Mojo tone pickups

Tober72

hey guys, I have a Sc250 that the pickups are not jelling with me. I really don't want to sell it so I started looking at a pickup swap. I find that I have to roll off the volume on the guitar to about 8 to get a usable tone when I'm on the gain channel. I play a lot of hard rock/ metal.

I'm thinking of one of the pickup sets from the guys from periphery, or between the buried and me. Those guys need a lot of definition in there playing. I saw that most of those pickups are between 10-14 ohms. I'm not worried about them not having enough output seeing that I use a tube screamer in front of my boogie D.C.-5.

Has any one here used pickups from mojo tone? I'm really interested in the tomohawk set.

The other sets I'm looking at are the
Seymour Duncan alpha Omaha
Bare knuckles rebel yell
Bare knuckles black dog
Dimarzio D activators
I don't like EMGs but since I play in a Metallica cover band I'd concider the het set

An opinions or suggestions are welcomed

I would probably try PRS 59/09's as my first option, staying true to your PRS. After that I would go with Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell's that are absolutely fantastic in my Les Paul, and I would assume with other Singlecuts. I tried Black Dogs in a SC58 and found them pretty dark but if your SC250 is naturally bright they may well work. Other BKP pickups to consider would be Juggernauts that seem very popular with the metal guys or Holy Divers, but I haven't tried either of them.

Another option I would look into would be ThroBak MC-102B. I've just installed a set in my 594 and so far they seem very good. They also split very well if that's anything you're interested in.

I actually have a few guitars with Mojotone pickups in them. Being from NC myself I love supporting a local company. They make great stuff, I love their hot classic pups in my Gibson.

I have the tomahawk set in my CE22, and they're just like the description, ballsy with lots of low end, but with a lot of clarity and dynamics (or just not a lot of compression). I would not be concerned with them at all not having enough output, they're louder than the EMG 57/66 set I have in another guitar. My gripe with the bridge pickup though is that it doesn't have a lot of high end, almost sounds like the tone knob is slightly rolled off all the time. It's nice for rhythm, but since you mentioned definition it seems like you might be looking for something with a bit more sparkle. For that I'd also check out the PW Hornet set that mojotone sells, they're the sig for the other guy from BTBAM. Either set will be good, it just depends on your specific taste and what you're looking for. Mojotone also offers a few other relatively high output pickups, so I'd just call them up and tell them what you're looking for, and they should be able to make a suggestion. The other good thing about them is that like duncan, they offer an exchange program if you order something and just hate it, so if you got the Tomahawk and didn't jive with it you could try the Hornet, or visa versa.

Good luck!

I would probably try PRS 59/09's as my first option, staying true to your PRS. After that I would go with Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell's that are absolutely fantastic in my Les Paul, and I would assume with other Singlecuts. I tried Black Dogs in a SC58 and found them pretty dark but if your SC250 is naturally bright they may well work. Other BKP pickups to consider would be Juggernauts that seem very popular with the metal guys or Holy Divers, but I haven't tried either of them.

Another option I would look into would be ThroBak MC-102B. I've just installed a set in my 594 and so far they seem very good. They also split very well if that's anything you're interested in.

...somehow the \m/ metals don't seem to get much love... been searching for threads about them and am coming up pretty blank.
I just put a set in a CE standard and love them. Took out 85/15 pups and am much happier.

Looking at PRS's diagrams, the 59/09s seem to have quite some output. Any comparison you have to the metals? I am eyeing a CU24 with 59/09 but no opportunity to test drive easily. The 85/15 set was too thin for me. Looking for a fuller sound than that, but so far youtube's 59/09 vids haven't convinced me...

...somehow the \m/ metals don't seem to get much love... been searching for threads about them and am coming up pretty blank.
I just put a set in a CE standard and love them. Took out 85/15 pups and am much happier.

Looking at PRS's diagrams, the 59/09s seem to have quite some output. Any comparison you have to the metals? I am eyeing a CU24 with 59/09 but no opportunity to test drive easily. The 85/15 set was too thin for me. Looking for a fuller sound than that, but so far youtube's 59/09 vids haven't convinced me...

Never had the metals so can't really compare. 59/09's are for sale from PRS directly though so easy enough to buy a set without having to pay that much. Shouldn't be hard to sell if you don't like them either.

Back