Mccarty DC594 or SC594?

megaboogie

408 Birds in the Sky
I watched the recent Andertons youtube clip with PRS himself last night.
Very cool video featuring the DC,SC594 and towards the end they also talk about the reclaimed PRS(I am anxiously waiting on my preordered Vela myself...).

Loved the tone they got out of the PS DC594, and got me intrigued on the 594 models with no way to try.
Anyone who has tried both DC and SC594 enlighten me? what are their main differences in terms of tone?

Last edited:
I own several of both. They are very similar in tone, with the SC being a little thicker/fuller in tone. Not a ton, but on average enough that it is a noticeable difference.

The "feel" is different, the SC feels like the best classic Singlecut you've ever played, while the DC has better ergonomics for being a little more comfortable in wearing on a strap for a few hours for a gig.

DC's seem to range in weight from 7.5 pounds to 8.75 pounds, SC's from 8.25 to 9.5 pounds. Typical weights seem to be around 8 pounds give or take for a DC, 8.75 pounds for an SC.

If you want to best classic Singlecut tones and vibe, go for the SC. If you want the best DC ever that has those Singlecut tones better than any SC before it, and you want the ergonomic benefits of a DC, go that route. You can't go wrong either way, they are both terrific!!

I prefer the Singlecut right now, by a narrow margin. I am between bands right now, but if I were headed out for a gig, I would probably grab a Doublecut, for the lighter weight and economics. ;)

Hope that helps!

I own several of both. They are very similar in tone, with the SC being a little thicker/fuller in tone. Not a ton, but on average enough that it is a noticeable difference.

The "feel" is different, the SC feels like the best classic Singlecut you've ever played, while the DC has better ergonomics for being a little more comfortable in wearing on a strap for a few hours for a gig.

DC's seem to range in weight from 7.5 pounds to 8.75 pounds, SC's from 8.25 to 9.5 pounds. Typical weights seem to be around 8 pounds give or take for a DC, 8.75 pounds for an SC.

If you want to best classic Singlecut tones and vibe, go for the SC. If you want the best DC ever that has those Singlecut tones better than any SC before it, and you want the ergonomic benefits of a DC, go that route. You can't go wrong either way, they are both terrific!!

I prefer the Singlecut right now, by a narrow margin. I am between bands right now, but if I were headed out for a gig, I would probably grab a Doublecut, for the lighter weight and economics. ;)

Hope that helps!

This really helps me tons, thank you!
Would love to get both, but I think I will hunt for a SC this time.

I can probably share my experience. I went today in the guitar shop. I went there pretty determined to get a singlecut. I spent a good two hours there, ended up buying the double cut. Can't really say why. Really liked the feeling, the easyness of access, and I couldn't spot any difference in tone. Probably the sc is a bit more "fat", or "loud". But in order to detect that I had to swap them a couple of times without touching any of the controls of the amp; and even then, I am not sure. So my advice would be to get a feel for yourself, without preconceptions, and you may be suprised!

I think the beauty of the 594 originally was to finally get THAT sound (really for the first time) out of a PRS double cut. I mean, that damn John Reardon was right, if you wanted something that sounded like an LP, you better get an LP, until now! The DC 594 is really the best of both worlds.

BUT, aside from all the things that make us love PRS, if you really want a single cut guitar that sounds like an LP, you might be better served by getting an LP.

So, that may be a long way around to get to my opinion, which is get the DC, and stick with what has made the 594 the most sought after model in years.

I think the beauty of the 594 originally was to finally get THAT sound (really for the first time) out of a PRS double cut. I mean, that damn John Reardon was right, if you wanted something that sounded like an LP, you better get an LP, until now! The DC 594 is really the best of both worlds.

BUT, aside from all the things that make us love PRS, if you really want a single cut guitar that sounds like an LP, you might be better served by getting an LP.

So, that may be a long way around to get to my opinion, which is get the DC, and stick with what has made the 594 the most sought after model in years.

I actually own several nice LP's so I've got the LP tone covered.:)

Right now I am pretty much set on getting the SC, all my PRS are DC and I miss the '06 SC I stupidly sold.
I found a local store with a SC594, so I am going to try it this week.

Back