N(U)GD again!

cshallcross

I think it was about a week ago that I snagged my S2 CU24 in whale blue and posted here. Well, I had a chance to snag a 1998 CE24 in tortoise shell and I went ahead and picked one up today.

Jumping right in, she shows her age, but in a good way. Currently it is setup with Dragon 1's, the tone control has a push/pull coil split that doesn't seem to function, and there was a Freeway 6 position switch installed. Thought I would love it, but honestly I'm just confused by it at the moment. Both pots are a bit noisy, and one of the positions on the Freeway cuts out. Thinking I might try to find a local tech that will install new quality pots and make this thing scream. I don't have a go to person for that stuff, so it might be a moment before I find someone I'm comfortable with in the are.

Any advice on the parts I should be looking to replace would be amazing. Here she is:

DSCF0910-2 by cxcxsx, on Flickr

DSCF0909 by cxcxsx, on Flickr

DSCF0907 by cxcxsx, on Flickr

DSCF0914-2 by cxcxsx, on Flickr

DSCF0920 by cxcxsx, on Flickr

DSCF0922 by cxcxsx, on Flickr

Wow ! That's a beautiful guitar ! Congrats & Enjoy it .

The guitar looks good.
It seems like there aren’t enough options for a 6 way plus a push-pull. I was pretty happy with the 5 position selector knob so might switch the 6 way for that. I’d probably start by trying to see how many of the possible switch positions are actually wired - you might not need to do any more than learn which options are live.

The guitar looks good.
It seems like there aren’t enough options for a 6 way plus a push-pull. I was pretty happy with the 5 position selector knob so might switch the 6 way for that. I’d probably start by trying to see how many of the possible switch positions are actually wired - you might not need to do any more than learn which options are live.
I definitely have quite a bit to learn on the internal side of things. I've never messed with my guitars over the last 25 years out of fear of messing something up. This is what I'm currently looking at Untitled by cxcxsx, on Flickr

I'm wondering if going back to a 5 way or even just a 3-pos toggle with the coil tap functioning would be the way to go. I'm not sure what all of that would cost to do, but it might be in the near future.

It’s gorgeous! I havent had any experience with them, but Ive seen alot of people talk about the service options directly thru PRS. Might be worth a call to see how much it would be to set up what you want. You’d know it was done right!

It’s gorgeous! I havent had any experience with them, but Ive seen alot of people talk about the service options directly thru PRS. Might be worth a call to see how much it would be to set up what you want. You’d know it was done right!
That is very true. I'm definitely terrified of shipping from Atlanta, but I might give them a call tomorrow to see what my options are.

This thing really is pleasant to look at. I don't mind the few chips and bruises here and there. Not bad for a 20yo guitar. I guess you could call it vintage in some circles. Fresh set of 10's just put on it, and I'm going to see if I can get the hang of this switch. I honestly can't get a good feel for where the positions are supposed to be.

Congrats great looker.
You can get prewire assemblies from PRS and others that take a lot of the guess work out of wiring

Congrats great looker.
You can get prewire assemblies from PRS and others that take a lot of the guess work out of wiring

I just found the 3-way with volume and tone with a push/pull setup on the tone. Looks like something I can probably handle. Am I assuming properly that it would just come down to connecting the pups to that setup in the correct configuration, and you're good to go?

Again, I'm dumb with this stuff. Just don't want to mess up anything if I can avoid it. With the guitar not being stock, I also assume I'm not really doing any harm at all, since I plan on keeping it as a player.

Gave it a decent cleaning and a new set of strings just now. Spent some time with it and can conclude the following:

Freeway positions
1. Neck humbucker
2. Neck & bridge in some single coil config
3. Brings in single coil or a different single coil config with both pups
4. Seems to not be connected
5. Neck & bridge humbuckers combined
6. Bridge humbucker

Coil tap on the tone pot does nothing.

Volume pot is noisy, but not horrible.

Would there be any setups using the old 5 way selector as well as a coil tap? I might just order the following here for a 3 way toggle with coil tap http://store.guitarvaultusa.com/product_p/acc-4120.htm.

Just not too sure on what my options are.

The three way toggle and push pull is a solid bet. I'm sure we could come up with something cool for a five way rotary if you want to get fancier. My 8 tone mod (all combos of full or split) should be adaptable for that.

Let me know if you want any wiring help.

Dude, the 8 tone could be cool. While I'm mulling over options, would you mind telling me what all I would need to order to accomplish the 8 tone setup?

Back