Music Rooms/Guitar Displays

Solteroblues

So, I'm buying a new house and its got a media room that is large enough to use as both my office as well as an entertainment/music room. Long blank walls begging for guitar hangars and music posters/artwork. I want some ideas! I found an old thread from the early 2000's on TGP, but most of the photo links were dead. I figured some of you guys have a pretty nice music room or wall of guitars, please share some pics!

My wife and I recently bought a house as well, and our basement also has a media room. I made use of the built in television cabinet... ahem... guitar display area:

37836645451_2f2b3510bb_z.jpg

And did the opposite wall with some more hangers:

37578979520_c9f2b47748_z.jpg

Here's the whole room, at least as of when I finished decorating:

37804844102_7b8212ae6d_z.jpg

I used Hercules hangers, which I highly recommend, attached to a cedar 1x6 board, the cedar board being fastened to studs in the wall to avoid any unfortunate and expensive accidents. Prior to installing, I treated the cedar board with a wood aging treatment that gives it that weathered, "old barn wood" look. Turned out very cool with the color scheme of the room. Although the pictures don't do it justice because the sconce lighting in the room isn't great for photos.

Also, I framed some artwork and posters that you can see around the room, using arttoframes.com - if you have odd sized items you want to frame, they will custom make frames for you in any size, with plenty of choices for the frame itself, mats, glass, etc. They are very precise in their fit too, I measured just a hair on the short side to be safe, so I wouldn't have dead space around my items, and they were almost too small, so don't be afraid to use exact measurements if you go with them.

There are some more photos in my Flickr account, feel free to have a look around in there if you wish!

Very small office space and very small collection of guitars, but may give you some idea if you're similarly constrained. Sounds like you're not if you have "long blank walls begging for" much of anything. But in case there are any potential ideas here. Sort of a dedicated music corner adjacent to my desk. I have two acoustics in here also, behind where I'm standing to take the photo, on two closet doors that remain open. Much less aesthetcially pleasing but highly functional. Since they obviously don't have to be plugged in. My electrics all are usually plugged in with a couple of A-B switches at the start of my pedal-chain to select between them...

Also use Hercules hangers, BTW, each screwed directly into a stud...

untitled-2-6 by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

Andy,

that looks awesome! One thing I'm interested in doing, but curious about... I want to shine a light on each of my guitars, but I don't want any fading. Do light bulbs fade colors (especially stains like PRS) like natural sunlight does?

Ray,

Yours looks good to! I like the staggered look.

No, I won't be constrained, the media room is the largest room in the house...

Whatever you do, if you hang your guitars with the straps on, dress 'em so they look nice:

strap.jpg

Pull it tight from the bottom diagonally across the back and loop over the upper horn with the rest hanging limp hidden behind the guitar.

BOOM. Guitar and strap neatly displayed.

...yes, it works on singlecuts too.

I'm not exactly space limited like Ray, but the guitar room is also the guest room, so I agreed to limit it to one wall. I arranged it so it looks just as good with or without guitars.

I framed the posters years ago. There are places online that will custom make frames based on your measurements.

6oJpxREh.jpg

LUgMrtrh.jpg

Just something to consider, for any of you gents that have nitro lacquered guitars (necks), an old black sock (washed of course) with the toe cut off, makes an excellent barrier against the foam on the Hercules hangers. I’m not sure if they would effect the nitro, but why risk it. The material is unobtrusive and cheap!

Here's the guitar wall in my band room/theater:

IMG_7082-L.jpg

Here's a wider angle shot of the band area before I put up the foam diamonds:

IMG_6987-L.jpg

The previous shot was taken with my back to the window into the control room:
IMG_6990-L.jpg

I didn't take a picture of the 5'x6' vocal booth which is behind me in the above shot.

Andy,

that looks awesome! One thing I'm interested in doing, but curious about... I want to shine a light on each of my guitars, but I don't want any fading. Do light bulbs fade colors (especially stains like PRS) like natural sunlight does?

Hmm, good question! My guess would be no, most light bulbs won't fade a guitar finish - I think the UV rays are what fade colors, and most bulbs don't emit nearly as much UV as something would get from the sun. Although apparently fluorescent bulbs have the potential to emit a lot of UV if their internal coating is damaged. I would grab some LED bulbs and not sweat it.

I'm not exactly space limited like Ray, but the guitar room is also the guest room, so I agreed to limit it to one wall. I arranged it so it looks just as good with or without guitars.

I framed the posters years ago. There are places online that will custom make frames based on your measurements.

6oJpxREh.jpg

LUgMrtrh.jpg
Brilliant approach! If my guitar space wasn't a full time guitar space, I'd probably borrow or steal that idea, but since mine just has to share space with my office, the guitars are pretty much always there...

-Ray

Hmm, good question! My guess would be no, most light bulbs won't fade a guitar finish - I think the UV rays are what fade colors, and most bulbs don't emit nearly as much UV as something would get from the sun. Although apparently fluorescent bulbs have the potential to emit a lot of UV if their internal coating is damaged. I would grab some LED bulbs and not sweat it.

Andy,

Actually, some photosensitive dyes used in stains are indeed subject to fading or discoloration and may react to any artificial light - this is partly because every type of light source produces some UV light, though I’m told that LEDs create the least (or maybe none!). However, I’m told by my artist brother who works with pigments that some are more sensitive to any light than others.

In other words, photosensitivity works with both kinds of light, but how much fading or color change there will be depends on the exact dyes and stains used.

However, a guitar doesn’t have to be in direct UV light to fade; a room with windows will get some UV light from the windows. Obviously, the amount of UV that will hit anything hanging far from the window will be less than the UV if placed directly in front of a window, or on the opposite wall. But fading can occur on the far wall, as long as any light is received. Which of course, it will be if a room has a window. Whether that’s an issue or not isn’t for me to judge.

The best way to prevent color fading is to keep the guitar in a dark place - like a case! Also, the case buffers a guitar from the constant temperature and humidity changes a room experiences over the course of a 24 hour period, and the usual amount of dust and cooking detritus that floats around a house will affect the pots and switches.

So there are advantages to hanging the guitars, like not having to open the case, or eyeballing the guitars, but there are advantages to keeping them cased when not in use, like buffering humidity/temp changes, less dust and gunk buildup in pots and switches, and of course, it’s hard to ding a guitar in a case with a vacuum cleaner.

Be aware also that humidity is higher near the ceiling of a basement, but drier near the ceiling of an upstairs room, so you don’t want to hang guitars too close to the ceiling in either location.

6oJpxREh.jpg

LUgMrtrh.jpg

I have that same sign outside my music room!

Back