McCarty 594 vs 513

Heck, me being stuck on orange tiger is limiting my options!! But it's for personal reasons why I'm stuck on it (Clemson guy, dad played fball there, sister and I both went there), not to mention it's a beautiful guitar. And like I said in the OP it's a wedding gift from a very close family friend so it's something I'm gonna keep forever so that's why I'm being picky.

You could be making a mistake... not marrying that family friend instead.

This is a really tough choice. I had a 509 in Tiger orange. It was a killer guitar. I loved the mini toggles, with really cool fenderish sounds in the in between positions, and very nice humbucking sounds as well. A little hotter than the 594 in the bridge. I agree the middle position was great for JG tones. But I have a strat I like, and still wanted to try the 594 so exchanged it within the 30 day window for my DC 594 in Trampas Green. The 594 neck is a little beefier than the 503 I had, and It does get really close to the thick sound of a les Paul. I particularly love the clean sounds on the 594.

Some days I wish I had kept the 509, but I’m also happy to have the 594. One day I’ll have both, unless they ever come out with the core line super eagle (even more mini toggles!).

A few months ago I bought a 513 and it was essentially my first PRS. It was a great guitar, just not the right one for me. I've now got a 594 and absolutely love it. The 513 is super versatile, and can cover a lot more ground than the 594. But the 594 nails the vintage humbucker thing. Plus has nice sounded splits. I will probably end up with a 509 someday. Anyway here's my thoughts.

513 is outstanding. Jack of all trades and if not a master at them closer than many guitars that are trying to do just one of those trades. I'm not a trem guy, but it was super stable, and convinced me that if I found a PRS with a trem, that the trem wouldn't stop me from buying it. Comfortable neck. Not quite fender scale, but close. So a tighter feel to it. Single coil sounds were great, clear humbuckers very good, heavy humbuckers a bit much for me. Overall the output was higher than I expected, and balanced between the modes. Heavy humbucker was just a bit thick for what I do. It was still very clear and articulate, and if it was still the 90's and me 16, I would have loved it. But I go for a lower gain cleaner sound these days, so single coil and clear HB was all I really used. Someone said the necks are similar, they are, and they're not. While I had no problem with the 513 neck, IMO it's very middle ground for a neck. I like beefier necks and wished it had a bit more to it. But definitely better than the thinner necks that I can't get along with. So due I sold it due to the heavy HB mode not being for me, wishing the neck was a bit thicker, the higher output, and the color. That said I think a 509 would be right up my alley.

594 is killer. It's not a jack of all trades. It does what it does superbly. That's vintage voiced humbucker tones. It has a big beefy neck with an asymmetric carve. It has coil taps, and does single coils better than any humbucker I've tried before. And I don't put the 513 in that category as it's 5 single coils. But like the humbuckers, the single coil of the 594 is more vintage sounding and the 513 more modern. Having the separate volume and tones for each pickup is nice and gives you a lot of options. Plus it's got a hard tail and shorter scale length. So all around it's more what I am used to than the 513. But they really are at different ends of the spectrum.

So if you want more vintage tones, beefier neck, ability to blend tones and volumes, and a hard tail go 594. If you want a not quite as beefy neck, longer scale, trem, and plenty of tones, just with a more modern vibe go with the 513. Both are killer and hard to go wrong with, just very different versions of great.

I own a 509 and 594 (both in Fire Red) and both are superb guitars. As to which one you should get, that is almost like saying should you buy a Fender or Gibson - they are at opposite ends of the spectrum. If you want that 'vintage Les Paul' vibe with a very familiar layout too, then go for a 594. Similar scale length too but with the quality of PRS and modern features like Locking tuners and Coil Splits too. If you prefer the more Super Strat/Tele, then go for the 509 (don't think the 513 is available now but some retailers may have the odd one - maybe more limited in colour choice though). It has the longer scale length and H-S-H configuration but the Humbuckers can be split individually (unlike the 513 which splits both together) - you also get a tremolo with the 509 - if that matters to you. Or Split the difference and go for a Custom 24 LOL

I wouldn't recommend one over the other - even though I have both - because they are 'different'. I wouldn't say to someone who preferred Fenders to buy a Les Paul. Both have their place and it really comes down to personal preference and what you are looking for. Personally I love the 594 but that fits me better as someone who prefers the vintage humbucker vibe over the more modern Super Strat but the 509 is so versatile and such great tones, I could easily recommend that too. They really are at the opposite ends and you should go for the one that's closest to your preference.

