Modified Monday

This is an old photo. the only thing that's different now is the bridge pickup.

IMG_3118.jpg

2009 SE MM Baritone. Planet waves locking tuners. Neck pickup is an 8K Fralin, bridge pickup is a Suhr SSV+. F*nder witch hat amp knobs.

5 way superswitch splits the pickups in positions 2 and 4. I had to figure out how to add the 2.2K resistor to the split circuit using the superswitch, and this was the solution I came up with.

ResistorWiring.jpg

5 way superswitch splits the pickups in positions 2 and 4. I had to figure out how to add the 2.2K resistor to the split circuit using the superswitch, and this was the solution I came up with.

ResistorWiring.jpg

What does the 2.2k resistor to ground do?

Nice John, looks great, especially dig the knobs! I've been wondering about one of these lately too. Does it ever end? (stupid question!)

What does the 2.2k resistor to ground do?

It just allows some of the signal from the grounded coil to come through in the tapped position. In other words you get a little less volume drop, a little bit of hum canceling but also less of a true single coil tone. I've played around with a mini pots (variable resistors) in this position but found the stock PRS values (1.1K and 2.2K for neck/bridge I think) to be pretty good, at least for the 57/08s and 53/10s anyway.

PRS started doing this a while back, about 2010 on the DGTs etc IIRC

Finally got in from rehearsal and snapped a few quick pics before it's no longer Monday.

So this is my Singlecut Trem:

I've gone through a few sets of pickups but came back to the set of WB Firewaters that I received when I got the guitar awhile back. They sound massive with gain and clean up very well. I'm especially in love with the neck pick right now and I'm just exploring everything I can do with it. The volume and tone controls were replaced with Bourns 500k Push/Pull pots. The volume control splits the neck pickup when pulled up and the tone control splits the bridge giving me more tonal combinations to work with. I've been using the full neck humbucker with the bridge split and the volume and tone rolled back slightly. Great jazz and blues tone ther depending on how you work the controls. The old selector switch wouldn't hold position anymore so that was swapped out with a Switchcraft toggle. I changed the speed knobs out for lampshades.

I added a Tremol-no and stepped my string gauge back up to 11-49 (D'Addario NYXL's). Super low action now which is somewhat new for me. I am considering raising my bridge a bit to get some space to pull the trem up a but I'm enjoying the low action for now. I also replaced the cavity cover with a stock PRS cover since I had the original signed.

All of my guitars get Schaller Straplocks and a felt/fabric washer that matches the body finish. The random necessities in life.

New and improved headstock look with the forum trc and new Phase II tuners with ebony buttons! I always wanted ebony buttons for this guitar and the hybrid look of the new tuners looks gorgeous so I opted for both.

The most important tone enhancement on the guitar is this guys signature. I think it made the guitar a few more dB loud too :p

All in all, I absolutely LOVE this guitar now. I mean I did before but now it's a lot more personal to me with the mods done to it. My next mod will be unplated brass saddles from our very own John Mann. I will have to contact him and find out when the next batch will be made up. After that I'm done and can move on to the next guitar... hopefully.

I had a whole thread dedicated to this guitar back on BaM, so I figured I should put it somewhere on this forum. This was before PTC, so I had Larry (paintguy) do this project for me. The plan....get a McCarty in a pearl white type finish. So I found a good deal on a McCarty standard - perfect, because I already had a black McStd. that I love. Let's go white!!! I took a Ford color platinum white metallic tri-coat, changed to a slightly smaller metal flake and went heavier on blue pearl part of the equation.
Other mods:
-adjustable stoptail
-Gotoh SD90 locking Kluson tuners
-HFS/Duncan jazz pickups....since changed to \m/ treble pickup and 5909 neck pickup
-lampshade knobs
-polar bear truss rod cover(also the name of the guitar)

Original stock:
4625913098_bf973e5ae8_b.jpg

4625914530_fee8b481c6_o.jpg

Oh crap, how can I put paint on top of this?!?!?!?!
4634196510_f50a27a60f_o.jpg

Gotta stick to the plan....
4673127370_ba07d1d0f6_o.jpg

4673127490_baa462f3c2_o.jpg

Gotta have a bird somewhere
4722673854_24a7288880_o.jpg

Done & in the sun
4791311917_43aa099225_b.jpg

Up close & personal
4791942670_a1a74bc49a_b.jpg

Not period correct, but always loved this on early McCarty's
4795069982_533218e278_b.jpg

Better camera and photographer
4841181638_22ff5a8012_b.jpg

Last edited:
Hell yeah Vaughn! I can see why you didn't want to paint her after uncovering that bit o Hog but I'm glad you did, looks great!

How do those pickups sound in a "Standard" body?

Also very happy you've ressurected this thread, I've got 3 small additions planned for the future but can't find the time to get them done properly, I could do them but want to record the before and afters.

I'm upset, Vaughn - I don't remember that thread from BAM at all, and a memory of this beauty could have been in my brain all these years!

That's awesome. Just awesome.

Hell yeah Vaughn! I can see why you didn't want to paint her after uncovering that bit o Hog but I'm glad you did, looks great!

How do those pickups sound in a "Standard" body?

Also very happy you've ressurected this thread, I've got 3 small additions planned for the future but can't find the time to get them done properly, I could do them but want to record the before and afters.
I liked all of the pickups I've tried in this guitar. I actually like the HFS better in standards than I do maple top guitars. I haven't tried the \m/ in a maple capped guitar. I bought it for this guitar and haven't removed it since.

Back