My beloved Mason-thinking about a mod,read below

studiostrat

So,I just got her used from Guitar Center.I Loooved the neck,she stays in tune forever.Love the neck pickup.Middle is very stratty/tele sounding (bridge plus middle sounds sort of like what Brent does when he uses his blend pot on his regular Tele.Soo.As best as I can tell,the bridge pu is toooo bright for my tastes,and a little thin.I can make it work with the tone knob set on 3,but,what about a mod?Any suggestions?I am a small town studio dude,love Brent Masons work/sound,I'm just hoping for a bridge pu that is fuller in the midrange and not as bright.What do you guys think?Regular 408?513?I'm thinking the main problem is1)he's Brent Mason and plays really fast with not too heavy of a pick attack2)I'm me,and when I play dirtier solos/parts,I tend to dig in more.Ideas?

Hey. I'm jealous! I've been looking for an used Mason, but haven't had much luck. Let's see some pics.

So, I know this may seem obvious, but have you played with the pickup height and tilt from bass to treble? If not, try dropping the treble side and raising the bass side a little. Or, drop the B and E screws a bit and raise the other as needed.

Definitely played with the pickup height on all three,took the bridge treble side down as far as she would go.The screws?Will do that next.Also working on swapping my main preamp tube to mellow it a bit (maybe a 12AT or 12 AT.Will post pics soon;)

Yessir,I was definitely thinking of your thread,I just didn't want to hijack,seeing as I only have one PRS;)

Yessir,I was definitely thinking of your thread,I just didn't want to hijack,seeing as I only have one PRS;)
Go for it and you'll only need one (although I highly recommend you get as many as you can anyway).

I would probably do the same thing you did,but leave the DC 3 in the middle.
I found the SC 408 too powerful for blending w the 305 pickup. The "in between" sounds work better w 408 on 408 (or all three...I had an "add neck PU" push/pull control added to the tone pot.)

Go for it and you'll only need one (although I highly recommend you get as many as you can anyway).
It is (for the time being)my absolute objective to do just that (have a PRS that does it 'all'in one guitar.)Forgive my terminology,btw.I have stalked Anderson's,Tylers,Suhrs('stalked'does not necessarily mean owned).I am super familiar with many a boutique maker's trade-speak,but,not quite PRS's (yet.)
So,I'm guessing you got your Mason insured before you sent her off?I'm thinking I will with mine too.

Ps-If they just made a DGT with a tad smaller neck(pattern thin,pattern)I might be moving toward two PRSs.But that would be awhile from now;)(Part of the sound of that axe is that bigger neck,so my Mason mod better get it done;)

Back