My Tone Journey With The DG30 Amplifier

You need to do that, Les. Alnico is a whole different thing (as you know), and one that seems a match made in heaven for the DG amps. I’m surprised they don’t put them in at the factory, or at last one of them. I couldn’t more whole heartedly recommend anything more for a DG amp owner who is going for a more vintage or just less modern sound. The V30s are by nature a more modern sounding speaker.

First, yes, the cabinet makes the amp a complete thing. If you get the head, spring for the cab, if possible. It’s worth it, plus the cab is light (pine, fingerjointed) and very lovely on top of how good it sounds.

Second, when you do play the amp, be aware that because of the ppi design, the gain and master volume controls are highly interactive. The amp sounds best with the master opened up, or if the master is lower, dial up a little more gain. When I say highly interactive, I mean highly interactive. This is not a Mesa-style master volume amp, not even close. You have to work with it. But when you do, it rewards the effort.

The caveat is, it’s a pro player’s amp, and it helps to understand what it’s intended to be used for, in order to get the most out of it. If you get one, you may scratch your head and wonder what it’s about, but once you grok it and use it in a session or at a gig, you’ll get a better idea of its potential.

When I met Doug Sewell, who designed the amp, he and I talked about speakers, and he said he thought the Celestion Alnico Cream 90 might be really interesting with the cab. I’ve thought about getting a second cab and loading it that way, but guitar buying keeps stepping on that plan!

LSchefman- thank you for responding. What I'm reading about this amp has me smitten. Haven't seen much about the DG50. Yup, my plan is to acquire both head and matching cab...and perhaps a second empty cab for your aformentioned Celestion Alinco Cream 90 (or WGS clone) experiment. I'm being led down a simpler, more, uhh, organic path regarding amps & cabs. None of my prior rigs gave that degree of control and touch sensitivity from my guitar...my old Marshalls did, but were limited in that respect. I've become one of the 'play the amp' sort of guys, and I desire that sort of responsiveness that more modern, complex circuits seem to lose.

Yours (and others') description of how the DG takes to pedals has me pretty enthusiastic as well. For background: All of my prior rigs were of some sort of wet/dry/wet variation, 2 (or more) channel affairs with a ridiculous cabinet backline. The last iteration of the big gear had it pared-down to one 4x12 cab, my '74 JMP50 metal panel top (with a MV mod only) and pedals. After that I had a few different small combos with a TC G-System.

Right now the Morgans, Victoria's, etc, have had my focus but I've been looking at Paul's amps for awhile, specifically the DG and HXDA models...and the DG really has my attention. And I'm one of those guys who likes approaching what I do with things that aren't common or popular. Right up my alley. hehe... I'm sure the DG's controls will be a headscratcher at first, until I realize how the circuit works by hands-on use. I'm all ears with your guidance. Teachable & also enjoyed your feedback about pickups in the other thread and the info about buffers, etc... as soon as I can, I plan to get a DG 30 rig. I'm really starting from scratch after a few years' break from playing. Thanks!

Right now the Morgans, Victoria's, etc, have had my focus but I've been looking at Paul's amps for awhile, specifically the DG and HXDA models...and the DG really has my attention. And I'm one of those guys who likes approaching what I do with things that aren't common or popular.

Well, seems you and I share similar perspectives on amps!

My two main amps are the HXDA and the DG30. But I love Morgans and Victorias, even though I don’t have either one.

I was a Two-Rock player for a long time, but for some reason the more traditional sounding amps have captivated me for the last few years. They record so well, and give me such useful sounds for the work I do, that I have a hard time thinking about going in other directions!

...Haven't seen much about the DG50...
Honestly, no one has. We’ve speculated dozens of times but these aren’t seen much in the wild. Be the first!

A side note about these signature amps...

