N(to me)GD - tell me about old Cu22's

srmd22

I am a player and a collector, and have enjoyed several PRSi over the years, some of which I really regret selling. After being PRS-less for a year or two, I decided to cash in a trade in credit at a local used music store for this baby. The action was super high, the strings were old, and the neck pick up was set so high that it fretted out the high strings at the last couple of frets, but is sounded really good to me through several different amps, and there was plenty of room to lower the bridge and straighten the neck, so I took the leap (or pulled the trigger, pick your metaphor).

It's a 1997 Cu22 with Dragon I pick ups (I presume, as they are uncovered, and that fits the year - guitar is un-modded). It sounds totally different from what I have played in the past: an anniversary McCarty with the Narrowfield pickups (boy I miss that one), a gorgeous Artist McCarty with 57/08's - my main axe for a short time (really miss that one too), a private stock Cu24 with 53/10s (man I really miss that one, lol), and a Cu24 which had VB/HFS set up which I loathed, but swapped in some Wolfetone's which transformed it into a number one for awhile (I am fickle). I have been playing P90 Gibsons and SG standards lately, and I am becoming addicted to P90's. In fact, I was considering a McCarty or Cu22 Soapbar, and still will probably do that at some point, but this thing was right there, and I had the credit - so I bit.

I play mostly R&B, hard rock and jazz. I have a bunch of axes, so I don't "need" a guitar that does everything, but I like to play everything with all my guitars. I played in hard rock band and a jazz combo with a bone stock CS Nocaster tele for awhile, and also with an ES-335 for awhile. So I am not picky with regard to style (but yes with regard to quality).

All I had to do on this one is lower the pick ups a bit and also the bridge, change the strings, and it plays great now. No buzzes, frets are still in good shape, miraculously - as this has obviously been a player, not a case queen - it has swirls and dings, although nothing you notice from a foot or two away, as you can see.

I have read some conflicting opinions on the Dragon I's I can hear that they are not really traditional PAF style pickups, but they sound great to me, even for the roots, americana, trad rock and blues stuff I do. I am interested in hearing opinions from the PRS guys here, who have way more insight and experience then I do.

Here are some pics.

24793181218_beaf726ee1_b.jpg

38665397151_cef87a12d6_b.jpg

38609337066_09d8ba1a95_b.jpg

Nice guitar.
I have a 96 with the dragons that have served me well since they were new.
Didn’t stop me from getting PRS with each of the other pickups you mentioned though.

That's a real beauty. I prefer to buy used PRS. I figure, let someone else break them in. I 've bought 2 new, but prefer to gig my used ones for sound reasons.

I have read some conflicting opinions on the Dragon I's I can hear that they are not really traditional PAF style pickups, but they sound great to me, even for the roots, americana, trad rock and blues stuff I do. I am interested in hearing opinions from the PRS guys here, who have way more insight and experience then I do.

The Dragon Bass is a fairly traditional neck pickup, although it's alnico 4 if I remember correctly.

The Dragon Treble is a heavily overwound ceramic pickup that's meant to push an amplifier. I kind of hated it at first as it didn't like one of my amps. The Dragon seems like it's dark and has lots of low mids, and into a Mesa it was a disaster.

Into a much brighter/high mid Marshall style amp it sounds great. Very classic rock... if your idea of classic rock includes JBs and Super Distortions.

I've found it sounds better with brighter strings, like D'Addario. Seems to offset the naturally dark sound it produces.

I love Dragon 1's. Nice PAF neck and a smokin' hot Bridge pup.

Dragon 1s are badass pickups. The bridge pickup is really sensitive to small adjustments. It produces a very full tone.

I have dragon bass pickup set pretty low so 2,3,4 positions stay clear and crisp. Have to roll Vol pot down a bit to get that but if dragon bass is too high it makes those positions unusable

I am a player and a collector, and have enjoyed several PRSi over the years, some of which I really regret selling. After being PRS-less for a year or two, I decided to cash in a trade in credit at a local used music store for this baby. The action was super high, the strings were old, and the neck pick up was set so high that it fretted out the high strings at the last couple of frets, but is sounded really good to me through several different amps, and there was plenty of room to lower the bridge and straighten the neck, so I took the leap (or pulled the trigger, pick your metaphor).

It's a 1997 Cu22 with Dragon I pick ups (I presume, as they are uncovered, and that fits the year - guitar is un-modded). It sounds totally different from what I have played in the past: an anniversary McCarty with the Narrowfield pickups (boy I miss that one), a gorgeous Artist McCarty with 57/08's - my main axe for a short time (really miss that one too), a private stock Cu24 with 53/10s (man I really miss that one, lol), and a Cu24 which had VB/HFS set up which I loathed, but swapped in some Wolfetone's which transformed it into a number one for awhile (I am fickle). I have been playing P90 Gibsons and SG standards lately, and I am becoming addicted to P90's. In fact, I was considering a McCarty or Cu22 Soapbar, and still will probably do that at some point, but this thing was right there, and I had the credit - so I bit.

I play mostly R&B, hard rock and jazz. I have a bunch of axes, so I don't "need" a guitar that does everything, but I like to play everything with all my guitars. I played in hard rock band and a jazz combo with a bone stock CS Nocaster tele for awhile, and also with an ES-335 for awhile. So I am not picky with regard to style (but yes with regard to quality).

All I had to do on this one is lower the pick ups a bit and also the bridge, change the strings, and it plays great now. No buzzes, frets are still in good shape, miraculously - as this has obviously been a player, not a case queen - it has swirls and dings, although nothing you notice from a foot or two away, as you can see.

Here are some pics.

24793181218_beaf726ee1_b.jpg

38665397151_cef87a12d6_b.jpg

38609337066_09d8ba1a95_b.jpg
Lovely quilt dude!

Back