I wouldn't recommend one over the other - even though I have both - because they are 'different'. I wouldn't say to someone who preferred Fenders to buy a Les Paul. Both have their place and it really comes down to personal preference and what you are looking for.

Totally agree with this worthy and insightful advice.

I own a 509 and 594 (both in Fire Red) and both are superb guitars. As to which one you should get, that is almost like saying should you buy a Fender or Gibson - they are at opposite ends of the spectrum. If you want that 'vintage Les Paul' vibe with a very familiar layout too, then go for a 594. Similar scale length too but with the quality of PRS and modern features like Locking tuners and Coil Splits too. If you prefer the more Super Strat/Tele, then go for the 509 (don't think the 513 is available now but some retailers may have the odd one - maybe more limited in colour choice though). It has the longer scale length and H-S-H configuration but the Humbuckers can be split individually (unlike the 513 which splits both together) - you also get a tremolo with the 509 - if that matters to you. Or Split the difference and go for a Custom 24 LOL

I wouldn't recommend one over the other - even though I have both - because they are 'different'. I wouldn't say to someone who preferred Fenders to buy a Les Paul. Both have their place and it really comes down to personal preference and what you are looking for. Personally I love the 594 but that fits me better as someone who prefers the vintage humbucker vibe over the more modern Super Strat but the 509 is so versatile and such great tones, I could easily recommend that too. They really are at the opposite ends and you should go for the one that's closest to your preference.

Thanks for the info, I'm very indecisive and keep going back and forth. This weekend I was even thinking of getting the HBII instead of 594 or 513 (509). I will figure it out soon and let the board know what I got!

Thanks for the info, I'm very indecisive and keep going back and forth. This weekend I was even thinking of getting the HBII instead of 594 or 513 (509). I will figure it out soon and let the board know what I got!

All very different! Again though it really comes down to what you want the guitar for, what are you looking for in terms of tone etc. I love the hollow-body myself and certainly would love to add one to my collection too but it would be more 'greed' than 'need'. I love the look of them too with the 'F' holes and if it suits your needs better, then its the better buy. I would get one for the Piezo if I was looking for an 'acoustic' guitar sound but its more a 'niche' thing for me right now. If its versatility and you are more familiar with 'strats/super strats' go with the 509/513, if its the more vintage humbucker sound and more familiar with LP's, go with the 594. If you want the Hollow-body/piezo sound go with HBII. Which ever model you get, you are buying a quality instrument and delivers on what it was built to deliver. The choice is more down to what you want the guitar for, the style of music, the tones etc because they are so different.

Anyway, good luck in your search and hope you find what you are looking for...

All very different! Again though it really comes down to what you want the guitar for, what are you looking for in terms of tone etc. I love the hollow-body myself and certainly would love to add one to my collection too but it would be more 'greed' than 'need'. I love the look of them too with the 'F' holes and if it suits your needs better, then its the better buy. I would get one for the Piezo if I was looking for an 'acoustic' guitar sound but its more a 'niche' thing for me right now. If its versatility and you are more familiar with 'strats/super strats' go with the 509/513, if its the more vintage humbucker sound and more familiar with LP's, go with the 594. If you want the Hollow-body/piezo sound go with HBII. Which ever model you get, you are buying a quality instrument and delivers on what it was built to deliver. The choice is more down to what you want the guitar for, the style of music, the tones etc because they are so different.

Anyway, good luck in your search and hope you find what you are looking for...

I'm mostly looking to get different tones than my semi-hollow and liked the 594 and 513 because I could still get humbucker tones and single coil/coil split. I play mostly country/blues, classic rock, and a lot of Dead/JGB. The issue w/ the 513 I was looking at is it's in Europe and needs a CITES permit for the rosewood so that may be a pain to do, also there isn't one in CLT for me to try out so I'd be buying w/o playing one.

I'm mostly looking to get different tones than my semi-hollow and liked the 594 and 513 because I could still get humbucker tones and single coil/coil split. I play mostly country/blues, classic rock, and a lot of Dead/JGB. The issue w/ the 513 I was looking at is it's in Europe and needs a CITES permit for the rosewood so that may be a pain to do, also there isn't one in CLT for me to try out so I'd be buying w/o playing one.

The 513 is now no longer part of the PRS core series and basically replaced by the 509. I am not sure how the 'Rosewood' issue affects 'older' guitars that were made before this situation occurred or if it only affects 'new' guitars. I assume any 513 now would be from stock that haven't been sold or second-hand. That will limit you anyway on availability and potential opportunity to find one.