Of the members here that have commented about their journies with their PRS amps, I don’t recall a single person wanting to completely duplicate an artist’s persona, only to build on their own vibe. Personally, there were aspects of DG’s sound character that I wanted...that throaty presence and immense bass response with that ballsy break up on the higher strings, on command. Not so I could mimic DG (I wish!) but so I could refine Kerry’s (me) new sound. Because, no matter what rig I play thru, I still sound like me...for better or worse. However, I sound considerably more complex and refined because of the Super Dallas and pine 2x12 cab. And that all boils down to the years of work between Doug Sewell, Paul Smith, and David Grissom. They are the real deal.

I really need to try a DG50. You’re right, Boogie, they’re hard to find; I haven’t ever seen one in person, and the only clip I’ve heard of one was a Grissom demo at the PRS factory that had the cab laying on its back to not damage the audience’s ears. So I’m not sure how well that video represented the amp’s tone.

I also need to play through a JMOD.

Don’t ask why I need to do these things; by any rational measure, I have all the amps I need. Wanting to check out more amps when being perfectly happy with what I’ve got is one of life’s non-sequiturs. o_O

Honestly, no one has. We’ve speculated dozens of times but these aren’t seen much in the wild. Be the first!

A side note about these signature amps...

Of the members here that have commented about their journies with their PRS amps, I don’t recall a single person wanting to completely duplicate an artist’s persona, only to build on their own vibe. Personally, there were aspects of DG’s sound character that I wanted...that throaty presence and immense bass response with that ballsy break up on the higher strings, on command. Not so I could mimic DG (I wish!) but so I could refine Kerry’s (me) new sound. Because, no matter what rig I play thru, I still sound like me...for better or worse. However, I sound considerably more complex and refined because of the Super Dallas and pine 2x12 cab. And that all boils down to the years of work between Doug Sewell, Paul Smith, and David Grissom. They are the real deal.

To clarify- May I say that in no way am I casting any ill towards those using any of DG's gear models...guitars or amps....I'm likely to acquire both (guitar and amp) as well as a few other things! Funny thing is, his approach to gear or tastes and what works for him, (albeit his level of playing is way beyond my own), seems very similar to mine. And for those whose style & tastes match-up to these pieces of gear, it's a bonanza. So I'm not at all implying duplicating a persona or anything, by obtaining these pieces. Look at how many players for instance, used a 1959SLP...and they all sounded different! And yep, just like you, I sound like me no matter what I plug into. You know the classic story of Nugent plugging into EVH's rig...and he still sounded like Ted Nugent.

So this kind of collaborative work between Doug Sewell, Paul Smith, and David Grissom in these products is a great blessing to those searching for their own tone, by virtue of someone's vast experience as a pro player. Great stuff... and the more I think about it, the more encouraging it is. I'm still scratching my head over the omission of the two rear controls on the 50-watt that are there on the DG30. Go figure. lol

Boogie, maybe I will take you up on that and 'be the first' regarding the DG50...ya never know. the DG30 and DG cab are likely my first goal in some amps...cheers!

I'm still scratching my head over the omission of the two rear controls on the 50-watt that are there on the DG30.

I think I can explain that; as I understand it, they’re two completely different amps.

As I understand it, the 50 is more of a Marshall style amp, but it’s 4 EL34s and Cathode Biased; and (to my ear) the 30 references vintage tweed, with a few other references (perhaps Magnatone and Gibson GA 40 from the fifties) thrown in.

Of course, I need to play one to really understand what’s up between the two amps.

I think I can explain that; as I understand it, they’re two completely different amps.

As I understand it, the 50 is more of a Marshall style amp, but it’s 4 EL34s and Cathode Biased; and (to my ear) the 30 references vintage tweed, with a few other references (perhaps Magnatone and Gibson GA 40 from the fifties) thrown in.

Of course, I need to play one to really understand what’s up between the two amps.

I'll definitely take your word for it. I know nothing of the roots of either variant, although TWEED rings a bell...the Gibson GA40 was a very cool amp. Quite a few great simple tube circuits in the 50's and 60's. Silvertone (I have no idea who made those amps for them) also had a particular VERY cool amp.

