McCarty issues

Seb Woolley

Hi, I've recently picked myself up a McCarty from 2000, beautiful guitar. However it seems the top 3 strings (g b e) are slightly muted compared to the bottom 3, also there's a slight touch of sitar ring on the top e but only when played open. I'm not sure if the issues are coming from the nut, bridge or both ends. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hehe, as soon as I can figure how to get pics up you shall have some! I thought it might be a set up, but the neck has the right relief, the action is fine and the intonation is spot on.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the 'new material' nut was introduced in 2003(?). I bought a used 2000 McRosie and that was the first thing that was replaced. The new one weighed 1 gram more according to my guitar tech...

Thanks for the responses! I was leaning towards it being more on the nut side rather than the bridge side, I've heard of a few incidents where the wrap around bridge can cause problems angling forward causing a bad break angle, but as far as I can make out the strings sit pretty well in their grooves on the bridge.

If the bridge leans, replace the studs with locking ones. I think tonepros make some.

Otherwise throw a new nut on there or have someone try to reshape the slots

Get the locking posts, that way bridge will stay tight when you remove all the strings.

With stock posts, bridge will come off when you take all the strings off at the same time which isn't a huge deal but your posts can turn and that will change the height of your bridge. Something you may not notice until you put it back together.

Get the locking posts, that way bridge will stay tight when you remove all the strings.

With stock posts, bridge will come off when you take all the strings off at the same time which isn't a huge deal but your posts can turn and that will change the height of your bridge. Something you may not notice until you put it back together.

A piece of blue painter's tape over each post and the bridge ends will do the same thing...

Back