Music Rooms/Guitar Displays

Oh yeah, the point of this thread...forgot to post my craptastic basement studio. Here’s the view toward the workstation; this side of the room needed bass and reflection trapping near the monitors, so I got some RealTraps that work very nicely. I prefer not to have wall clutter, but the RealTraps are an unfortunate necessity. Looks bad, sounds good. I can live with them. It does diminish the impact of the artwork, though, and I have some decent pieces. Sigh.

My brother and I made the black oak and maple furniture from scratch, way back in the late 90s. It still looks new (because I’m OCD). There’s an equipment rack built into the keyboard stand, facing away from the camera near the left wall.

beEayHW.jpg

And the view toward the recording area. This part of the room sounds really good without any treatment except bass trapping in the corners behind the amps. The dynamic mics are always set up and ready to be plugged in. My brother painted the watercolor facing the camera that’s hung on the rear wall (brother brag!):

SSGXa7X.jpg

There are no guitars in the picture, because I keep them cased upstairs. I don’t trust basements as places to keep guitars. It’s bad enough I keep my other equipment down there!

Hint: if you’re stuck using a basement, keep the air circulating and filtered to prevent that musty “basement smell.” I use an incredibly quiet BlueAir purifier - it truly works perfectly. To maintain an even temperature to prevent it from getting chilly (even happens in summer), I’ve got a heater made by Dyson that’s very quiet, but I do turn it off while recording. It’s automatic, and seems to start up at exactly the wrong recording moment if I don’t turn it off! I don’t hear it while I’m at the workstation, but the room is fairly long (33 feet), so it’s pretty far away.

Last edited:
Here's the guitar wall in my band room/theater:

IMG_7082-L.jpg

Here's a wider angle shot of the band area before I put up the foam diamonds:

IMG_6987-L.jpg

The previous shot was taken with my back to the window into the control room:
IMG_6990-L.jpg

I didn't take a picture of the 5'x6' vocal booth which is behind me in the above shot.

Nice setup!

Yeah, that place is a dump.

C’mon! It sucks! Do I have nice built-ins and lighting like in your space? Hell no! My old space had some sweet built-ins to match my furniture, a drywall ceiling, and two 9 foot glass door-walls that led to a patio. In this place, I had to get some cabinets up quickly for the microphones and other junk I keep around, so I ran and got a couple from freakin’ IKEA when we moved. They’re on that back wall. At some point, they’re headed for the storage room where they’ll come in handy and I won’t mind the look.

Take out the gear & stuff, and it’s a pretty generic basement room. I did put in an acoustical ceiling and layer fiberglass panels on top of the ceiling tiles to absorb some of the noise, but other than that...yeah. Basic. Kinda craptastic!

As soon as my back recovers, I’m planning to tear the gear down and have some new carpet and flooring put in. There’s nothing terribly wrong with what’s there, but I cheaped out and put in office carpet that I am beyond sick of. I figure new carpet and maybe some built-in cabinets/shelves on the back wall, if I can get that done reasonably, might make it nicer.

Last edited:
Man, I thought my little Guitar hanger space was nice, made out of an old redwood cabinet that holds 8 hanging guitars... I am not worthy and mine is a dump, no really, it's a dump with fancy makeup....Heck, I'd live in one of y'all's guitar rooms rather than my whole house!!!

I forget when I built my wall cabinets, but about 5 years ago. There is a band of LED lights above each guitar. 3 of the 4 guitars in it have been there most of that time. There has been no change in colour.
CK_573SimpleWallSunrise.JPG

I’ve said this every time I’ve seen it; that wall is just SO NICE!!

Whatever you do, if you hang your guitars with the straps on, dress 'em so they look nice:

strap.jpg

Pull it tight from the bottom diagonally across the back and loop over the upper horn with the rest hanging limp hidden behind the guitar.

BOOM. Guitar and strap neatly displayed.

...yes, it works on singlecuts too.

I’ve got something hanging limp hidden behind the guitar, too. :eek:

I knew my little three guitar setup was gonna look like a joke by the time this thread got rolling... Oh well, works for me. All of these guitars in some of these rooms are REALLY impressive to look at, but frankly OWNING them would make my head hurt. I had a bit of a crisis about moving from two electrics to three, but finally decided P90s were a voice that mattered to me and needed a guitar of their own... Some of you folks probably have 8-10 P90 models alone...

-Ray

There are no words!:oops:

I know. It
I knew my little three guitar setup was gonna look like a joke by the time this thread got rolling... Oh well, works for me. All of these guitars in some of these rooms are REALLY impressive to look at, but frankly OWNING them would make my head hurt. I had a bit of a crisis about moving from two electrics to three, but finally decided P90s were a voice that mattered to me and needed a guitar of their own... Some of you folks probably have 8-10 P90 models alone...

-Ray

Ray, I still have a hard time working myself up to change strings on ONE guitar, let alone 200 or more like a few of the guys have.

But your setup is cool, and you have what you need! Nothing to explain!

Oh yeah, the point of this thread...forgot to post my craptastic basement studio. Here’s the view toward the workstation; this side of the room needed bass and reflection trapping near the monitors, so I got some RealTraps that work very nicely. I prefer not to have wall clutter, but the RealTraps are an unfortunate necessity. Looks bad, sounds good. I can live with them. It does diminish the impact of the artwork, though, and I have some decent pieces. Sigh.

My brother and I made the black oak and maple furniture from scratch, way back in the late 90s. It still looks new (because I’m OCD). There’s an equipment rack built into the keyboard stand, facing away from the camera near the left wall.

beEayHW.jpg

And the view toward the recording area. This part of the room sounds really good without any treatment except bass trapping in the corners behind the amps. The dynamic mics are always set up and ready to be plugged in. My brother painted the watercolor facing the camera that’s hung on the rear wall (brother brag!):

SSGXa7X.jpg

There are no guitars in the picture, because I keep them cased upstairs. I don’t trust basements as places to keep guitars. It’s bad enough I keep my other equipment down there!

Hint: if you’re stuck using a basement, keep the air circulating and filtered to prevent that musty “basement smell.” I use an incredibly quiet BlueAir purifier - it truly works perfectly. To maintain an even temperature to prevent it from getting chilly (even happens in summer), I’ve got a heater made by Dyson that’s very quiet, but I do turn it off while recording. It’s automatic, and seems to start up at exactly the wrong recording moment if I don’t turn it off! I don’t hear it while I’m at the workstation, but the room is fairly long (33 feet), so it’s pretty far away.

Off topic, but that desk lamp is awesome! The gears caught my eye straight away

Back