McCarty 594 Core Model Review Please !

You just got me off the fence re: ordering one.

Update: Ordered one of Jack's WL run. Done!

You are to be congratulated for having a bad case of "how can I resist?", Les, after just receiving some really nice pieces in the not to distant past. I am anxious to hear your findings.

Fixed! ;)

Last edited:
You are to be congratulated for having big balls, Les, after just receiving some really nice pieces in the not to distant past. I am anxious to hear your findings.

It's funny, I don't have many guitars - but I can't resist the ones that have a vintage vibe.

So...not a case of balls, more a case of "how can I resist?" I can't. ;)

You just got me off the fence re: ordering one.

Update: Ordered one of Jack's WL run. Done!

Well it's about time. Methinks you will be quite happy.

In do time, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how it compares to HOTG as that was the one guitar I regret passing on.

Here's my review, short and to the point. The guitar performs as advertised and I already knew that I was going to like the pickups. Anything that PRSh was this excited about is worth paying attention to. Not just another reason to like PRS guitars but they really hit a home run with this one. I LOVE this new 594! I think I have an actual Les Paul that is about to go up on Craigslist. hahaha

Matt, I played an artist pkg version of the production 594 yesterday at CR Guitars.

All I can say is: wow. And -- as I think you know -- I speak as the [now former] owner of a vintage Les Paul with PAFs and the whole package. (it was a boogered-up '52 that ended up being turned into a '59 by arguably the best guy in the business) I thought the 594 came closer, overall, to the vintage Gibson in terms of feel, look, and sound, than any of PRS' previous efforts in that direction. Including, notably, the Hammer of the Gods single-cut. Caveat: I haven't played any of the "Miss February" run.

It was also way better, in all respects, than any of the bazillion R9s I've played & owned.

Bottom line is, if I wanted to have a guitar with that feel, look, and sound, I'd have bought that 594 then and there.

Thank you so much for the review, thats very reassuring to know. I've always been a die hard Singelcut lover which make up about 90% of my current PRS collection, so the decision to buy the McCarty 594 was a gamble...that being said, form the reviews, it may have appeared to have paid off :)

I also own a couple of Gibson Custom shops. Whilst i think the Gibsons are great, in my own humble opinion, they're not in the same ball park as PRS SC245's or SC58's.

Very Respectfully,

Matt

Instead of posting a normal NGD, I'll just show this off here and give you the unique story. Totally unplanned, MY WIFE & I actually went in together on the purchase of this guitar, each one of us paying half. So, what you see here is the guitar I wanted, while she picked out the single piece Maple top and color that SHE wanted. As a result, WE are both very happy with our new baby that we brought home from Stevensville MD.

PRS2016_McCarty594.jpg

Instead of posting a normal NGD, I'll just show this off here and give you the unique story. Totally unplanned, MY WIFE & I actually went in together on the purchase of this guitar, each one of us paying half. So, what you see here is the guitar I wanted, while she picked out the single piece Maple top and color that SHE wanted. As a result, WE are both very happy with our new baby that we brought home from Stevensville MD.

PRS2016_McCarty594.jpg

That is a sweet guitar

PRS2016_McCarty594.jpg
Very cool! Now you AV pic is really going to get crowded! Congrats!

PRS2016_McCarty594.jpg

I really love that color! WOW! Congratulations!

I've always been a die hard Singelcut lover which make up about 90% of my current PRS collection, so the decision to buy the McCarty 594 was a gamble...
Matt, I hear ya!! I am also a die hard Singlecut guy, although I did have a number of McCarty variations in rotation throughout the years...but there is just something very "at home" about the 594 and it's not just the 3-way's location. I really need to spend more time with mine, but you really should have nothing to worry about...

PRS2016_McCarty594.jpg

Do you both play it?

Not that I am counting Les, but nice addition to the growing collection!!!

Well, there aren't that many compared to most guys here, but...when this one comes, it'll make six.

I'm not sure I want to take care of that many guitars. Last time I had six was the early 2000s, and I drove myself nuts just deciding what to play on a given track.

I never wanted to be so acquisitive again, and yet, here I am. I blame PRS for coming out with so much juicy stuff in recent years. ;)

Matt, I hear ya!! I am also a die hard Singlecut guy, although I did have a number of McCarty variations in rotation throughout the years...but there is just something very "at home" about the 594 and it's not just the 3-way's location. I really need to spend more time with mine, but you really should have nothing to worry about...
Thanks Goof, I'm really looking forward to getting it. Matt.

Back