Mccarty vs. Mccarty 594

PeterK

I own a Mccarty, I love it. I just played a Mccarty 594, also love it. My questions here are, would owning both be overkill? Has anyone here had any experience owning both? Thank you!

IME, the difference between a one piece and two piece bridge tonally is at least as much as a difference in scale length. I suspect on average they are two fairly different animals.Why not own both if they both float your boat?

Has anyone here had any experience owning both?

I think that at some point in the next year, I'm about to find out.

By the way - this place is all about overkill...

=K

I own both . they are very different , indeed . My McCarty is a 30th-anniversary vine model , blood orange . The 594 McCarty is a wood library model . They both have their own unique tone print and make really fine recording tools . I sold a sig limited to purchase the 594 . As versatile as the sig limited was , I'm finding the 594 to be even more useful tonally . I would say that most of the members in this forum would enjoy what this guitar can do for their gigging and recording experiences . Hearing is believing . Go out today and try one out . You'll be glad you did...Your WIFE might not be, though ! Good luck .

I own a Mccarty, I love it. I just played a Mccarty 594, also love it. My questions here are, would owning both be overkill? Has anyone here had any experience owning both? Thank you!

There is no such thing as overkill in guitars, is there? :)

Seriously, I have a 2015 McCarty, and just committed to a 594. I'll keep both.

Reactions: FJ4
Get a 594 and you may not play your McCarty much again. I think that you are missing out on so much with a twin humbucker guitar if you don't have dual volume controls. There are so many tonal variations to be had in the middle position, especially with the single coil per pickup added into the mix.

But if you are a set and forget type, then you may not appreciate that degree of control and prefer master tone/volume. You do know that by even asking the question, you have sentenced yourself to getting one anyway?? ;)

Oh! And have to admit. I own 3 McCarty's (Korina, Brazilian, and Hollowbody) and just got a 594. All have their own voice... the 594 has more.

I have a similar question I have just got a 594 DC and love it but am very tempted to get a clearout Private Stock McCarty SC. Price is very reasonable and I would hope it would hold its value quite well. My other option is go for a P245 SH or HB 2 to give me more tonal options. How similar do people who have owned the MSC PS and 594 (core model) think they are?

I have a similar question I have just got a 594 DC and love it but am very tempted to get a clearout Private Stock McCarty SC. Price is very reasonable and I would hope it would hold its value quite well. My other option is go for a P245 SH or HB 2 to give me more tonal options. How similar do people who have owned the MSC PS and 594 (core model) think they are?
very different imo, mostly the pickups in the 594 are more articulate and of course have the push-pull's for even more tonality. the neck is also asymmetrical, giving it a different feel entirely.

very different imo, mostly the pickups in the 594 are more articulate and of course have the push-pull's for even more tonality. the neck is also asymmetrical, giving it a different feel entirely.

Thanks I did play the SC briefly alongside the 594 and preferred the feel of the 594 neck. Hard to judge sound on a shop amp but the 594 at home sounds quite different from the LP R8. I suspect the SC would be closer to the LP? The sheer beauty and feel of the SC is what is drawing me to it!

not sure if the SC is closer to an LP in anything other than a familiar shape. again, just my opinion. i think you can get a close proximity dialing in controls on both amp and guitar. that being said, the SC, a private stock no less, is a wonderful instrument.

The 594 sounds like it might be just about perfect. BUT, already having the PS MSC gives me pause......From that standpoint, MAYBE the 594 DC is where I will, eventually, end up going.

The 594 is pretty close to perfection! Really a culmination of all that's great about PRS. I am biased on the DC. :)

Ahhhhh thanks guys! ...Looks like I'll be spending more time in my local music store trying it out...

Back