My PRS rig in action!

whatamada

Hey guys!

I did a thing.
After several years of hiatus, I decided to do something with my myself.
So I hit the studio for real and recorded an EP!

The entire thing is recorded with my PRS P22, and all tracks are recorded on my PRS Archon head (100w) and some dubs are made with a Mesa Dual Recto.

https://open.spotify.com/album/4wes8sDbXo64jnTrWEUrVl

https://itunes.apple.com/se/album/alive-ep/1332491197

https://www.facebook.com/theawaremusic/

Would love for your feedback on both songs and sound! =)

Cheers!

Sounds fantastic so far, love that tone! I'm 3 minutes into Alive on Spotify and rocking out the whole way. Thanks for sharing!

Sounds fantastic so far, love that tone! I'm 3 minutes into Alive on Spotify and rocking out the whole way. Thanks for sharing!

I'm with Flux, sounds AMAZING! Dig the vocals. Dig the vibe. I could get into this! Actually, I am getting into this.

I listened as I'm into recording music more now and I dig it....the only thing I would say is that, in the mix, the vocals (which are great) may be a little strong volume wise....IMO could hear the backing music a little more.....and it's fine "as is" too.....nice job and congrats.

I have to say, Lost Within is stunning, my favorite track (no joke: if it were up to me I'd make that a pinned thread somewhere). You're Gone was a great listen too, love the energy level coupled with those tasty contrasting rhythm parts. Really solid production going on, great job! You have a new fan.

Wow, thank you so much guys! :D
I'm truly honored by your feedback and it gave me such a boost this morning that I can't keep from smiling.

That said, yes there are somethings in the mix I could change.
But the guy producing/recording gave us such a great deal that I started to feel that I was harassing him with my control issues and wanting to adjust every single thing. So I let some of it go and had my singer make some calls too.

Again, thanks guys! It truly means a lot <3

Wow, thank you so much guys! :D
I'm truly honored by your feedback and it gave me such a boost this morning that I can't keep from smiling.

That said, yes there are somethings in the mix I could change.
But the guy producing/recording gave us such a great deal that I started to feel that I was harassing him with my control issues and wanting to adjust every single thing. So I let some of it go and had my singer make some calls too.

Again, thanks guys! It truly means a lot <3

Been there!

Really sounds great though, I purchased on iTunes. Don't spend that $3.96 all in one place. Thanks for sharing!

Been there!

Really sounds great though, I purchased on iTunes. Don't spend that $3.96 all in one place. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you very much! I may sound like a small thing, but it means a lot to us.
Truly humbled :)

Great idea and implementation of it.
Very cool PRS rig. ;)
I look forward to your next ideas.
Сheer man.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Let us sacrifice our today so that our children can have a better tommorrow"All the best.Bestazy.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Thank you! I´m VERY happy with my rig at the moment.
The Archon with my P22 sounds fantastic through my Zilla cabs ;)
Oh really?thets awsemo.Keep it up.

"Let us sacrifice our today so that our children can have a better tommorrow"All the best.Bestazy.

Last edited:
Listening now. Great sound.........I'll probably have a ton of recording questions.

How did you track the guitars? What was your signal chain? I can hear parts that sound double tracked and parts that sound like they were recorded in stereo. What was your general approach? Did you mic the cab(s) or go from the amp(s) into an IR cab simulator? If you used mics, what mics and preamps? The guitar sound is absolutely huge. Who did the mix?

This isn't my genre (generally) which means I don't have a lot of context. Mix decisions are as much an artistic choice as song arrangement.... I really like that there are heavy guitars that are MORE than just drop-tuned heavy sound with extreme saturation. You've got lots of little hooks that go with the heavy crunch and you guys make nice use of negative space. There are so many songs (including my own) that are just too busy. You've got a lot going on without being busy. Nicely done!!

