My first PRS SE model and I'm impressed!

Ken Kelly

Hello to all, please bare with me as I'm a newbie to this forum :)

I purchased a PRS Mark Tremonti SE online, I received it today. This is the first guitar that I have ever purchased without inspecting and playing. My first impression was it had a beautiful fit and finish with the weight of an LP. After letting it warm up to room tempature, I tuned her up and she played silky smooth and preformed just as I had hoped she would. I must say that's impressive coming from Korea. I love the feel of the wide thin neck, fits make hand nicely. I'm was bit dissappointed to find that the neck is a three piece. They're strong as steel, but sometimes sound brighter. May be helpful to some if this were noted in the guitars description. There is a minute imperfection next to the G tuner on the headstock. It's visible but I can't feel the imperfection. I'll have it inspected by a friend and local luthier and then contact the seller.

Last edited:
Care to show us your crack? Make sure your G string is out of the way.

If it really is flawed in a significant way, I'm sure your dealer and/or PRS will make it right for you. Give them a chance, they're awesome with customer service.

Regarding the three piece maple neck... why the hate? I have an SE CU24 with three piece maple neck and it's the most stable guitar I own. Hell, I dropped it directly on the headstock on to a stage after a gig once and it didn't even flinch. Not to mention, it gets taken out for gigs and recording more than any other of my guitars too. Strangely, it's not my favorite guitar, because I don't really care for maple necks in general. But, that aside, there's no conceivable way the guitar could be better with a one piece neck.

You said " I tuned her up and she played silky smooth and performed just as I had hoped she would." Isn't that the point? Don't be afraid to like it, don't let the internet spec-whores get in your head. Being a singlecut, that neck is relatively short, that thing will be a ROCK.

Gee, Ken, maybe the crack you can’t feel is a mineral streak in the wood. Maybe if the guitar has a crack PRS will replace the guitar. Maybe your dealer should deal with this on your behalf. Maybe you should read the forum rules about not bringing up customer service issues.

But...nah. You’re too important.

More fun to air the laundry out in a thread, right?

Gee, Ken, maybe the crack you can’t feel is a mineral streak in the wood. Maybe if the guitar has a crack PRS will replace the guitar. Maybe your dealer should deal with this on your behalf. Maybe you should read the forum rules about not bringing up customer service issues.

But...nah. You’re too important.

More fun to air the laundry out in a thread, right?

Deep breaths brother, deep breaths...

Hmmm... I don't think I've ever seen any manufacturer put a disclaimer saying "Please be aware that this is a three piece neck"?????

Not looking for a disclaimer, just a notation in the description next to solid or one piece body, etc. As for my dislike of the three piece neck, while I have found them to be strong as steel, they tend to be brighter in tone.

A three piece neck is not a detriment. Heck, some companies tout it as a feature.

While we're at it though, the body back will be 3-4 pieces and the top will be 2 or maybe even 3 with a veneer glued on top.

If there's a legit crack in the headstock, contact your dealer and I'm confident they can help.

Not looking for a disclaimer, just a notation in the description next to solid or one piece body, etc. As for my dislike of the three piece neck, while I have found them to be strong as steel, they tend to be brighter in tone.
That's a new one on me.

I would note that the Tone knob on an SE is far more usable than anything I've played in the price range. Maybe just roll that back a bit?

Gee... my first post and already I have offended a member... lighten up!

Despite your lack of being impressed with your guitar, I’m impressed with how you came right out with your complaint, ignoring the forum rule.

If you don’t like the guitar, give your dealer a call.

Back