NAD (that's New Archon Day!) Yes, finally!

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
It really is! And, I haven't even played my C24 or C22 LTD semi hollow with it yet. So far, just the NF3, Cutlass and Wolfgang.

That said (watch out, here comes a bold one) the spectacular NF3 and this amp could do any gig you would ever do from county to classic to 70s metal to 80s hair metal to newer prog/heavy stuff. I can't imagine guitar and one amp covering more ground than this combo. We'll see how the C24 with 59/09s compares soon. And, of course, we'll get the JP12 out on the next Headbangers night, so I can get ready for my date with Les. :D

p.s. And, I'm wondering how a 594 would mate with this. :eek:

Yeah, so,

Additional thoughts:
1 - If PRS built a 3 channel version of this amp with two identical gain channels that you could just dial differently, it would absolutely rule the world!
2 - If PRS built a 3 channel amp with this clean channel as C1, an HX/DA as C2, and this gain channel as C3, it would rule the universe and would be the greatest amp ever.
3 - #2 might be too much to ask, build-wise.
4 - #1 should be something they could pull off if they wanted too.

Now you know why i keep collecting PRS amps. Welcome to the deeper sickness, my friend!

Yeah, I have to admit that while someone told me an HX/DA wouldn't have enough gain for me, this latest PRS amp purchase (and some clips Les has put up) have me interested in one. And, I'm kicking my own butt for passing on the Archon 25 watt purple/tan combo for ("X amount. That's very good!") that was brand new at a dealer, who took it in trade for a new 594... and thinking I would never make that mistake again. Dang speaker! And, if they made a head version of the 25..... oh, we've been there before many times. I'd still buy one!

All I have to say about tonight was, great as usual. And then... went over to the clean channel. Boys, I still haven't turned one knob in that channel off noon. It sounds fantastic! I really have to spend some time with it right away. IF I can just pry myself away from the gain channel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I have to admit that while someone told me an HX/DA wouldn't have enough gain for me, this latest PRS amp purchase (and some clips Les has put up) have me interested in one. And, I'm kicking my own butt for passing on the Archon 25 watt purple/tan combo for ("X amount. That's very good!") that was brand new at a dealer, who took it in trade for a new 594... and thinking I would never make that mistake again. Dang speaker! And, if they made a head version of the 25..... oh, we've been there before many times. I'd still buy one!

All I have to say about tonight was, great as usual. And then... went over to the clean channel. Boys, I still haven't turned one knob in that channel off noon. It sounds fantastic! I really have to spend some time with it right away. IF I can just pry myself away from the gain channel.

Good luck with that!

Yeah, I have to admit that while someone told me an HX/DA wouldn't have enough gain for me, this latest PRS amp purchase (and some clips Les has put up) have me interested in one.

First, it's so cool that you love the Archon!

Hard to say if the HXDA has enough gain for someone who's a high gain player, but just for information purposes, I had the treble gain set to around 10:00 for all the sounds on my most recent clip, and the bass gain to about 8:00.

So there was plenty of gain left.

Since you have the Archon, you might like having an HXDA around for stuff where you want a more classic sound.

Maybe I'll get lucky. Bodia probably has 3 of them. :p

I played it last night and I swear that for the first 10 minutes, I left the gain at 8:00. That's crazy! Still crunchy and sounded great. My intent was to try the gain way down and try my Fulltone 69 with it. Battery in the 69 was dead. And, my wife had taken two brand new 9 volts I bought for it to put into toys for my grandson! The nerve!

I keep forgetting to mention this, but the loop is great and very quiet. Not like my C50 which has a noisy loop. And the loop on/off on the foot switch is a cool feature. Dry rhythm to mid boosted, wet lead, just drop EQ , chorus and delay in the loop.

So, I'm a week in now. All testing with NF3, Wolfgang and Cutlass. That amp LOVES the Wolfgang. Gain at noon and wail away! EVERY amp loves the NF3 (if it's even a decent amp!) Cleans with the NF3 are spectacular. Gains or course, are as well.

I'd say maybe tonight we roll in the C24, C22 Semi hollow and... JP12 maybe. I'm itching to try the C24 59/09s with it! And, the magic semi hollow with 57/08s. Next week or so could have me babling even more about how great this thing is as I'm expecting some real magic form those two guitars. If I report in late tonight, at least you'll know I didn't get kicked out of the house for excessive volume levels. Actually, that's silly. I'll have to roll in one guitar at a time because I'll want to spend some time with each, really checking it out.

Summary: One week in. I'm in love!

2 - If PRS built a 3 channel amp with this clean channel as C1, an HX/DA as C2, and this gain channel as C3, it would rule the universe and would be the greatest amp ever.

Sold. Here, take my money. 3 pints of blood? A kidney?

No kidding. My only issue with the Archon is that I wish it had a mid-gain channel. (That's the likely-soon-to-be-former H&K Triamp Mk. II owner in me talking...)

I hear you. Both of these channels are SO good it's hard to ask for more, but a third mid gain channel would be incredible.

No kidding. My only issue with the Archon is that I wish it had a mid-gain channel. (That's the likely-soon-to-be-former H&K Triamp Mk. II owner in me talking...)
I bought the M/B MkIII in '89 wanting "the first tri-channel amp", which it is, but prefer a good gain channel that can be controlled with the guitar volume, now.

Been meaning to get over here, been a busy week. Congrats Howie, I knew you'd love it. Keep gushing- nice to have someone new discovering the Archon awesomeness! Props to those who helped you get it done.

I titled this picture "It's no Crate, but it's not bad!"

Archon_zpsqko6zuwj.jpg

I have to say that when I got the Archon, I came from a series of 3-channel amps and wondered if I'd be OK with two. The answer is that I loved it, and two is a lot easier to deal with. You can either roll back for mid-gain, or boost for high-gain. Or both (which I did).

Back