Martin Simpson - Why He Is My New Favorite Artist

jfb

Plank Owner
Tell me this song doesn't crush your soul.

You showed me eyebright in the hedgerow,
speedwell and travellers joy.
You showed me how to use my eyes
When I was just a boy;
And you taught me how to love a song
And all you knew of nature's ways:
The greatest gifts I have ever known,
And I use them every day.

Beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool that he has them.
I could also use a lesson on tuning from him. It was very interesting to watch one part of his brain change tunings while the other part chatted with the audience about a song he was going to do.

I am going to buy one with the lesson. No way I could play it. Not even close, but I want to see how they look.

I am going to buy one with the lesson. No way I could play it. Not even close, but I want to see how they look.

Don't sell yourself short. I felt the same way about Michael Hedges tunes, and actually got one half-decent. I was working on a second one, but I don't think I ever recorded it.

And some of those transcriptions are so cool to look at. The Stropes transcriptions of Hedges' material are almost works of art.

Tab confuses the hell out of me.

I have a much easier time with standard notation, but then again, as a keyboard player, I was raised on it.

I prefer standard notation as well. I can work with tab, but I think you need standard notation. Then again, I'm not as worried about note-perfect replication of songs. I like tab for showing me different ways of playing a phrase, though.

Don't sell yourself short. I felt the same way about Michael Hedges tunes, and actually got one half-decent. I was working on a second one, but I don't think I ever recorded it.

And some of those transcriptions are so cool to look at. The Stropes transcriptions of Hedges' material are almost works of art.

Yeah man. Good point. Thanks.

Back