If its really clean' single coil tones you want, the 509 is perhaps the 'better' choice as it is built with 5 single coils - part of the naming is relating to its 5 pick-ups and the 09 part relates to the 09 variations in tone selection. Its got the 5 way switch but the middle position (middle single coil) is the same whether you split the neck/bridge or not but each of the other 4 options (B, B+M, M+N, N) can have either the Split or Humbucker therefore doubling the options.

This video shows a good range of the tones in 'recognisable' tunes so you get to hear the 'single coil' in use.

As you can see it has a lot of potential to fulfil multiple genres - the only thing it can't offer is the Bridge/Neck Humbucker combo.

I do find the 509 to be much closer to the 'single' coil sounds you would expect from a strat/tele. The 594 is a great guitar but I do think its more of a Vintage Les Paul first and foremost with the added bonus of splitting the coils to give it a bit more versatility and options. Its a quality split too as it doesn't lose much in volume either but I think the Single coil sound is more like a thinner version of the humbucker tones it offers. I am not criticising it as it sounds fantastic but I don't think it sounds like a traditional Single coil.

You may want to skip to around the 6min point to hear the guitar with Humbucker and Split tones.

Anyway, that's my opinion and hope this helps you to come to your own opinion.

The 513 is now no longer part of the PRS core series and basically replaced by the 509. I am not sure how the 'Rosewood' issue affects 'older' guitars that were made before this situation occurred or if it only affects 'new' guitars. I assume any 513 now would be from stock that haven't been sold or second-hand. That will limit you anyway on availability and potential opportunity to find one.

If its really clean' single coil tones you want, the 509 is perhaps the 'better' choice as it is built with 5 single coils - part of the naming is relating to its 5 pick-ups and the 09 part relates to the 09 variations in tone selection. Its got the 5 way switch but the middle position (middle single coil) is the same whether you split the neck/bridge or not but each of the other 4 options (B, B+M, M+N, N) can have either the Split or Humbucker therefore doubling the options.

This video shows a good range of the tones in 'recognisable' tunes so you get to hear the 'single coil' in use.

As you can see it has a lot of potential to fulfil multiple genres - the only thing it can't offer is the Bridge/Neck Humbucker combo.

I do find the 509 to be much closer to the 'single' coil sounds you would expect from a strat/tele. The 594 is a great guitar but I do think its more of a Vintage Les Paul first and foremost with the added bonus of splitting the coils to give it a bit more versatility and options. Its a quality split too as it doesn't lose much in volume either but I think the Single coil sound is more like a thinner version of the humbucker tones it offers. I am not criticising it as it sounds fantastic but I don't think it sounds like a traditional Single coil.

You may want to skip to around the 6min point to hear the guitar with Humbucker and Split tones.

Anyway, that's my opinion and hope this helps you to come to your own opinion.

Ha, I was watching the 509 demo when you posted this. That middle pick up Jerry jam may of sold me on it. Would there be a way to mod a B+N humbucker?

Ha, I was watching the 509 demo when you posted this. That middle pick up Jerry jam may of sold me on it. Would there be a way to mod a B+N humbucker?

And this may be dumb but.... on the 594 with the pick up in the middle position and coil taps on, would that be similar to a middle single coil pickup?

And this may be dumb but.... on the 594 with the pick up in the middle position and coil taps on, would that be similar to a middle single coil pickup?

No - if you are on the 'middle' selection with both the coil taps on, you get both Neck and Bridge 'Split' pick ups together. In the middle selection you have the four options of H-H, H-S, S-H or S-S but nothing similar to a middle 'single' coil. If you want just a 'single' single coil sound, you have just the neck or bridge option with the 594. The three way is for Neck, both together or Bridge.

The only way to get a 'middle' single coil sound is with the guitars with a single coil in the middle. The 509, for example has that option - the middle position of the 5-way Blade - regardless of whether you have split the Neck or Bridge. With the 5 way, you have the Bridge (H or S) on its own, Bridge and Middle (H/S + S), Middle (S), Middle and neck (S + S/H) or neck (S or H). The advantage of the 509 over the 513 is that you can set the guitar up to be H-S-H, H-S-S, S-S-H or S-S-S so you can just use the blade. With the 513, you can't have the Neck split and the bridge as a Humbucker for example - you either have to have both split or both in a humbucker so if you wanted to go from the say a single coil neck to a humbucker bridge, you need to switch both the 3-way and 5-way blades. Neither the 509 or 513 though can offer the two humbuckers together like the 594 (or CU22, CU24 etc).

