N5D - Private Stock McCarty 594 Singlecut

so good to see the attention to detail, with those fine mitre joints on the headstock binding.

That’s proper fine luthiery!

It's tempting to think it's too well built to play! But honestly, it makes the whole player/guitar experience the best. As Paul likes to say, it starts with the eyes.

It's tempting to think it's too well built to play! But honestly, it makes the whole player/guitar experience the best. As Paul likes to say, it starts with the eyes.
Yeah we’re all guilty of playing a guitar with our eyes!

I’ll call it the “Magpie theorem”

Well, she arrived after a long trip from Germany (Thomann Guitars) and I'm sure was fondled by a jealous customs agent, but she's finally "home".

Many of you will recognize the formula for this guitar, it's identical to the February 2016 Private Stock Doublecut 594 Guitar of the Month that "started it all", except this guitar has a gold bridge and stop tail rather than the bronze/aluminum parts on the GOM model.

A few details:

Madagascar Rosewood headstock and fingerboard
Curly maple binding
Figured mahogany neck
Ribbon mahogany back
Inlays - Mother of Pearl Birds w/ Paua Outlines
Mother of Pearl Private Stock Eagle w/ Paua Outlines
Vintage McCarty Burst finish, high gloss nitro

Simply gorgeous is the way I'd describe it. Pleasant surprises seeing it in person: The figuring on the top is very deep - as you rotate the guitar those wide bands appear and disappear. I didn't know if I'd like the curly binding, but it too is so deep and 3D that it's memorizing to look at it while playing. The ribbon mahogany on the back has shimmering, figured bands running throughout the back - really cool to see up close. The backplates just meld right into the back, a nice touch and one I'd highly recommend as a PS option.

The guitar weighs in at 8 lbs. 11 oz. but, man, it doesn't feel like it. Must be the balance, but honestly it barely feels like it weights more than the doublecut 594 I previously owned. I'm really happy about this, because like many I've lost my desire to lug around heavy guitars and this concern was the only one I had about buying a singlecut. I needn't have worried, at least not with this one.

I now have the guitar I wanted in a 594, the SC body just has the mojo I like in an LP style guitar. Of course she feels and plays great - a bit more growl and oomph than my other guitar, but only slightly more as others have said.

OK, I'm done folks, this is a forever guitar!

zMOa2l7.jpg

TmE4Az4.jpg

6AkmBjS.jpg

IWdGZPI.jpg

PIubJvM.jpg

nVnGGUm.jpg

So, after a year has gone by how do you like it now? Still a forever guitar?

So, after a year has gone by how do you like it now? Still a forever guitar?

Yes! Without question, I am done. (That's right, I said it) ;)

You know it's funny, I've had a couple of guys I've shown it to say "don't ever sell that guitar!" which no one has ever told me before with any other guitar. They needn't worry. It's friggin' perfect.

Last edited:
Yes! Without question, I am done. (That's right, I said it) ;)

You know it's funny, I've had a couple of guys I've shown it to say "don't ever sell that guitar!" which no one has ever told before with any other guitar. They needn't worry. It's friggin' perfect.

Great to hear! Did you have the chance to compare it to Les Paul guitars, new or vintage?

Great to hear! Did you have the chance to compare it to Les Paul guitars, new or vintage?

Not directly, but I've played many in my time. What they say about this guitar is dead on, it's got the mojo formula of a vintage Les Paul tonewise, with PRS quality intonation and playability. And the asymmetrical neck profile? It just feels right.

The only thing that might need some tweaking for some players is the lower output humbuckers used for this, as stock. Some might benefit from a bit hotter bucker in the bridge position, but other than that, it would be suboptimal to touch anything else. I like the pups as they are, and I do use the single coil setting sometimes and they're ideal for that. Clear as a bell.

Back