Mann Made bridge - big difference? Videos?

Pakwaan

Living Room Rock Star
i bought a CE 24 this weekend, and so far 4 people have recommended that I replace the bridge. It’s only $200 so not a big deal, I can order one. But how much distinguishable difference does it really make in either tremolo functionality or actual sound? Is there an A/B or before/after video or audio recording anywhere highlighting the sound differences on a PRS before and after replacing the bridge? I found only a Gibson SG video they posted on YouTube thats obviously irrelevant to the PRS. I find it hard to believe that PRS would put the Korean tremolo on the CE if it was crap.

I have guitars with damn near every bridge PRS has used, except phase III. The big question is....do you like the way it sounds with the bridge that came on it? I think we're all too quick to replace, mostly because we can. I have an SE Singlecut and an SE Tremonti with the Korean bridge, and they sound fantastic to my ears. I have an SE 30th Anni Custom 24 that needed some goosing. It got the Mannmade NOS, but only because I didn't like the sound of the original. My other core have anywhere from the original to phase II to the "other" Mann made. If I like the sound of the original, it stays. Other than replacing the nut on SE's, I don't think there a single thing that always "has" to be changed. YMMV, but let your ears be the judge, not what other people say.

Last edited:
I have guitars with damn near every bridge PRS has used, except phase III. The big question is....do you like the way it sounds with the bridge that came on it? I think we're all too quick to replace, mostly because we can. I have an SE Singlecut and an SE Tremonti with the Korean bridge, and they sound fantastic to my ears. I have an SE 30th Anni Custom 24 that needed some goosing. It got the Mannmade NOS, but only because I didn't like the sound of the original. My other core have anywhere from the original to phase II to the "other" Mann made. If I like the sound of the original, it stays. Other than replacing the nut on SE's, I don't think there a single thing that always "has" to be changed. YMMV, but let your ears be the judge, not what other people say.
That’s a very valid and interesting hypothesis! There’s a couple of interesting Andertons videos, where Lee does blindfold comparisons of valve amps and single cut guitars. The results are surprising and in some cases show how we buy gear on the basis of what we see, rather than what our ears and fingers tell us!

That’s the question. I do like the way it sounds. But I have no idea if I would like it better with the solid brass bridge since I haven’t heard it. Coming from a Les Paul, with a very warm thick sound, the PRS sounds brighter/thinner, but that’s the point of getting something different.

my ears say the MannMade has bit more high end and punch, which seems it like it may be opposite to what others hear. I prefer it myself. YMMV.

That being said, I feel the saddles make up a good portion of this difference and is a relatively inexpensive and easily reversed mod.

So now that I’ve ordered my DGT, the question is: should I even consider swapping the 2000NOS that’s in my SE Santana and putting it in the DGT.

Risky? I’ll for sure wait to play the DGT stock first. But I do like what it did in the Santana.

Back