This is why I have both - 1 for the more traditional and vintage dual humbucker tones and 1 for the Super-strat/strat/tele and more 'modern' sounds.

Would there be a way to mod a B+N humbucker?

I don't know, I am sure you could but how much work it would be, I don't know. It looks like the two pick ups are individually mounted so I don't know if you would have to do work on the body to fit the humbuckers in you want. Its the same with the 513 too of course.

No - if you are on the 'middle' selection with both the coil taps on, you get both Neck and Bridge 'Split' pick ups together. In the middle selection you have the four options of H-H, H-S, S-H or S-S but nothing similar to a middle 'single' coil. If you want just a 'single' single coil sound, you have just the neck or bridge option with the 594. The three way is for Neck, both together or Bridge.

The only way to get a 'middle' single coil sound is with the guitars with a single coil in the middle. The 509, for example has that option - the middle position of the 5-way Blade - regardless of whether you have split the Neck or Bridge. With the 5 way, you have the Bridge (H or S) on its own, Bridge and Middle (H/S + S), Middle (S), Middle and neck (S + S/H) or neck (S or H). The advantage of the 509 over the 513 is that you can set the guitar up to be H-S-H, H-S-S, S-S-H or S-S-S so you can just use the blade. With the 513, you can't have the Neck split and the bridge as a Humbucker for example - you either have to have both split or both in a humbucker so if you wanted to go from the say a single coil neck to a humbucker bridge, you need to switch both the 3-way and 5-way blades. Neither the 509 or 513 though can offer the two humbuckers together like the 594 (or CU22, CU24 etc).

This is why I have both - 1 for the more traditional and vintage dual humbucker tones and 1 for the Super-strat/strat/tele and more 'modern' sounds.

I don't know, I am sure you could but how much work it would be, I don't know. It looks like the two pick ups are individually mounted so I don't know if you would have to do work on the body to fit the humbuckers in you want. Its the same with the 513 too of course.

Well I went with the 509 for the single coil tones, decided if I want N+B humbuckers I'll pick up my other guitar.

Thanks for all your help, I'll post a picture when it comes in.

Well I went with the 509 for the single coil tones, decided if I want N+B humbuckers I'll pick up my other guitar.

Thanks for all your help, I'll post a picture when it comes in.

Look forward to seeing it! This is mine...

Its not as if the 509 can't do Humbucker tones either as you have the option to use either the neck or bridge in single or humbucker format with just a single, simple switch. Its more a 'modern' Superstrat humbucker than the more vintage sounding 594 and you can't do the two humbuckers (bridge and neck combined) like you can with those dual Humbucker guitars - but you can still do a Humbucker (neck or bridge) and Humbucker (N or B) with the Middle single - like the super strats offer. 4 of the 9 options you have are using the neck or bridge in a 'humbucker' configuration.

If I was in a covers band that performed songs requiring me to own a Les Paul and Fender, I could probably get by with just the 509 much easier than just the 594. I prefer the 594 because it fits more with the rock music I loved where the guitarists were playing Gibson Les Pauls from the late 50's and 60's. Its also got a similar layout and the shorter scale length, no whammy bar either. The 509 is more like a fender in its Whammy bar but also more like the Ibanez Jem in its Pick-up arrangement. It probably won't do the extreme Whammy sounds that a Floyd Rose will. If you want the more versatile PRS that can still offer the Humbuckers as well as the single coil clarity that a strat/tele offers, then the 509 is the best option that PRS currently offer. It really is several guitars in one where as the 594 is really a more versatile vintage Les Paul in essence.

Anyway, I hope you are really happy with yours when it arrives and look forward to seeing piccies!

I know that this is "after the fact" but I though I would chime in (can't wait to see pics)

I had a 513 for a number of years & I presently own a 594. All I can say is that the guitars are both great guitars but they are different. If good single coil sounds are your number priority, then I would go with the 513 and the 5 position switch. If vintage classic rock humbucker sound is what you are after, then I would go with the 594. The 594 has a shorter scale than the 513 so bending strings feels quite different on each guitar. The feel of the necks of both guitars is also different, the only way to figure out which you like better is to play them both. If you need a versatile guitar that covers a broad spectrum of music, the 513 maybe what you are looking for.

PS - I also have 2 PRS Hollowbody guitars, which are very different than the above 2 guitars (I don't think that is much of a surprise)

Back