Name your "Guilty Pleasure" Album

Yeah, I don't feel in the slightest bit guilty about Shania Twain (although it's a little weird singing along with "Man You Make Me Feel Like A Woman"), Taylor Swift, Kraftwerk, Jean-Michel Jarre, Giorgio Moroder, Duran Duran or Pet Shop Boys. I even liked Britney Spears when Hit Me Baby One More Time came out.

I do feel a little guilty about Pen Pineapple Apple Pen and Gangnam Style, but only because those are earwormiest. And this:

Yes I was (am) an 80s metal head, but there were some other things I listened to before the metamorphosis. I grew up listening to my older sister's favorite music - Bread, Styx, Billy Joel. But the guilty pleasure that fits this theme is Dan Fogelberg. His greatest hits album still gets a lot of play time on my phone.

OK, so what about Jean-Michel Jarre? Cool now, or not cool now?

Cool again (because a gazillion analog synths). I run hot and cold with his stuff, but the really good stuff is sublime. I heard a hunk of Equinoxe a while back and realized I'd forgotten how good it was.

Duran Duran's Rio. Andy Taylor was cool. Love that album.

I totally blew off Duran Duran as incurable wimps when they were the big new thing. Then when Rock Band was the big new thing, it forced me to actually listen to the music and realize "crap, these guys are really good!"

Oh I dig me some Taylor Swift, but I usually get bored trying to listen to her whole albums. She does write some great songs. Ryan Adams covered the entire 1989 album and I think it shows the strength of the songs.

Okay, one more. I'm dying to cover his version of Bad Blood. So maybe we found my guilty pleasure and it's broody Taylor Swift covers!

And the only decent Bieber song is "Love Yourself" and that's because it's basically an Ed Sheeran song.

I still love the line "My momma don't like you and she likes everyone." :D

Nobody's breathed a word of a musical yet, what gives?
I love me some musicals, but I don't feel guilty about them either. I really enjoyed the random musical numbers in Hardcore Henry and The Shape of Water, as well as more traditional musical movies like Scrooge (the 1970 version with Albert Finney and music by Leslie Bricusse, of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and Doctor Doolittle fame) ("Thank You Very Much" still gets stuck in my head any time I feel very thankful) and I forget which Rankin/Bass production had "Snow Miser" and "Heat Miser", but they were great.

I love me some musicals, but I don't feel guilty about them either.

Right on! Same here, these days -- but I was wild on all that stuff growing up, from Gilbert & Sullivan to Cole Porter and beyond. No guilt at all, I was just a teenager and probably would've walked away with a black eye had I tried to interject that into the metal convos of the day.

I was oblivious -- I mean, I got picked on, but I only got beat up once, and that had nothing to do with music. I was famous for my two favourite musical acts in high school being Black Sabbath and Henry Mancini. And not just the Pink Panther and Peter Gunn themes!

Oh, and I practically have the original Jungle Book memorized. Back when I was in my early 20s -- at my most testosterone-laden -- I could actually sing Shere Khan's part in "What Friends Are For".

My questions is this: Is GOOD music, ever really a “guilty pleasure?” I grew up on classical and gospel. So what exactly is a “guilty pleasure?” Should I admit that my love for the classical arrangement of “A Mighty Fortress Is Our God” that my mother used to play on the grand piano in my home is a “guilty pleasure?”

Ok, I love old Carpenters. Great songs. Great singing. Beautiful music. Sad ending.

My questions is this: Is GOOD music, ever really a “guilty pleasure?” I grew up on classical and gospel. So what exactly is a “guilty pleasure?” Should I admit that my love for the classical arrangement of “A Mighty Fortress Is Our God” that my mother used to play on the grand piano in my home is a “guilty pleasure?”
Exactly. I think there's a whole group of us who just don't succumb to peer pressure, so we don't fully comprehend "guilty pleasure".

I still don't get Justin Bieber's appeal, though. I just don't get it.

Exactly. I think there's a whole group of us who just don't succumb to peer pressure, so we don't fully comprehend "guilty pleasure".

I still don't get Justin Bieber's appeal, though. I just don't get it.
Me either, but that doesn’t fall under the “good music” genre. :D

Back