Name your "Guilty Pleasure" Album

For me, my guilty pleasure albums would be a variety of '90s country releases...most anything by Martina McBride or Clint Black or Wynonna Judd and so on. That's when I started playing country music and became a fan of players like Dann Huff (although I already knew him from Giant) and Brent Mason and Vince Gill and Pete Anderson and more.
I still have many of my cassette tapes from back then and every once in a while I pop them into one of the remaining tape decks that I have and get my country on all by myself because everyone else in my house hates it. :eek:

For me, my guilty pleasure albums would be a variety of '90s country releases...most anything by Martina McBride or Clint Black or Wynonna Judd and so on. That's when I started playing country music and became a fan of players like Dann Huff (although I already knew him from Giant) and Brent Mason and Vince Gill and Pete Anderson and more.
I still have many of my cassette tapes from back then and every once in a while I pop them into one of the remaining tape decks that I have and get my country on all by myself because everyone else in my house hates it. :eek:

This is my advice.
Make them listen to this song, including all the verbiage.

Then this one.

Play them loud and proud, over and over.
:)

My questions is this: Is GOOD music, ever really a “guilty pleasure?” I grew up on classical and gospel. So what exactly is a “guilty pleasure?” Should I admit that my love for the classical arrangement of “A Mighty Fortress Is Our God” that my mother used to play on the grand piano in my home is a “guilty pleasure?”

Ok, I love old Carpenters. Great songs. Great singing. Beautiful music. Sad ending.

First live gig I was ever taken to as a kid was the Carpenters. I watched Karen play drums and then heard *that* guitar solo on Goodbye to Love. That is why I grew up wanting so much to play both instruments.

First live gig I was ever taken to as a kid was the Carpenters. I watched Karen play drums and then heard *that* guitar solo on Goodbye to Love. That is why I grew up wanting so much to play both instruments.

I don't know if you're old enough to have seen Karen Carpenter's bizarre drum solo on their television show. For me, it was the coolest thing ever.

I don't know if you're old enough to have seen Karen Carpenter's bizarre drum solo on their television show. For me, it was the coolest thing ever.

I didn't see it at the time but definitely since then :) She looks so painfully thin there but she showed me that girls could play drums, even though she was the only one I saw for years.

I didn't see it at the time but definitely since then :) She looks so painfully thin there but she showed me that girls could play drums, even though she was the only one I saw for years.

There weren't that many ladies playing drums back then, but the few that could be found were rather exceptional players.

I typically do not draw a distinction in music with regard to male or female, with the exception of those times when a specific voice is needed for a vocal performance or recording. At the same time, I recognize the likes of Sister Rosetta Tharpe, the Godmother of Rock Guitar.

To get back on point, we have lots of records by The Carpenters, and don't care who knows it.

God yes I thought so too, her arms especially! She should have been allowed to stay behind the drums where she was happiest!

There weren't that many ladies playing drums back then, but the few that could be found were rather exceptional players.

I typically do not draw a distinction in music with regard to male or female, with the exception of those times when a specific voice is needed for a vocal performance or recording. At the same time, I recognize the likes of Sister Rosetta Tharpe, the Godmother of Rock Guitar.

To get back on point, we have lots of records by The Carpenters, and don't care who knows it.

I was raised in Liverpool. And that means force-fed the Beatles. No girl drummers in the Beatles. This is how scouse logic can sometimes go! (And we are talking about a time when the Beatles were just distant memories on the tourist horizon)

Egad, what a great drummer. And such joy she had...look at that smile! Now I has a sad all over again.
I watched that video with the same sadness, thinking that Karen appeared so happy playing drums and percussion and what an incredible talent she was.

Obviously knowing of her demise and the painful story of her life and her struggles.

Not so much an album, but an artist. Steve Terreberry, aka "Stevie T," is one of those players who captures my attention. He's got humor and a good sensibility with music. He can shred, for those who care about that kind of thing. I find Djent to be generally boring, but he makes it lively.

This is his channel, for more, if you're curious. It's a guilty pleasure for me, because I'm not in his demographic, and I'm not a fan of Djent.

I really like the stuff Pete Anderson did with Dwight Yoakam

Not so much an album, but an artist. Steve Terreberry, aka "Stevie T," is one of those players who captures my attention. He's got humor and a good sensibility with music. He can shred, for those who care about that kind of thing. I find Djent to be generally boring, but he makes it lively.

This is his channel, for more, if you're curious. It's a guilty pleasure for me, because I'm not in his demographic, and I'm not a fan of Djent.

Good call - love Stevie T's videos!

Back