McCarty 594 vs Custom 24

HNSFury

PEACE
Hi folks

I finally decided to buy my first PRS (longtime strat and LP player here), but I still can't make up my mind between the custom 24 and the 594 ...

Can some of the pundits chime in on the main differences? and how you felt about the guitars over the longer term after buying either (e.g: I bought a Tele but never warmed towards it after the initial buying spree).

I already have an Am Deluxe Strat with custom pups and a Gibby LP STD with low wound OX4's pups.

I played a few of each guitar (24 & 594)... the 594 is a natural choice given the LP and the music I hear (60's-70's) although I already have an LP, on the other hand, the custom 24 sits well in my current lineup of guitars (despite the fact that I sometimes feel it sounds too brittle and bright).

I know only I can choose the guitar that's right for me... however, I'd really like to know your experiences and advice.

It sounds to me like you need both guitars. The good news is you can buy one at a time but which to buy first?

I'm in somewhat of a similar position. I got my CU24 first because of a great deal on a trade. I want both - they are different enough that the only similarity was name on the headstock.

Big differences: scale length, number of frets, the pickups (at least stock), neck shapes. I think you see what I mean about the lack of similarities. What kind of tones are you after? Do you want a trem?

I honestly don't find my 2013 CU24 to be too brittle or bright. It seems to do everything exceptionally well. I do love mine.

I'm still going to get a 594 down the road.

:) What would you do? .....

FWIW I love my G and F guitars so I'm keeping them both unless I upgrade them to custom shop models.

JSanta85 .... I'm looking for good tone doesn't have to be only classical tones. I'm also looking for good full clean tones.

I guess the 594 has coil taps which I didn't like on the Les Paul 2016 STD T...not sure what the CU24 has taps or splits?

Last edited:
My first PRS was a Custom 24 with 59/09’s. It was a great guitar, but it’s gone. I have a DC 594, LP and Strat. The 24 will offer they greatest distinction among what you already have. I thought the 24 was too modern sounding for my needs. However I have seen a 60’s cover band whose guitarist gets a fabulous 60’s tone from his 24. I don’t know what pick ups he has in it.

I love the 594. It is different but quite close to the LP. IMO there is a much closer tonal connection between the LP and 594 than between the 24 and LP. I realize I’m just confirming your observations. So unless you conform to guitar site conventional thought ie get both, I’d go 24 and move it on for a 594 if it doesn’t float your boat.

My first PRS was a Custom 24 with 59/09’s. It was a great guitar, but it’s gone. I have a DC 594, LP and Strat. The 24 will offer they greatest distinction among what you already have. I thought the 24 was too modern sounding for my needs.

How close is the 594 to your R9 is it redundant? what do you prefer?
I'm not into metal ....so if the 24 is close to the bright tonal territory that favors metal tones ... it won't be for me.

If I was in a position to select the 594 or the CU24, I'd have gone with the 594 first. But I'd still end up with the CU24 :)

Me too. Also I think it might make financial sense to buy the 594 first then while you are saving up for your Custom 24 the difference in any price increase will likely be less.

How close is the 594 to your R9 is it redundant? what do you prefer?
I'm not into metal ....so if the 24 is close to the bright tonal territory that favors metal tones ... it won't be for me.

I haven't had a LP in ages, but my CU24 is not just a metal guitar. I actually tend to play more jazz fusion and blues/rock and the guitar sounds perfect for it. I think the brilliant thing about PRS guitars is that they kind of do anything. But if I want to kick into Dream Theater, it does that too. I think that's why you see everyone from Emil Werstler to Boscoe France to Al Di Meola to Dustie Waring and Mark Holcomb (both with custom pickups I believe) playing PRS. Same could be said of other brands as well of course.

My SC594 is pretty similar in tone to my LPs. So much so that I ended up selling my LPs and keeping the SC594 because I prefer the feel of the 594. There is a bit of difference but it's pretty close - I compared them back to back with video just to be sure before selling the LPs.
So with all that said, if you are looking for something that is different from and complimentary to what you have, it's probably the CU24. Personally I've never warmed up to those but I just struggle with 24 fret guitars for some reason. Personal problems I guess... ;-)

I have played a few unreal super 594s but most have not been "it" for me , prob the same reason I have a love hate thing with Les Pauls in general.
My current CU24 has 57/08s in it and I also had a CU24 with the more classic VB/HFS combo both are KILLER super versital guitar for me a CU24 would always be the first pick over a 594 for you if you find the CU24 overly bright or modern I would look into a DGT ( A Santana is killer also :) ) other to consider would be a 408 or Pauls Guitar , Modern Eagle and if you want to head more F type look at a 509/513

I have played a few unreal super 594s but most have not been "it" for me , prob the same reason I have a love hate thing with Les Pauls in general.
My current CU24 has 57/08s in it and I also had a CU24 with the more classic VB/HFS combo both are KILLER super versital guitar for me a CU24 would always be the first pick over a 594 for you if you find the CU24 overly bright or modern I would look into a DGT ( A Santana is killer also :) ) other to consider would be a 408 or Pauls Guitar , Modern Eagle and if you want to head more F type look at a 509/513

See, he said it too.....SANTANA!

Based on the information given I'd recommend the Custom 24 as well, especially if you have no desire to part with the LP or the Strat.

I'll add: don't necessarily discount the Custom 22 or the DGT. They're both a great middle ground between the Custom 24 and the 594.

Back