Modern eagles

g.wizz

Nabs
I know that the First Modern Eagle is considered by many as the top echelon for this series of production guitars
so what is your rating of the remaining II III and IV?
do you see a big difference? I'm asking because I'm still hoping that I'll get one of them someday ( if I'm lucky that is )
I'd like to here your take on them and my appreciation and thanks in advance to anyone willing to chime in
NB: I sure don't mind drooling over pictures too

N.

I think that the ME I is by far & away the cream of the crop........ because of the brazzy neck. The satin finish will also set it apart from some of the newer models. ME II is just a McCarty with an IRW Neck IMHO!

I think Markie is right as a general rule. The ME Is I've played have been universally great although I recall playing an Angry Larry 25th Anniversary ME II that was killer in every way. Possibly the best ME I came across.

I REALLY love my ME II it may not be as "SPECIAL" as something with BRW but it just has something special in the sound.

My point of entry was the ME Quatro. I don't care enough about BRW-vs-IRW tone debate to pay up for BRW, but I really DID want the 53/10 pickups. Bought clean and used in 2013 at a serious discount from new pricing.

The rest of the package, as photographed by my friend Dumeril Seven:

...so what is your rating of the remaining II III and IV?
What about the three you didn't mention?
1) Singlecut Trem Modern Eagle
2) SC250 Modern Eagle
3) ME LTD

The ME 1, to me, is just a repackaged BRW McCarty; which is cheaper with older/darker BRW than what I usually found on the ME 1. At least the SCT ME is different. The original ME also had frets that were pretty square at the top, which was a pain in the ass. The RP's weren't real popular either.

The 250 was export only. I don't know much about them.

And the ME LTD... now there's a great guitar. Since there are only 100, not many guys have played one. As such, it never got much press. It is the best sounding/feeling ME, in my opinion. The neck is solid Madagascar Rosewood. Fretboard too. It is so smooth, like BRW. Paul could have used any wood he wanted for the Paul's 28 fretboard. He used Madagascar Rosewood. All 25 of the original Violin guitars made for expert have Mad Rosewood too. It also had a 57/08 and 57/08 narrow fields which sound fantastic - on top of the fact that the additional pickups increased the tonal options.

Just my $.02.

Last edited:
Thank you Hans for educating me more about the ME i knew i'm missing something in my post
I admit my knoweldge is poor in this particular model and i'd like to add another question:
Did they come with different neck carves or only the W/F?

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;176603 said:
And the ME LTD... now ther's a great guitars. Since there are only 100, not many guys have played one. As such, it never got much press. It is the best sounding/feeling ME, in my opinion. The neck is solid Madagascar Rosewood. Fretboard too. It is so smooth, like BRW. Paul could have used any wood he wanted for the Paul's 28 fretboard. He used Madagascar Rosewood. All 25 of the Violin guitars made for expert have Mad Rosewood too. It also had a 57/08 and 57/08 narrow fields which sound fantastic - on top of the fact that the additional pickups increased the tonal options.

Just my $.02.

Don't forget about the inlays - Celtic knots - now only available on Collection guitars.

My point of entry was the ME Quatro. I don't care enough about BRW-vs-IRW tone debate to pay up for BRW, but I really DID want the 53/10 pickups. Bought clean and used in 2013 at a serious discount from new pricing.

The rest of the package, as photographed by my friend Dumeril Seven:

That's a photographing M@f@!

For me, the ME1 rules the roost as it has all the magic ingedients. Next up would be the ME2 as it still has a nitro finish (which is key to me) but has an IRW neck. From a players point of view, the ME2 is possibly the best of the bunch with nitro and 57/08s as stock.

The other MEs I can't get excited about I'm afraid, they were just overpriced McCartys to me.

I know that the First Modern Eagle is considered by many as the top echelon for this series of production guitars
so what is your rating of the remaining II III and IV?
do you see a big difference? I'm asking because I'm still hoping that I'll get one of them someday ( if I'm lucky that is )
I'd like to here your take on them and my appreciation and thanks in advance to anyone willing to chime in
NB: I sure don't mind drooling over pictures too

N.

I have had 3 ME1s, a ME 2 and a Quatro. The ME 1s are a unique beast, and I think you will either love them, or not really care for them. Unlike most PRSs, they also vary DRASTICALLY in tone. I had a killer, a pretty good one, and a not so good one. I have also played ME1s that were DOGS, (IMO) and I do not think I can say that about any other PRS I have ever played, and thats a lot! I really dug the Quatro, but I could not get along with the thinner neck, and the pups were a bit thin compared to 57/08s as well. (Noticed this more recently) Looking back over all of them, the ME2 was my favorite. Looks, tone, feel...it has it all! :top: (For me, IMO YMMV etc etc)

I have had 3 ME1s, a ME 2 and a Quatro. The ME 1s are a unique beast, and I think you will either love them, or not really care for them. Unlike most PRSs, they also vary DRASTICALLY in tone. I had a killer, a pretty good one, and a not so good one. I have also played ME1s that were DOGS, (IMO) and I do not think I can say that about any other PRS I have ever played, and thats a lot! I really dug the Quatro, but I could not get along with the thinner neck, and the pups were a bit thin compared to 57/08s as well. (Noticed this more recently) Looking back over all of them, the ME2 was my favorite. Looks, tone, feel...it has it all! :top:

I commented on a previous thread that I preferred an IRW neck PRS over a BRW neck PRS. My experience is that in general good quality IRW is still available whereas good quality BRW is very dear. I love a nice BRW fretboard, but would certainly take a great piece of indian over a mediocre piece of brazilian.

I commented on a previous thread that I preferred an IRW neck PRS over a BRW neck PRS. My experience is that in general good quality IRW is still available whereas good quality BRW is very dear. I love a nice BRW fretboard, but would certainly take a great piece of indian over a mediocre piece of brazilian.

Im just not sure I (or anyone) can REALLY tell the difference. Even in acoustic guitars that have entire sides and backs with Indian and Brazilian. Two pieces of Brazilian (or Indian) can sound more different than a piece of Brazilian and Indian, so how can you ever be sure? I think the best you can do is say I prefer THAT one over THIS one. (Be it Brazzy or Indian) Just my 2 cents. :)

ADDING.... besides that, how can you tell what a "good" piece of Brazzy or Indian is compared to a "bad" one??

Last edited:
Hi Tag I hear you. My point is that If it were up to me, the best piece of wood (in this case rosewood) available would be used for a build If I had a say in it regardless of species, and I am in perfect agreement with your statement.

Hi Tag I hear you. My point is that If it were up to me, the best piece of wood (in this case rosewood) available would be used for a build If I had a say in it regardless of species, and I am in perfect agreement with your statement.

Very cool! :) I have had PRS with both that were (are) so good, it would be impossible to say which is better. Have also heard the same with Martin Acoustics with both types.

Back