Again, not my genre, yet I'm still listening. I'm now on "You're Gone". You've grabbed my ear and make me want to listen more. This is very listenable, and this is coming from someone who is not into metal. I think you've got a winner and you should feel very good about this.

Cool! Thanks for sharing. Please clue us in on the recording process. I'd love to know more.

Very pro all-around. I dig it.

Have the recordings been mastered? It sounded particularly "small" through my dinky little Bluetooth speaker. I know, not the best judge of a recording, but I listen to everything through it when I work from home, so it's a level playing field with other recordings. Sounds great through my decent Bluetooth headphones, however.

Listening now. Great sound.........I'll probably have a ton of recording questions.

How did you track the guitars? What was your signal chain? I can hear parts that sound double tracked and parts that sound like they were recorded in stereo. What was your general approach? Did you mic the cab(s) or go from the amp(s) into an IR cab simulator? If you used mics, what mics and preamps? The guitar sound is absolutely huge. Who did the mix?

This isn't my genre (generally) which means I don't have a lot of context. Mix decisions are as much an artistic choice as song arrangement.... I really like that there are heavy guitars that are MORE than just drop-tuned heavy sound with extreme saturation. You've got lots of little hooks that go with the heavy crunch and you guys make nice use of negative space. There are so many songs (including my own) that are just too busy. You've got a lot going on without being busy. Nicely done!!

Again, not my genre, yet I'm still listening. I'm now on "You're Gone". You've grabbed my ear and make me want to listen more. This is very listenable, and this is coming from someone who is not into metal. I think you've got a winner and you should feel very good about this.

Cool! Thanks for sharing. Please clue us in on the recording process. I'd love to know more.

Thank you very much for your kind words :)
Signal chain as follows:
PRS P22 with BKP Juggernauts --> Ibanezen TS9 --> PRS Archon/Mesa Recto --> Zilla Fatboy 2x12 V30 --> SM57/MD421 --> preamp by some brand I don't remember.

Every part, riff or melody, is recorded four times. Two tracks Archon and two tracks Recto. Sometimes there's a mix, sometimes there's only Archon and so on.

Everything is recorded and mixed by StudioMega in Sweden. Run and owned by Christian Silver Johansson. Great guy and even greater technician.

I hope I answered your questions, please feel free to ask more. Love talking about this stuff ^^
And again, thanks for that great feedback! :)

Very pro all-around. I dig it.

Have the recordings been mastered? It sounded particularly "small" through my dinky little Bluetooth speaker. I know, not the best judge of a recording, but I listen to everything through it when I work from home, so it's a level playing field with other recordings. Sounds great through my decent Bluetooth headphones, however.

Thank you very much :)
The mix is kinda...special? It sounds massively different when using different speakers and headphones.
If I was to call all the shots I would change some things, but since I'm not we came to a compromise we all could dig :)

Thank you very much :)
The mix is kinda...special? It sounds massively different when using different speakers and headphones.
If I was to call all the shots I would change some things, but since I'm not we came to a compromise we all could dig :)

I'll have to try listening through a couple of different methods. Sounded huge through my monitors.

So far, I've only listened through my crappy, in the ear bud earphones. I'll probably give it a listen in my home studio (Adams A7x monitors, Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro headphones, AT MTH-50X headphones). On my POS earbuds the guitars sounded HUGE. Whoever mixed it obviously loves electric guitars. I MIGHT have some feedback regarding the vocals in the mix, but I can't say anything given that I've only listened once with ear buds. Getting a mix to translate to multiple listening environments across a buch of different devices is a MAJOR pain the ass!!

ETA......My son is a huge metal fan. I'll give it to him for a listen when I get home.

Yeah, same here. When listening both in my monitors and in the studio, sound was massive

My first listen was through a set of Sennheiser HD 280 PRO cans. I thought the soundstage was fantastic, especially since you mentioned getting such a good deal on the package. It's a perfect Archon commercial, too -- man, I need one someday. :)

Back