NAD-DG30 Custom Rig

WeFixFlats

Respect The Clave
I was done chasing guitars and amps. I have four(4) cores and the 50 watt HXDA, 100 watt Lonestar heads and that was that...BUT when this showed up on the usual site(R) for an incredible price, it had to be bought. I'd seen and heard Grissom play thru this rig, so I didn't need to audition it either because I knew what it sounded like, pretty amazing. (unlike a lot of gear endorsers that hawk one thing and play something else all together). All power tubes are the 7189/6P14P-EV and the same with the preamp tubes, JJ brand, 3xecc83, 1xecc81 as listed in the owners manual. Checked the bias: left side test points: 36.5, 39.5; right side test points: 39.0, 38.0. Manual says: +/- 35. "Tubes can be mismatched somewhat, but it is recommended to not vary more than 5 millivolts or so for tonal reasons" per the manual. Dead mint, not a fingerprint on it.

0qjAeE3.jpg

Last edited:
Confirmed: Celestion Vintage 30, T3904-A, Made in China. (Identical models in my other PRS Deep 2x12 cabinets). 'Unmodified' per the 2017 catalog. The amp is: April 2016. Cabinet: December 2015.

bUADnrk.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome! Let me know if I can offer any tips.

Thanks Les. I have both your and Grissom's settings written down as starting points to dial in this amp dry with no effects/pedals for starters.(The best way...)Interesting that the Reverb taper is very usable, as opposed to the Lonestar where it comes on so rapidly that it's impossible, for me, to get to that Goldilocks setting. As some may or may not know, this can be a very LOUD 30 watt amp. It has the power section of an English but the preamp of an American so when you plug straight from guitar/cable to amp, it's something like I've never heard up close before, since I've only heard it with Grissom blasting away live. It's like 'holy smokes', no wonder these are a one of a kind design.

Flats, it's interesting, we both have the same amps; I have the HXDA 30, but had the 50; they sound very close (depending on settings of course). I have the DG30, and also a Lone Star 100.

The PRS amps are my main amps. I plug the LS in when I need a high headroom Blackface clean tone, but as I type this, it's sitting with the cover on in a corner of the studio.

Flats, it's interesting, we both have the same amps; I have the HXDA 30, but had the 50; they sound very close (depending on settings of course). I have the DG30, and also a Lone Star 100. The PRS amps are my main amps. I plug the LS in when I need a high headroom Blackface clean tone, but as I type this, it's sitting with the cover on in a corner of the studio.

But I would bet we got to the same point from completely different directions and motivations. As for me, getting the HXDA was a 'holy grail' the very first moment I hear Mr.PRS play the first notes of 'Whipping Post' several years ago at a guitar shop here in Austin. From that moment, I knew I'd have one, got lucky, bought a used rig that turned out to be made for a PRS artist. The Lonestar? I really wanted an All-American 100 watt/6L6 amp head with a bullet proof new amp warranty, great brand reputation, and compatible with my PRS 2 x 12 cabinet. The DG 30? Once you hear Grissom blast thru one, loud and live, AND see the rig for sale at an unbelievable low price(compared to the MAP) that had been sitting on a web site for weeks with 25 watchers and no one buying it, I jumped on it. Now it's just a matter of making space for all 3. But that's a 'fun' problem to have, isn't it?

But I would bet we got to the same point from completely different directions and motivations.

Same motivations, actually. I wanted the Allman style amp; bought mine after hearing the PRS demo video from Paul's studio doing Allman tones; I got the LS for the high headroom clean tones; and the Grissom type of sound has always appealed to me, so when the DG30 came out, it was a natural fit.

Last edited:
Congrats !!!
I think the DG30 will be my next amp along with a matching DGT guitars :)

It has the power section of an English but the preamp of an American so when you plug straight from guitar/cable to amp, it's something like I've never heard up close before, since I've only heard it with Grissom blasting away live.
This is one of the design elements, I think, that sets Doug Sewell apart from the competition. He can marry diverse design elements better than anyone else, yielding unique instruments. From the interviews and other press, I can see the V influence in the power stage of the DG30 and the M influence in the DG50. Not sure if that's necessarily true, but he's done the same thing in prior models with stunning results.

So, when are you picking up a DG50? ;)

This is one of the design elements, I think, that sets Doug Sewell apart from the competition. He can marry diverse design elements better than anyone else, yielding unique instruments. From the interviews and other press, I can see the V influence in the power stage of the DG30 and the M influence in the DG50. Not sure if that's necessarily true, but he's done the same thing in prior models with stunning results.

So, when are you picking up a DG50? ;)

This.

I've never played a DG amp. I agree with Sergio. I think they are the most rad looking amp PRS makes.

Back