Last edited:
With my unloaded DG Custom Cabinet and now the DG 30 Head gone, courtesy of Mr.Reverb, Esq., my tone journey has come to a final end. :( But there maybe other 'amp damsels' in the future that may need rescue...;)

With my unloaded DG Custom Cabinet and now the DG 30 Head gone, courtesy of Mr.Reverb, Esq., my tone journey has come to a final end. :( But there maybe other 'amp damsels' in the future that may need rescue...;)

Ok, I'm no expert on music, gear, tones, etc., as you all well know, but I've never gotten good tone out of an unloaded cab. In fact, I've never gotten ANY tone out of it. Too bad you sold it. We could have rolled a couple like speakers through that thing and it might have been a lot better sounding, while admittedly adding some weight.
:D

Ok, I'm no expert on music, gear, tones, etc., as you all well know, but I've never gotten good tone out of an unloaded cab. In fact, I've never gotten ANY tone out of it. Too bad you sold it. We could have rolled a couple like speakers through that thing and it might have been a lot better sounding, while admittedly adding some weight.
:D

When I had the cabinet, it had the original Chinese Made Celestion Vintage 30's. Those were replaced with a WGS Veteran 30 and ET65. The cabinet sounded much better. I can't stand the sound of the V30's...cone cry and other artifacts that drive me crazy. But I still liked the WGS speakers so they were removed and the cabinet sold without speakers(The V30's were sold as a used pair). After asking the artist himself, he admitted that he changes speakers and isn't using the V30's either at this point, but what exactly is 'artist confidential'.

The video sounded great, David! Much appreciated.

It’s a quite different tone than my HXDA or the DG30, though perhaps that’s just a function of what Grissom can do that I can’t do. In any case, I dug it.

I like the V30s that came in the cab; I can get a very nice, recordable sound from them, and for me, a little “cone cry” is actually a desirable quality that adds to the vibe of a recorded tone.

But as I said, I’d love to put a pair of alnico cream 90s, or maybe some of the new Fane alnicos in a Grissom cab and see how that works out.

Well, I should perhaps modify that last statement; I’d love to have the dealer install them so I don’t have to. ;)

When I had the cabinet, it had the original Chinese Made Celestion Vintage 30's. Those were replaced with a WGS Veteran 30 and ET65. The cabinet sounded much better. I can't stand the sound of the V30's...cone cry and other artifacts that drive me crazy. But I still liked the WGS speakers so they were removed and the cabinet sold without speakers(The V30's were sold as a used pair). After asking the artist himself, he admitted that he changes speakers and isn't using the V30's either at this point, but what exactly is 'artist confidential'.

For the record, my wife said that the speakerless cab I had was her favorite of all the ones I played through. o_O

I've been interested in trying an ET65! Love to try one with the Archon but I'm debating getting Scumbacks. More expensive, but should be even better.

For the record, my wife said that the speakerless cab I had was her favorite of all the ones I played through. o_O

I've been interested in trying an ET65! Love to try one with the Archon but I'm debating getting Scumbacks. More expensive, but should be even better.

The Scumbacks are excellent, vintage sounding, vintage spec, speakers. They record very well, and sound great in the room.

Worst name ever. But they are excellent speakers.

The Scumbacks are excellent, vintage sounding, vintage spec, speakers. They record very well, and sound great in the room.

Worst name ever. But they are excellent speakers.
Funny you said that about the name. I read about how great they were for 5 years at TGP and wouldn't even check them out because of the name. LOL I just thought, nah, that't can't be a serious, high end brand with that name. WRONG! I definitely need to try one or three.

Funny you said that about the name. I read about how great they were for 5 years at TGP and wouldn't even check them out because of the name. LOL I just thought, nah, that't can't be a serious, high end brand with that name. WRONG! I definitely need to try one or three.

The guy who started the company was an early TGP member, an enthusiast and speaker collector who built them by hand (I have no idea if that’s still the case). Very nice person.

The name’s too clever by half, but the product is great if you’re after those vintage sounds in the old Marshall or Vox cabs.

Back