McCarty 594 vs 513

Smitty1517

Good morning everyone!

I am close to getting a new guitar, and between a 594 and 513. This is a wedding gift so I want it to be something I'll keep forever. First off, there is not a 513 around where I live for me to play before buying, so that's an issue. I played a 594 and really liked it. I currently play an Epiphone Sheraton but looking to get different tones through a solid body. That's why originally I wanted the 594 so I could use the coil taps to get different tones but still have the humbucker tones I love. Then I see the 513 and thought the 5 single coils were just what I wanted with the only knock being the can't be changed if I don't like them. Any advise on these guitars would be awesome. I primarily play at home everyday, or with friends and sit in with bands about once every month or so. Mainly play country/blues, classic rock, and a lot of Grateful Dead.

I have never played a 594, but own a 513.
If you like more of a Singlecut vibe with some single coils added in go with the 594.
If you're looking for a more versatile guitar that has also higher output humbucker setting and classic Strat 5-way choice for the single coils then go 513.

I never really bonded with a 513. Seems like a jack of all trades, master of none. Played a few in stores, and my buddy owned one for awhile (he felt the same way).

I really like the shorter scale of the 594, and the 58/15's are incredible (especially the LTs)

You picked two guitars at opposite ends of the spectrum I've played a fair number of 594s and own a 513

The 594 and the 513 necks are very similar shape wise IMHO ( Beefy )

513 - Longer Scale ( 25 1/4 ) and one of the ultimate tweaker guitars. Love that I can go from single coil to heavy hum bucker in a quick switch flip. 513 is one of my favorite guitar.
As far as master of none I could not disagree more the 513 has its own voice and can sound like many guitar if you need it to.
513s can be VERY different with the different wood types they come in just a note !!!

594 - Short scale and lower output pickups, no trem are the reasons I did'nt bond with it I think, it is killer sounding but not my to die for guitar.
The 594 is a killer short scale , vintage inspired ax , versatile and beefy sounding and feeling

If you are buying new the 513 in not in production the newer 509 sits even more firmly in the "F" camp, I have not played one yet but the 408 style switching is simpler the the 513 switching

Reactions: jxe
Having the luxury of some "excellent" Singlecuts (and Doublecuts) with 2 HB/splitable pickups, I would personally go with the 513. I never really bonded with a "Strat" type guitar until the 513. BUT it is also so much more than that.

509 now, the scales are very different but the neck feel can be similar. The 513/509 is a rewarding beast when you spend the time with it, the 594's I like. IS your preference in 594 for a DC or SC?

Guys, we all know the correct answer is “Get both.”

f5CXEvr.gif

Mainly play country/blues, classic rock, and a lot of Grateful Dead.

It's probably my bias showing, but that's some really enjoyable territory on the 594, though both will surely cover it nicely. I'd have loved a 509/513 on the side but went with a CU24 (57/08s) since I needed the shorter scale length. That's a legitimately wonderful pairing either way, and you can essentially do no wrong by adding that tonal versatility.

I love my 509 with maple neck and ebony fretboard. I also own both a single-cut and double-cut 594. If you want a real vintage Les Paul vibe with modern things like coil splits - 594 (the single-cut if you want the Les Paul look as well). If you want a more stratty guitar then a 513/509 would be a great option with it's longer scale length and in my case maple neck for a more strat-like feel. I opted for the 509 over the 513 because I wanted to get the coil-splits with no volume drop that I find really nice in a band context. The coil splits with no volume drop was first developed for the 408, which is another great option that could be a great option if you want something between a 509/513 and a 594.

So now the obvious solution is to get all three :)

Being a 305 owner, and having had my way with a buddy's 513, I'd be jonesing for a 594, and probably SC. But... I have not played a 594, so I have nothing to compare.
The 513, and by default the 509 are wonderfully versatile guitars.
Tough decision but I must say you can't go wrong.
Maybe... a used 513, cuz you can use it for weeks without losing any value. If it doesn't float your boat, then flip it for a 594.
Or... as the wise men before me have stated... get both.

509 now, the scales are very different but the neck feel can be similar. The 513/509 is a rewarding beast when you spend the time with it, the 594's I like. IS your preference in 594 for a DC or SC?

DC
nynsrlj4n6njabsxb1zr.jpg

achefbuxiifkezpgys8v.jpg

Only issue with the 513 I'm looking at on reverb is it's in Europe :(

It looks like you are set on the color! That's a start!! :D

Heck, me being stuck on orange tiger is limiting my options!! But it's for personal reasons why I'm stuck on it (Clemson guy, dad played fball there, sister and I both went there), not to mention it's a beautiful guitar. And like I said in the OP it's a wedding gift from a very close family friend so it's something I'm gonna keep forever so that's why I'm being picky.

Heck, me being stuck on orange tiger is limiting my options!! But it's for personal reasons why I'm stuck on it (Clemson guy, dad played fball there, sister and I both went there), not to mention it's a beautiful guitar. And like I said in the OP it's a wedding gift from a very close family friend so it's something I'm gonna keep forever so that's why I'm being picky.
Orange Tiger is da bomb!!!

Back