Mel Bay

Goldtop

A Top (and Heart) of Gold
I'd like to know how many of us have actually used any Mel Bay teaching manuals. I was listening to the song in this video earlier today, and I wondered if the internet, lessons and teachers in real life, and even other books like "Guitar for Dummies", etc.. have made Mel Bay a thing of the past.

I have never owned any Mel Bay books. I've looked at some here and there, but that's it. (No doubt my playing would probably bear that out!)

Goldtop Lloyd

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Mel Bay method books for my students as part of their guitar curriculum. I find them an invaluable tool for teaching how to read music and keeping students on a steady course whether adults or children. I usually stress certain techniques and add my 2 cents of theory as we progress depending on the student to get more out of the book. I like the pace and selection of music.
I'll also write down my own lessons as we progress and incorporate songs the student wants to learn into the guitar lesson. Having fun is the most important part. Eventually I will introduce other books that I like, depending on the style of music the student is most interested in playing.
Even though I write down quite a bit of my own material, the books I choose will ultimately be a combination of exercises, songs, scales, chords, arpeggios etc. to make my job a little easier.

I never used Mel Bay but I was tossing around the idea of getting a few books to test the waters. The PRS Signature Club members get a good discount on all Mel Bay products which is awesome.

I use the Mel Bay method books for my students as part of their guitar curriculum. I find them an invaluable tool for teaching how to read music and keeping students on a steady course whether adults or children. I usually stress certain techniques and add my 2 cents of theory as we progress depending on the student to get more out of the book. I like the pace and selection of music.
I'll also write down my own lessons as we progress and incorporate songs the student wants to learn into the guitar lesson. Having fun is the most important part. Eventually I will introduce other books that I like, depending on the style of music the student is most interested in playing.
Even though I write down quite a bit of my own material, the books I choose will ultimately be a combination of exercises, songs, scales, chords, arpeggios etc. to make my job a little easier.

I'm glad you're still using Mel Bay material. It's been such a mainstay for so long that I'd hate to see it disappear from the scene. Anything to get people to open any book is a positive to me. I commend you for what you're doing.

Lloyd

I picked up a Mel Bay basic instructional book back in the mid 80's when I was starting. I decided 10 pages in that it was lame beyond belief! Sadly, I'm not sure I've progressed beyond that first book's content. Sure looks like they've got better offerings these days!

Back