NAD (that's New Archon Day!) Yes, finally!

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
What speaker(s) are you using? I think it might kill with a greenback type or a mix with 1 greenback type.

Two 1x12 cabinets loaded with G12H-75 Creambacks. One is open, one is closed. Sweet Archon ecstasy...

The combo came loaded with a G12-75T. It didn't sound that bad but I've never been a fan. I replaced it with a G12M-65 before I sold it. Big improvement. The Whiskey cabinet came with the H-75 which sounded more open so I put one in my MojoTone Canyon and have been loving it.

Well, now I REALLY understand all the congratulations. I had 30 minutes or so tonight to just turn knobs, with it turned up. I'll be brief... (after tonight, you have no idea how hard that is! So really,not brief at all, I have a story to tell!!!)

This amp is phenomenal. Best amp I've ever heard or played and AMAZINGLY versatile. Every turn of the knob created some different but great tone. Open, smooth, crispy, tight, grinding, melting, you name it, it does it. But it doesn't just "do it" it sounds phenomenal doing it. This is IT! With one exception that was so long ago I can't accurately compare (Bogner 101B) this amp is EASILY better than anything I've ever heard! And, unlike some other great amps, you can't make this thing sound bad, just different. The clean channel is AWESOME, but I can't even stay there long. The OD channel is heaven! ANY gain level you want, bright, fat, smooth, crunchy.... I can't find anything yet that it can't do and do extremely well!

I even tried two other "different" guitars tonight (Wolfgang and Cutlass) and with a knob twist here or there, it was simple incredible. Wonder how a T5Z would work with this. ;)

I can't wait to try my avatar guitar with it! Cleans and smooth grainy tones should absolutely rule the earth with that baby!

Truly, incredible! I'm honestly thinking about selling another amp to fund a 25 watt combo or something to have a second one.... flabbergasted at how great this thing is.

If anyone from PRS is listening, I'm blown away by this one! And will loudly proclaim so in every forum I am in!

The OD channel is heaven! ANY gain level you want, bright, fat, smooth, crunchy.... I can't find anything yet that it can't do and do extremely well!

This is possibly the most overlooked/underrated aspect of the amp. Admittedly, I don't play w/the range of gain available on that channel as much as I should, but I was truly impressed with the flexibility and quality available there.

Welcome to the dark side!

Well, now I REALLY understand all the congratulations. I had 30 minutes or so tonight to just turn knobs, with it turned up. I'll be brief... (after tonight, you have no idea how hard that is! So really,not brief at all, I have a story to tell!!!)

This amp is phenomenal. Best amp I've ever heard or played and AMAZINGLY versatile. Every turn of the knob created some different but great tone. Open, smooth, crispy, tight, grinding, melting, you name it, it does it. But it doesn't just "do it" it sounds phenomenal doing it. This is IT! With one exception that was so long ago I can't accurately compare (Bogner 101B) this amp is EASILY better than anything I've ever heard! And, unlike some other great amps, you can't make this thing sound bad, just different. The clean channel is AWESOME, but I can't even stay there long. The OD channel is heaven! ANY gain level you want, bright, fat, smooth, crunchy.... I can't find anything yet that it can't do and do extremely well!

I even tried two other "different" guitars tonight (Wolfgang and Cutlass) and with a knob twist here or there, it was simple incredible. Wonder how a T5Z would work with this. ;)

I can't wait to try my avatar guitar with it! Cleans and smooth grainy tones should absolutely rule the earth with that baby!

Truly, incredible! I'm honestly thinking about selling another amp to fund a 25 watt combo or something to have a second one.... flabbergasted at how great this thing is.

If anyone from PRS is listening, I'm blown away by this one! And will loudly proclaim so in every forum I am in!

Now you know why my MkV was made expendable! Great, great amp, but the Archon was just better, for me.

Dammit! :mad: Why couldn't it have been just OK? :D

Congrats on finding good tones. :cool:

1) I got a couple pics. I'll see if Photobucket still functions and maybe post one.

