McCarty Tuners

ScottFFitch

on my 2007 McCarty Korina, it has the "vintage style" tuners, which seem great, but I have a question regarding the care and maintenance of said tuners..

is it necessary to oil these tuners?

in other guitars I've owned with this type of tuner..I've replaced the tuner before any such maintenance would be required, but I haven't yet found a replacement that would fit my maccarty -- does anybody have any suggestions? I'd love a set of PRS lockers...

There are small holes for grease (not oil), but I've never greased my tuners, so I'm not sure. If they are working and holding tune, leave em alone!

Also, locking tuners are not a drop in replacement - different screw down bushings, different holes in the back of the headstock. I would leave the McCarty tuners on there.

on my 2007 McCarty Korina, it has the "vintage style" tuners, which seem great, but I have a question regarding the care and maintenance of said tuners..

is it necessary to oil these tuners?

in other guitars I've owned with this type of tuner..I've replaced the tuner before any such maintenance would be required, but I haven't yet found a replacement that would fit my maccarty -- does anybody have any suggestions? I'd love a set of PRS lockers...

me, you, and the other gazillion people who own mccarty's would love a locking tuner drop in replacement also !!!!!!! mr. smith would make a TON of loyal users completely overjoyed by granting that request.
by the way, i also have a mccarty korina. best guitar i've ever owned!

Last edited:
There is another current thread showing how to make vintage tuners like locking tuners just by the way you set the wire. With that you don't need to replace the tuners ... ever. I don't add grease and I've never had one wear out. Even on my 58 Martin.

http://www.wdmusic.com/gotoh_kluson_style_locking_tuner_3_3_nickel.html

8662208611_7a5e233314_b.jpg

They work great. I found mine about $20 cheaper somewhere online.

I have a set if the Gotoh Kluson locking tuners, bought them for my LP. I never liked how you have to lock them with a coin, so I took them off. Bet they are a drop in though.

With a closed back tuner, Once there is grease in there it's not going anywhere, so you should never have to put more grease in. If you put new/more grease in the old grease has to come out somehow. Again should NEVER have to add grease.

I have a set if the Gotoh Kluson locking tuners, bought them for my LP. I never liked how you have to lock them with a coin, so I took them off. Bet they are a drop in though.
These Gotoh I linked self lock. No coin, no nuthin'. Just pull the string through, keep it taut, and start tuning up....they lock automatically. They work quite well, very smooth, no slip.

Back