My amp no have mids knob

jtgblade

I have PRS Original Sewell and this amp is very simply, have volume, treble, bass and master volume, my amp has reverb too.

Are the mids in a fixed point?

I know some iconic amps no have mids, but I don´t know what is the behavior of the mids in these amps.

How can get more mids?

Thanks.

My amps have mid controls, but I use an EQ pedal, and also a pedal with an adjustable parametric mid-boost that I sometimes kick on when I need a little more cut.

It’s nice to have that extra bit of tone-shaping ability, because amp mid controls have fixed turnover frequencies, and often EQ pedals have either parametric mid controls or different fixed turnover frequencies,

You can get a lot of interesting uses from a good EQ pedal.

Thanks for your help. I use a xotic ep booster with vintage settings.
What is the EQ pedal do you use?

Thanks for your help. I use a xotic ep booster with vintage settings.
What is the EQ pedal do you use?

I use the Pettyjohn Filter EQ - kind of a “make everything sound better” pedal for me, and the mid-boost pedal is a Suhr KokoBoost.

The Pettyjohn has a mid-frequency control that boosts or cuts at one of three selectable frequencies, all very guitar friendly; strictly speaking I’d call it semi-parametric, since there isn’t a continuous sweep of frequencies. However the turnover points are well-chosen for a guitarist’s needs.

It sounds more like a good studio EQ than a pedal.

The KokoBoost works as both a standard clean boost, and as a midrange boost with a sweepable Q point. John Suhr did a nice job with it; the pedal adds a nice polish to the signal in either mode.

The EP is a great pedal for getting that Echoplex front end sound, by the way. I have an Echoplex clone, and the comparison is interesting!

How can get more mids?

A simple mod is to replace one of the tone pots with a push-pull pot that lifts the ground connection on the tone stack (a.k.a. tone controls). The tone stack is effectively out of the circuit with its ground connection lifted. The amp will take on more of a Tweed mid-heavy tone. There is also a sizable boost in gain because passive tone stacks work by shunting frequencies to ground. Another mod that will make the tone of the amp rawer is to remove the negative feedback loop. That circuit exists to expand the bandwidth of the power amp and reduce power amp distortion. It does so by sacrificing gain in the phase inverter. Part of the Vox AC30 tonal magic is the result of the amp running "open loop" (i.e., it does not have a negative feedback loop).

Thanks so much. I think buy a EQ pedal because I feel when clean up amp, I lost high frequencies and volume. I like use amp clean and dirty.

I use my EQ pedal in front of my amps; my two favorite ones don’t have loops, and I don’t use the loop on my amp that has one. I switch the loop completely out of the circuit because it sounds better.

I use my EQ pedal in front of my amps; my two favorite ones don’t have loops, and I don’t use the loop on my amp that has one. I switch the loop completely out of the circuit because it sounds better.
I use two pedals in front of amp, xotic ep booster and empress echosystem, but delay in front is complicted to setting.I think add overdrive pedal and set amp clean, but i love amp dirty.

I use two pedals in front of amp, xotic ep booster and empress echosystem, but delay in front is complicted to setting.I think add overdrive pedal and set amp clean, but i love amp dirty.

I use delay in front even with a dirty amp, old-school. That’s the way we did it back in the late 60s/early 70s, before amps had effects loops, and it still sounds good (to me). Very organic. I also use a tube Echoplex in front of the amp in addition to the Eventide H9s.

I use delay in front even with a dirty amp, old-school. That’s the way we did it back in the late 60s/early 70s, before amps had effects loops, and it still sounds good (to me). Very organic. I also use a tube Echoplex in front of the amp in addition to the Eventide H9s.
I like too, but i feel need when i play with dirty amp, mix knob and feedback knob set low.
One more time, thanks for help me.

Back