Modified Monday

It's early Monday morning here in Aus, I'm on my way home after 4 weeks at sea and looking for some motivation to get the tools out.

What's new in the world of PRS mods?

It's early Monday morning here in Aus, I'm on my way home after 4 weeks at sea and looking for some motivation to get the tools out.

What's new in the world of PRS mods?

I've got the Hollowbody on the bench!
...for new strings :(

This looks to be the perfect place to post pics of my pickup ring swap. The cream looked alright but I much prefer the black now!

Before:
hVUkMsz.jpg

After:
2lGrtQG.jpg

Just put in 50s wiring, bumblebee caps, CTS pots, braided wires, and fixed the bad grounding...
... in my LP o_O '05 Faded... oops.

My current project is not a PRS, but it will have a PRS pickup and knobs. Also, a 25" scale neck with a 10" radius. If you boil it down, it's kind of a two pickup swamp ash special with the body in the shape of a jazzmaster.

Hey guys,

New here :) Looks like I found THE gang for this type of question!

'98 SAS Truss Rod Work...Should I send the neck in to the factory?

I got an excellent '98 SAS (been wanting one since that year) recently form Reverb. It came with the strings pressed right on the neck. None of my rod adjustment did anything. After a few techs and a "neck wrangle" it responded but in no way normally. It turns out the rod was just pushing against the neck randomly. Sometimes I'd get my desired setting (rock sold neck that stays however you set it, BTW).

I just got the final word on it from a luthier who worked under Grover Jackson. He did an amazing job of taking the back contour down to a more modern "Wide/Fat" profile. When we were tweaking a final set up-"Uh Oh!

After much inspection, he found that the bell nut wasn't moving separately from the rod and that it looked glued. There was no washer/bracket either. He had also noticed that there was writing whited out in at the neck heel.

Everyone in my town is out of their league on this repair. Being that the neck is a bolt on and easily shipped, do you guy's think it's worth sending it back to the factory for mending? Is this something that's usually covered by warranty?

Thanks for your help and a big "HELLO !!!",

MK

I suggest you contact the PRS PTC (tech center) with this questions and maybe some pics of the s/n and the problems on the neck.
They should get back to you with suggestions and a quote.
Having some writing on the neck heel is normal and could be just the factory markings during production.

PRS offer a lifetime warranty only if you're the original owner... Def worth emailing the PTC to see that they can do, good luck and let us know how you get on!

Thanks for the help, Just!

PTC was a bit brief and said I was looking at $1,500 minimum. Amazingly, the next day the truss settled back in and I could really appreciate the work the Luthier did (spot on). I'm not sure what happened. It's totally consistent again.

The truss has always responded completely differently than the X in my avatar-more by turns of an 8th than less than a quarter. This is the way of older generation rod, so I'm told. Anyway, The neck is the definition of quarter- sawn maple. It's almost like metal. Once it's there, it stays :)))!!! Good luck, Elements-lol

This looks to be the perfect place to post pics of my pickup ring swap. The cream looked alright but I much prefer the black now!

Before:
hVUkMsz.jpg

After:
2lGrtQG.jpg

Love those black pickup rings, makes such a difference. It's always in the eye of the beholder of course, but I much prefer it. I did the same to my dark blue 08 CU24.
I don't have a 'before' picture on the MacBook i'm using now, but here's the result.....

sifORtk.jpg

I lied, I've found a 'before' picture.......

YASZ0QO.jpg

Been working on this for a week. My Vela's fretboard was a bit rough so I decided to go at it with 400 and 1000 grit wet and dry to get it silky smooth. To get it really smooth I used a worn piece of 1000 grit soaked in Crimson guitars restorative oil. My cores are so smooth in comparison to what my Vela used to be. I have done this to 3 Gibson's in the past but they were real fence post's.

Before: You can see how rough the board is. I used oil to highlight it. The two frets to the left have been smoothed with 400 grit.

1FNBI5T.jpg

After: I rolled the edges a little too.

3euS2oC.jpg

Next I switched the toggle for a switchcraft just because I had one in my drawer. Plus I like a cream tip. This layout pleases my eye more and looks more like my Starla.

scGnXe8.jpg

The next mod was to cover up the damage I did when trying to enlarge the tones hole for the toggle. I used a 11mm drill bit then enlarged to just shy of 12mm using a file. I got a little carried away and ended up pulling the file out more than once and scratching the pickguard. I should have waited until my step drill arrived and done the job properly. I used the step drill to clean up the hole to 12mm today and its perfect now. Anyway to cover up the scratches I decided to give the pickguard the brushed nickel look to match the truss rod cover. Again I used a combination of 400 grit to remove the scratches I added then 1000 to get it smooth and worn 1000 to get it looking nice and even. I was going to just replace the pickguard anyway so it wasn't the end of the world if this did not work

KzN9oQT.jpg

GbXjUsy.jpg

I think it looks better now. Thought's?

Been working on this for a week. My Vela's fretboard was a bit rough so I decided to go at it with 400 and 1000 grit wet and dry to get it silky smooth. To get it really smooth I used a worn piece of 1000 grit soaked in Crimson guitars restorative oil. My cores are so smooth in comparison to what my Vela used to be. I have done this to 3 Gibson's in the past but they were real fence post's.

Before: You can see how rough the board is. I used oil to highlight it. The two frets to the left have been smoothed with 400 grit.

1FNBI5T.jpg

3euS2oC.jpg

Next I switched the toggle for a switchcraft just because I had one in my drawer. Plus I like a cream tip. This layout pleases my eye more and looks more like my Starla.

scGnXe8.jpg

The next mod was to cover up the damage I did when trying to enlarge the tones hole for the toggle. I used a 11mm drill bit then enlarged to just shy of 12mm using a file. I got a little carried away and ended up pulling the file out more than once and scratching the pickguard. I should have waited until my step drill arrived and done the job properly. I used the step drill to clean up the hole to 12mm today and its perfect now. Anyway to cover up the scratches I decided to give the pickguard the brushed nickel look to match the truss rod cover. Again I used a combination of 400 grit to remove the scratches I added then 1000 to get it smooth and worn 1000 to get it looking nice and even. I was going to just replace the pickguard anyway so it wasn't the end of the world if this did not work

KzN9oQT.jpg

GbXjUsy.jpg

Looks great! Nice job!

1FNBI5T.jpg

3euS2oC.jpg

scGnXe8.jpg

KzN9oQT.jpg

GbXjUsy.jpg

I dig it!

Thanks everyone. I think the brushed look really class's up an already classy guitar. It looks great in person.

Back