McCarty 594 Singlecut neck

Phil M

I have no chance to try one of these but have read that the 594 necks are large, even bigger than regular McCartys.

I have some ‘57 reissue Historic Les Pauls and the ‘57 necks are huge. I’m used to them because I’ve played them so long but I wouldn’t mind a smaller neck. The ‘58s are slightly smaller but not much. The Pattern Regular neck on my 2015 Custom 24 is nice. If you’ve got experience with these, how does the 594 SC neck compare?

Thanks

I have no chance to try one of these but have read that the 594 necks are large, even bigger than regular McCartys.

I have some ‘57 reissue Historic Les Pauls and the ‘57 necks are huge. I’m used to them because I’ve played them so long but I wouldn’t mind a smaller neck. The ‘58s are slightly smaller but not much. The Pattern Regular neck on my 2015 Custom 24 is nice. If you’ve got experience with these, how does the 594 SC neck compare?

Thanks

I had an R8 and that neck was like a baseball bat compared to the neck on my 594's. I'm not positive, but I would say it's closer to the 59 neck. I can tell you this; there is something uniquely comfortable about the 594 neck. Not sure if it's the Vintage carve, the "worn" frets, or what. It feels like an old comfortable baseball glove.

From browsing the Wildwood site (they measure all the necks), the depth of Pattern Regular is around .84-.85" and the Pattern Vintage is .88-.89" at the first fret. .95 and .97"-ish at the 12th fret, respectively. Regular also is 32nd of an inch narrower at the nut compared to Vintage.

The Regular is definitely a little easier to get my hand around, but it doesn't feel particularly small in comparison to Vintage. I notice less of a difference between Vintage and Wide Fat. I get around equally well on all three, but I think they added the extra meat on Vintage in all the right places to fit my hand just right. I think since it's asymmetrical, it doesn't feel as big as a C profile neck of the same depth.

Maybe this will help you decide which neck is right for you?
neck carves.jpg

I had an R8 and that neck was like a baseball bat compared to the neck on my 594's. I'm not positive, but I would say it's closer to the 59 neck. I can tell you this; there is something uniquely comfortable about the 594 neck. Not sure if it's the Vintage carve, the "worn" frets, or what. It feels like an old comfortable baseball glove.

I'm with Bodia here. I feel the pattern vintage close to my 59s in thickness, but with an "oval" shape that fits better in your hand.

@TwelfthTangent and @Shawn@PRS , thanks. Those are both helpful posts. My current PRS is the Pattern Regular, so I guess that’s my guide. Honestly, based on the chart above, the Pattern Thin and Pattern Regular seem closer than I would’ve thought.

@TwelfthTangent and @Shawn@PRS , thanks. Those are both helpful posts. My current PRS is the Pattern Regular, so I guess that’s my guide. Honestly, based on the chart above, the Pattern Thin and Pattern Regular seem closer than I would’ve thought.

The Pattern carve and Pattern Thin are the same width at the nut, but the "thin" is thinner front to back. The Regular feels like a Pattern, but slightly narrower at the nut. The Vintage carve is beefy, but asymmetrical, with the treble side having a softer shoulder than the bass side. This makes for a very comfortable playing position.

Thanks for the info. The good thing is I already know I can be comfortable on both the Historic neck and the Pattern Regular. Now just gotta decide between a McCarty, a 594 or a 594 SC. I already know the color I’d want LOL ... but that is the nice thing about PRS IMO. You can pretty much buy one without playing it first because they are consistent as hell.

Yeah, but 1/32" in either direction makes a noticeable difference on a guitar neck. I like that extra depth even with the narrower nut. All the profiles are fine for me, except the Thin ones.

Yeah, but 1/32" in either direction makes a noticeable difference on a guitar neck. I like that extra depth even with the narrower nut. All the profiles are fine for me, except the Thin ones.

Yup, same. I’ll prob get either a regular McCarty or a 594 SC so it won’t be thin either way.

I'm not neck picky, but most of my guitars have smaller/thinner necks. 594 just doesn't "feel" like a big hunkin' neck carve to me.
It's just feels so..... right........ Hard to describe since I don't focus on the necks that much. Guess I'm just weird.

I'm not neck picky, but most of my guitars have smaller/thinner necks. 594 just doesn't "feel" like a big hunkin' neck carve to me.
It's just feels so..... right........ Hard to describe since I don't focus on the necks that much. Guess I'm just weird.

I’m in a similar boat. I’m not particularly picky other than very thin necks, which PRS doesn’t really have. Even Wide Thin isn’t a toothpick.

My question was more to get a comparison since access to PRS locally is very limited. I’ve never actually seen a 594 in person. I think I’d be happy with most PRS necks, I’m just trying to zone in on my best options. Also, after playing Gibson Historic R7s and R8s for nearly 20 years, I’m suddenly kind of tired of the ridiculously huge neck carves on some of these.

Thanks, all.

I’m in a similar boat. I’m not particularly picky other than very thin necks, which PRS doesn’t really have. Even Wide Thin isn’t a toothpick.

My question was more to get a comparison since access to PRS locally is very limited. I’ve never actually seen a 594 in person. I think I’d be happy with most PRS necks, I’m just trying to zone in on my best options. Also, after playing Gibson Historic R7s and R8s for nearly 20 years, I’m suddenly kind of tired of the ridiculously huge neck carves on some of these.

Thanks, all.
I have a hunch, just a hunch, that it’s the thick necks of the Historics and the PRS Bernie Marsdens, that give them part of their magic tone.

I have a hunch, just a hunch, that it’s the thick necks of the Historics and the PRS Bernie Marsdens, that give them part of their magic tone.

Perhaps this is true.

But I just want to say that the top on that DGT in your avatar is stunning. I’m not generally into huge flame but that guitar looks incredible.

Perhaps this is true.

But I just want to say that the top on that DGT in your avatar is stunning. I’m not generally into huge flame but that guitar looks incredible.
Thats an old dealer pic of the Collection DGT. These came out in the infancy of the Collection Series programme and are the stuff of legend now (well at least to me). They have quilt tops. More dealer old pics:
183435-2up.jpg

183432-2small.jpg

184246-2small.jpg

Back