My favorite 594 video

I met him at NAMM a few years ago when he was doing demos of the Fishmann pickups. Very nice & intelligent guy. He is the kind of player that literally make any guitar sound great!

I met him at NAMM a few years ago when he was doing demos of the Fishmann pickups. Very nice & intelligent guy. He is the kind of player that literally make any guitar sound great!
Yeah, I saw him do a clinic around here and you could just tell anything he picked up would sound like a million bucks.

Beautiful playing and beautiful guitar. Just wish they would fix the 594 by putting on a wraparound bridge :p

Beautiful playing and beautiful guitar. Just wish they would fix the 594 by putting on a wraparound bridge :p
I don’t know if the tune-o-matic makes any difference tonally?

The bridge set up on the guitar does look good, but you wouldn’t expect anything else from PRS.

Would look good with a wraparound

I don’t know if the tune-o-matic makes any difference tonally?

It makes a significant difference; just think about the 4 attachment points vibrating the body, and the different masses of metal vibrating, and you have part of the puzzle of pieces that make a 594 sound different from a wrap tail McCarty.

When PRS went from the wrap tail Singlecuts to the two-piece, the difference was also quite pronounced.

In 1970 I had the wrap tail on my SG Special taken off, and a tune-o-matic installed, and it transformed the guitar (still have it, and yes, dammit, I’m old).

No doubt in my mind that it matters in terms of tone.

I think Paul Smith is right when he says that anything that touches the strings will have an impact on tone.

Last edited:
It makes a significant difference; just think about the 4 attachment points vibrating the body, and the different masses of metal vibrating, and you have part of the puzzle of pieces that make a 594 sound different from a wrap tail McCarty.

When PRS went from the wrap tail Singlecuts to the two-piece, the difference was also quite pronounced.

In 1970 I had the wrap tail on my SG Special taken off, and a tune-o-matic installed, and it transformed the guitar (still have it, and yes, dammit, I’m old).

No doubt in my mind that it matters in terms of tone.

I think Paul Smith is right when he says that anything that touches the strings have an impact on tone.
Thanks Les, my knowledge of bridges affecting tone is limited as I have owned several different guitars over my life, but most have had an S or T style bridge system, I’m now using an S style with a trem, an S style with a fixed Gotoh bridge and most recently I have obtained a guitar with a wraparound bridge, which resonates like nothing I’ve played before.

I owned a G gold top, with tune-o-matic and tailpiece and was never that impressed with the tone. Maybe it was just my ears!

I’m totally in agreement with what Paul says, there are so many variables. One of the key elements is of course the build, materials, hardware (as Paul frequently quotes, I could go on and on and on and on....)

I might add the most recent guitar has a zero fret as well. Which may also have an effect.

Your age (I mean ahem) experience is appreciated!o_O

What I like about Greg most is his sense of humor. It comes across in his playing as well. I honestly think he is improvising the humor while talking thru these demos, and he is often surprised at what comes out. The Wildwood outtakes are pretty good. A real character.

Back