McCarty 594 Core Model Review Please !

Instead of posting a normal NGD, I'll just show this off here and give you the unique story. Totally unplanned, MY WIFE & I actually went in together on the purchase of this guitar, each one of us paying half. So, what you see here is the guitar I wanted, while she picked out the single piece Maple top and color that SHE wanted. As a result, WE are both very happy with our new baby that we brought home from Stevensville MD.

PRS2016_McCarty594.jpg

Gorgeous guitar and a very cool story indeed! So who gets the case half, and who gets the guitar half? ;)

Hey guys, in all of your excitement, you blew right by Grapeshot's question, LOL!

Is the 594 body thickness like the old McCarty or thicker like a Singlecut?

In between. Definitely thicker than a DC Ted or McCarty. Not as thick as an SC 245 and nowhere near as thick as the meaty McCarty Singlecut.

HANGAR18 - Wow, that's a killer one, love that one piece top, cool finish, and a GREAT story behind it!!

Chris/goof, Les and everyone else, congrats on your new acquisitions and orders! I look forward to those NGD's.

Kingsley has a pretty high bar given the amazing guitars he has owned (many of which I have had the privilege of hearing and playing), so I was very pleased to hear his very positive report on the model! (Sorry again that I snagged the Willcutt's one before you got a chance to play it, Kingsley. ;))

I am in agreement with Kingsley, best ever PRS model for those "classic Doublecut" tones...

Chris/goof, Les and everyone else, congrats on your new acquisitions and orders! I look forward to those NGD's.
Thanks Pete...to be perfectly honest your thoughts / review on this model is one of the major contributing factors are my decision to purchase one; I love that SC Ted RW that I got off of you so I knew our tastes in tone were going to align enough to go after this model.

Now ofcourse, like you, I am really thinking about a 594 SC.

I play, she listens.

And by "listen" I mean that she goes downstairs, closes the doors and turns up the TV real loud. :p

Heheh!

My wife "listens" by going upstairs, closing the doors, and turning the TV up to ear-splitting levels. We should introduce them.

EDIT: Oh wait, we can't introduce them because your wife might tell mine how much they actually cost....

My NGD was last Friday. I've spent a week with the 594 and carried it to a rehearsal for the first time tonight. All I can say is WOW! Killer guitar in every way! Tone, feel, looks... All awesome! I only have 4 guitars, but the 594 is officially my new #1. (My other 2 are a G and F brand guitar and a CU24 SE)

Last edited:
Thanks Pete...to be perfectly honest your thoughts / review on this model is one of the major contributing factors are my decision to purchase one; I love that SC Ted RW that I got off of you so I knew our tastes in tone were going to align enough to go after this model.

Now ofcourse, like you, I am really thinking about a 594 SC.

Glad I could help!! ;)

Yes, I am definitely thinking about a 594 SC PS build...

Heheh!

My wife "listens" by going upstairs, closing the doors, and turning the TV up to ear-splitting levels. We should introduce them.

EDIT: Oh wait, we can't introduce them because your wife might tell mine how much they actually cost....

hahaha My wife has been really great with regard to my guitar hobby. I've taught her how to recognize all the fine details and subtle differences between all the different guitars I have in my collection and what every little feature costs. This comes in really handy when I'm considering a guitar or I've bought a guitar because I go through a routine explanation like... "This guitar has this, this, this, and it should cost this but I'm getting one hell of a deal by only paying this for it when it should cost a whole lot more because of all these factors this guitar has". I almost never pay actual sticker price and so she is also very aware of how much money I save and that helps her accept how much the guitar costs. Ultimately, she knows how well my guitars are made, how good they look and I feel she understands why they cost thousands of dollars each instead of hundreds of dollars each.

hahaha My wife has been really great with regard to my guitar hobby. I've taught her how to recognize all the fine details and subtle differences between all the different guitars I have in my collection and what every little feature costs.

My wife is completely uninterested when I talk guitars, and says things like, "Let's talk makeup instead." That usually shuts me right up.

On the plus side, she really isn't all that concerned about the cost - she's never grilled me about it. That's probably because I use them in my business. When I had a law firm, she didn't ask me how much I spent on equipment and overhead. In a music production business, I think she knows that studio equipment is part of the deal.

Nonetheless, it's a very good thing I have my buddies here to talk guitars with, because honestly, there's no one around here who really shares the passion!

^^^^^
My "Better Half's" eyes glaze over very quickly. She pays just about enough attention to recognize if the amplifier is turned on.

On the positive side, she cares little for how MANY there are, just so long as they do not intrude (too much) into "her space".

On the positive side, she cares little for how MANY there are, just so long as they do not intrude (too much) into "her space".

Yeh, I get that. My Mrs. doesn't appreciate the cases everywhere, but since my studio is in my basement, I can't in good conscience risk the guitars because we all know what can happen to basement spaces with water, etc.

So I do keep the guitars in my den.

Back