McCarty 594 vs 408 for versatility

So, after some protracted and very painful negotiations with SWMBO, I have now reserved a 408 Signature Limited in Eriza Verde. Unfortunately, the NUGD will have to wait until November, as part of the deal was that it would be my 40th birthday present. Luckily the dealer was willing to work with me and the down payment has been made. I hope you guys don't mind that I was vague on the details, but with the rarity of these, I did not want to publicly announce the great guitar I was eyeing.

In any case, the decision was made a lot easier once I decided to get both the 408 and a 594. Guess, I need to buy a expensive Christmas gift for the wife and then slowly and subtly start working on why I need a 594...

On a somewhat related note, I almost got distracted by 2 Modern Eagle IIIs, a McCarty Brazilian Limited (only 500 of those were made), a Custom 22 with Artist package finished in Abalone, a McCarty 594 in Eriza Verde with a flamed maple neck (luckily it is in the US and import duties are prohibitively expensive) and one of the original Singlecuts with the Brazilian rosewood necks. Except for the Custom 22, all of them are still available and I would appreciate it if someone else would remove those temptations from eBay - I have done my bit to save others from GAS!

So, after some protracted and very painful negotiations with SWMBO, I have now reserved a 408 Signature Limited in Eriza Verde. Unfortunately, the NUGD will have to wait until November, as part of the deal was that it would be my 40th birthday present. Luckily the dealer was willing to work with me and the down payment has been made. I hope you guys don't mind that I was vague on the details, but with the rarity of these, I did not want to publicly announce the great guitar I was eyeing.

In any case, the decision was made a lot easier once I decided to get both the 408 and a 594. Guess, I need to buy a expensive Christmas gift for the wife and then slowly and subtly start working on why I need a 594...

On a somewhat related note, I almost got distracted by 2 Modern Eagle IIIs, a McCarty Brazilian Limited (only 500 of those were made), a Custom 22 with Artist package finished in Abalone, a McCarty 594 in Eriza Verde with a flamed maple neck (luckily it is in the US and import duties are prohibitively expensive) and one of the original Singlecuts with the Brazilian rosewood necks. Except for the Custom 22, all of them are still available and I would appreciate it if someone else would remove those temptations from eBay - I have done my bit to save others from GAS!

There are lots of shiny things to get distracted by. I can attest to their seductive lure by looking at my walls! I MIGHT be able to squeeze a couple more in!

So, after some protracted and very painful negotiations with SWMBO, I have now reserved a 408 Signature Limited in Eriza Verde. Unfortunately, the NUGD will have to wait until November, as part of the deal was that it would be my 40th birthday present.

4 0 8 .... 40th birthday present... I get it.

Still, you'd think dude would let you snap a pic when you gave him the down payment.

Nah........we`re all screwed enablers who don`t seem to have any intention of quitting. I just need one more than I have.............

I haven't seen the guitar in the flesh yet...:oops: However, I am pretty confident that I'll get along with the pattern neck and I have spent a fair amount of time reviewing the sounds from the 408 pickups, so I am pretty confident I'll get tones out of it that I'll like. This is one of the 400 made in 2012 and not the 100 from 2011 - I did find one, but it costs more than I am comfortable paying.

Here are some pictures from the website while I spend a long four months waiting...
1488212669_5644.jpg

1488212688_9489.jpg

4 0 8 .... 40th birthday present... I get it.

Still, you'd think dude would let you snap a pic when you gave him the down payment.

Never really thought of it this way, but I am afraid I can't use that line of reasoning - no way that I am waiting 19 years for a 594! 5 9 4 = 59th birthday present by that logic! :p

Never really thought of it this way, but I am afraid I can't use that line of reasoning - no way that I am waiting 19 years for a 594! 5 9 4 = 59th birthday present by that logic! :p

Trust me, you'll still want one, even then, though I'd recommend getting it soon. Because who knows what woods will still be available?

I haven't seen the guitar in the flesh yet...:oops: However, I am pretty confident that I'll get along with the pattern neck and I have spent a fair amount of time reviewing the sounds from the 408 pickups, so I am pretty confident I'll get tones out of it that I'll like. This is one of the 400 made in 2012 and not the 100 from 2011 - I did find one, but it costs more than I am comfortable paying.

Here are some pictures from the website while I spend a long four months waiting...
1488212669_5644.jpg

1488212688_9489.jpg

That's great that you found a solution to satisfy both you and your wife.

Four months isn't so bad, I guess. I think the torture of it is that you've already seen what you're getting. Still, if it were me, pic one would be my phone background and pic two would be the background on my laptop. :cool:

The switch layout was better for me as well. I bought a 408 first and found the trem arm to always be in the way of the switch blade. Having the 3 way where it is on the Sig Ltd is definitely easier for me to work with. If I ordered a private stock version of this I would have switched place on the tone knob and the coil split switches as well.

Congrats on the Siggy Ltd for your upcoming birthday :)

Last edited:
Back