Most Important Moment In Music History

IKnowALittle

On February 9th, 1964, when Paul stepped up to the mike and sang ... "Close Your Eyes ..."
Changed culture and history forever.
There are very few absolutes in this world, but this one.

Last edited:
Interesting point...and I hope this can turn into an intelligent discussion! While I'm not sure there's a better choice for most important moment on modern music history, I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say history of all music;) What about the contributions of Leo Fender or Les Paul, Robert Johnson "visiting the crossroads", the importing of slaves to America and their influence on music, Mozart or Beethoven, or even the first ancient man to bang two sticks together?

There's the ladle in the pot...feel free to stir it up and discuss it amongst yourselves!:D

Man, no disrespect for your opinion, but honestly, you can't be serious, you just can't.
None of the events you mentioned even comes within 25% of The Beatles influence.
They really are the most important and influential band, regardless of genre, in music history.
Don't know how anyone can credibly argue this.

I was born in 1970, so I'm not contemporaneous, but, f@ck, they are the best ... ever.

Last edited:
And I totally respect yours also! I'm not saying the Beatles aren't the most influential band. I'm saying is their appearance on Ed Sullivan more important to the history of music than any other event? More important than the actual invention of music? I've always looked to who influenced me musically, and looked into who influenced them. So for arguments sake, can it be possible that the people that influenced the Beatles, and the people who influenced them etc...
Is everything that led to the creation of the Beatles a more important series of events?:confused:

And I totally respect yours also! I'm not saying the Beatles aren't the most influential band. I'm saying is their appearance on Ed Sullivan more important to the history of music than any other event? More important than the actual invention of music? I've always looked to who influenced me musically, and looked into who influenced them. So for arguments sake, can it be possible that the people that influenced the Beatles, and the people who influenced them etc...
Is everything that led to the creation of the Beatles a more important series of events?:confused:

I'm saying is their appearance on Ed Sullivan more important to the history of music than any other event?

Well ... actually ... yes.
Your throwing up "strawman" arguements that haven't any relevance to my point.

Let's do this mental exercise. Your results (opinion) may vary from mine, which is cool.
Ask 100 random people from 1,000 cities over the globe these questions for a total of 10,000 people.

1. Do you know who Leo Fender, Les Paul, Crossroads, Robert Johnson are?
The correct response rate would be, being generous, 10% of so that one of them would be mentioned.

2. Do you know who Eric Clapton is?
I would wager 50%, maybe a bit more.

3. Do you know who the Rolling Stones are?
Likely 85-90%'

4. Do you know who "The Beatles" are?
100%

Last edited:
In the Modern Electric Guitar Era: May 21st, 1955. Chuck Berry records Maybellene at Chess Records in Chicago. No Chuck...No Beatles, Rolling Stones, et al.

In the Modern Electric Guitar Era: May 21st, 1955. Chuck Berry records Maybellene at Chess Records in Chicago. No Chuck...No Beatles, Rolling Stones, et al.

Again, just another "strawman" argument.
Not talkin' about guitar. There are always people that come before you.
Doesn't address or pertain to my only point.
The Beatles are the best ... ever.

The only "bands" that have come even remotely close to them are the Stones and Elvis, and this includes Taylor Swift, all that garbage.

Your throwing up "strawman" arguements that haven't any relevance to my point.

Your point is that the Beatles appearing on Ed Sullivan is the most important event in music history.

The entire history of music.

From the dawn of time.

No-one can argue that everyone knows(at least they should know)who the Beatles are. That's not what we are debating.

We are debating that their appearance on a tv show is the most important moment in the entire history of music since the creation of music.

Your point is that the Beatles appearing on Ed Sullivan is the most important event in music history.

The entire history of music.

From the dawn of time.

No-one can argue that everyone knows(at least they should know)who the Beatles are. That's not what we are debating.

We are debating that their appearance on a tv show is the most important moment in the entire history of music since the creation of music.

Honesty, I'm not intentionally trying to be a dIck.
This is just something that I'm real passionate about.

the most important moment in the entire history of music since the creation of music
And YES ... it is.

I think the difference is moment versus development.

The Beatles on Ed Sullivan was a moment, and it's hard to think of a more impactful single moment in music history. But I'd be hard-pressed to say that moment was the most important development in music history - for that matter, I don't think it's the most important development in Beatles history. In Beatles history, I'd lean towards their music development in the Revolver/Sgt. Pepper era.

There are lots of developments that have had nearly as much impact, or perhaps even more, but they can't really be distilled down to a single moment - they're longer-term processes.

But it's hard to find a single event that had a bigger immediate effect. The Beatles on Sullivan is the Big Bang.

Dude...I'm not trying to be one either! I applaud your passion! If there ever is a time when historians objectively look at what "the one most important moment in music ever" is, The Beatles would definitely be a consideration. Not necessarily the instant they appeared on Ed Sullivan, but there mere existence. I understand your passion, but passion is not objectivity. Part of what I have to do for my career is look at scientific/medical articles and studies, and dissect through all the bias, conflict of interest, and plain lack of scientific process and find the facts buried in the minutia.

You can argue passionately about this all day and night...doesn't mean you are wrong or anyone else is right. My opinion, objectively, is that in a wager of the Beatles appearing on Ed Sullivan vs the Field, I'm taking the field when determining the most important moment in the history of music.

YMMV, names have not been changed to protect the innocent, the opinions expressed here are the sole opinions of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the PRS Forum, Re-use of this content is strictly forbidden without the written consent of Major League Baseball, etc, etc, etc...

I think the difference is moment versus development.

The Beatles on Ed Sullivan was a moment, and it's hard to think of a more impactful single moment in music history. But I'd be hard-pressed to say that moment was the most important development in music history - for that matter, I don't think it's the most important development in Beatles history. In Beatles history, I'd lean towards their music development in the Revolver/Sgt. Pepper era.

There are lots of developments that have had nearly as much impact, or perhaps even more, but they can't really be distilled down to a single moment - they're longer-term processes.

But it's hard to find a single event that had a bigger immediate effect. The Beatles on Sullivan is the Big Bang.

Slide over just a little bit. I'm joining you on your pulpit. Totally agree with you.

I agree that the Beatles were huge.

Their first appearance on Ed Sullivan introduced them to a bunch of America. America would have found out about them anyway, loved them and been heavily influenced by them.

It sure is the most important moment to Beatles fanatics.

Okay, but The Clash is "The only band that matters" and Doug E. Fresh is "The world's greatest entertainer". :)

Are you saying 50,000,000 Elvis fans are wrong?

71ubhEQA8%2BL._SX355_.jpg

And Kiss is the "hottest band in the world", where as Cheap Trick is merely an "Epic recording artist".

This is a chicken/egg discussion. Opinions will vary. Allow for that when disagreeing because your opinion is still just an opinion.

But the discussion extends from a faulty premise: that one, and only one, event can be singled out as the most important event in the history of music.

I'm throwing the BS flag on that.

There are simply too many things that had to come together for any relatively recent event to have even been possible. Take away what might seem a minor concurrence and several major occurrences never happen.

Back