Points Music Hall in Birmingham, small venue that used to be a (piggly wiggly) grocery store...killer show one of my all time favorites!

Dude its like you were watching my YouTube play list tonight. I had a conversation today with a friend about Rickey Medlocke just this afternoon. I saw Blackfoot in the mid 90's at a place called the 5 Points Music Hall in Birmingham, small venue that used to be a (piggly wiggly) grocery store...killer show one of my all time favorites!

Alabama or UK?

Speaking of synth pop, a Depeche Mode song comes on. My wife says, “I really love Depeche Mode.”

Well hello, yes, we were on Earth before you were born and actually listened to cool music.

Haha! I think my son is younger than yours, but he did the same thing to me.

“Ain’t Nobody” is being used for a advert campaign in the UK. We’re getting bombarded with it!

Well I started singing along and he said to me: “How do you know that song?!”

I told him a story about my first experience of break dancing and three guys who were very good. This would have been about ‘83.

After I heard that song I knew I had to hear more music of that genre.

I played him the original and he liked it, saying that the bland version being used on TV wasn’t that good!

Grew up in Anderson and Lapel. Worked a summer job in Indy, and went there every week for drum lessons.

Market Square Arena (RIP) was fantastic. Saw Elton, Ozzy, Dio, Iron Maiden, Styx, Robert Plant, Van Halen (1984), Rush, Charlie Sexton, Armored Saint, Scorpions, and The Commodores.

You listed my record collection, well most of it, from the early ‘80’s

Grew up in Anderson and Lapel. Worked a summer job in Indy, and went there every week for drum lessons.

Market Square Arena (RIP) was fantastic. Saw Elton, Ozzy, Dio, Iron Maiden, Styx, Robert Plant, Van Halen (1984), Rush, Charlie Sexton, Armored Saint, Scorpions, and The Commodores.
Cool! Small world. I saw SO many shows there - probably don’t remember a few :oops: - with that thermalcline of *ahem* smoke and hearing nothing for 2 days afterwards. My #1 show was Santana...7th row Center-right. The stories I could tell...

This shouldn’t be a guilty pleasure because Eagles are an immense band.

The reaction of the band, other than Don Henley, is just weird. At least JW smiles at the end!

Lollers, you want to really mess him up, tell him what song he was conceived to.

Lmao! Hell, I wore out my Molly Hatchet 8 tracks in my car! Flirtin’ with Disaster was my theme song when I was out at Indianapolis Raceway Park at the grudge match races, blowing all my money on gas and tires. And Blackfoot Strikes saw probably thousands of plays. Then I covered them in 3 bands before I was 18. Molly Hatchet opened for Kansas in ‘79 and put on one of the most epic shows I barely remember. :rolleyes::D If you heard my current band, you’d swear the only thing missing is a Blackfoot cover.

Nice bit on Kraftwerk. Their music got me into synths back in the day, and I’m still into electronic music (it’s what I write when I’m not doing ads).

Very cool Les! So in essence they were the godfathers Techno? I dig Daft Punk...these guys are actually artist. Not knocking Daft Punk, NOT saying they're basically cool DJs with a cool gimmick, they just don't seem as original now, hmmm...Kraftwerk is visual, musical and performance art all rolled into one...Very cool, I've learned something new today and I appreciate it!

Last edited:
Lmao! Hell, I wore out my Molly Hatchet 8 tracks in my car! Flirtin’ with Disaster was my theme song when I was out at Indianapolis Raceway Park at the grudge match races, blowing all my money on gas and tires. And Blackfoot Strikes saw probably thousands of plays. Then I covered them in 3 bands before I was 18. Molly Hatchet opened for Kansas in ‘79 and put on one of the most epic shows I barely remember. :rolleyes::D If you heard my current band, you’d swear the only thing missing is a Blackfoot cover.

That's so awesome! Flirtin' with Disaster was the theme song to my very first speeding ticket...Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, Lynard Skynard (duh, I'm from Alabama) among others were on one of my mix tapes aptly labeled, "Cruzin Tunes". Sounds like our "formative years", were eerily similar boogie. My hard earned cash, was blown on...girls, of course tires, gas (I mean, who doesnt love a good burn out) car audio, concert tickets. Oh and on parachute pants, hair products and well....drugs...ahhhhh, those were the days! Good times!

WELL, TRAIN, TRAIN......TAKE ME ON OUTTA THIS TOWN......

I was reminded of a guilty pleasure while shopping today, when I heard it over the loud speakers at the store.

I saw Aldo Nova at Market Square Arena, when Fantasy was a hit. Got the album. Still have it. And yet, I felt weird hearing the song. The lyrics are like a cheese stick with grated cheese and parmesan cheese, dipped in cheese sauce. It's mostly the same chords over and over, with a super-simple lead that points out the chorus.

These days, and I can't say why, I don't want to like the song. But once in a while, I think about it, and I'll crank it.

The video just adds extra cheese on it, and you might say this is the case about many songs and videos. I think that I'd been used to metal being self-aware as it harbored a sense of humor. With artists like Aldo Nova, I got the opposite impression, and there was just something that feels odd about that. It's the difference between being goofy on purpose, and being serious while coming off as goofy in an unintended way.

This might be my best self-definition of "guilty pleasure."

Last edited:
Back