2) Longest, loudest session yet. Results? I started with the drive channel gain at 9:00 and actually turned it down as low as 8:00 for a minute. Turned the master up to noon. Simply incredible! B=1:00 M 10:00 T=1:00, P=1:00 D=10-2... Went for the more scooped 80s M type tone. Not as scooped as "Ashes In Your Mouth" but scooped enough for 80s metal. TOTALLY RULED! Presence down is M style, up has more kick like some modded M. (Edit! That should have said Depth, not Presence)

3) it tells you how much gain that this amp has, that I played for over 30 minutes with the gain at 9:00 and only tuned the other knobs. Then 15 minutes with gain at 10:00, 15 minutes at 11:00 and the last 10 minutes at noon or 1:00. I'm a gain dude, and I could happily stay at 9:00 or 10:00 with a pedal for solos for most 70s and 80s stuff I love. 11:00 could cover about anything. Mids up, mids down, depth up or down, presence up or down, = all different flavors, but all GREAT TONES.

I'd like to sit down with that Bogner again because this and it are clearly levels above anything else I've ever played or heard.

Additional thoughts:
1 - If PRS built a 3 channel version of this amp with two identical gain channels that you could just dial differently, it would absolutely rule the world!
2 - If PRS built a 3 channel amp with this clean channel as C1, an HX/DA as C2, and this gain channel as C3, it would rule the universe and would be the greatest amp ever.
3 - #2 might be too much to ask, build-wise.
4 - #1 should be something they could pull off if they wanted too.

Say what you want. Call it honeymoon phase, or whatever. I'm blown away by this amp. I'll stop coming in and saying the same things, or describing little tweaks or what have you. I may be forced to come in and tell you how it is with the C22 Semi Hollow LTD because I'm expecting magic. But I'll cool all the rest of it so I don't just run on. For now, it's hard to stop telling everyone how great it is, because it really is THAT great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great review, actually. Makes me want one, and I hardly ever play with a lot of gain.

How does it clean up when you roll off the guitar volume on the dirty channel?

I was torn between telling every detail when most of the interested parties already know them, or just hitting highlights. A thorough review would probably do more good at TGP than here.

I found some new tones tonight. Treble and presence down, mids up. Going for the fat smooth thing. Did it very very well. Maybe not quite as well as the Custom 50, since that is the Custom 50s thing. Great though!

I'd say it cleans up fairly well if you keep the gain down. (Don't be fooled by those words though, gain down is still a lot of gain!) But it depends on what you want from the clean up. With the gain at 9:00, it goes from good cruncy 80s rock to 70s rock rhythm tone at about 7. At 5 on the guitar volume it's cleanish. Pick light, it's fairly clean, pick hard it's got hair. I used only the NF3 tonight. Preaching to the choir here, I know, but PRS guitars clean up with guitar volume knob better than any I've ever tried. This guitar does it extremely well with the right amp. (Side note, I was amazed at how well it did with C3 on the Mark V, which all three voices are high gain. It really does clean up well!). With the Archon gain down, it did pretty well. After one sample I'd say "good, not great" if you are going for really clean. If you are going for lower gain rhythm tones, rolled up to solo tones, it works great! Clean-ish to rhythm to solos with a 5-7-10 roll, works great.

I ready your post earlier today when I couldn't reply so I tried it tonight when I played. My humble opinion, based on what I've read from you, would suggest that overall you might like an H or Custom 50 better. The tones I was getting tonight though, with Gain 9-10:00, B-noon, M-2:00, T=9:00 Presence 9:00.... those might be some tones you'd really dig. Fat, smooth, singing. Neck pickup tones were glorious.

That said, the clean channel is not getting much time yet because it's simply too soon and I just can't stay off the gain channel much. But it's getting MUCH love. Easily one of the best I've ever heard.

I'm rambling again. Simple though. The more I turn the knobs, the more things I find to love. So far, every time I turn it on, I love it more than before.

Back